11 fish (temporarily) in 10 gallon?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Platysrcool12345

Reaction score
Hi, we are replacing our carpet with laminate and in my room I have my 50 gallon auquarium. I siphoned the water into a 10 gallon tank and put my 3 mollies, 7 platies, betta, and 3 African dwarf frogs. The water is fairly clean and I have an air stone in the tanks. I probably canā€™t get the tank set up for two days, three tops. Will my fish be okay? I have a second 10 gallon I could set up if there will be problems. Thanks

Frogs will probably do better in the ten than they were in the 50 with fish. 50 is a longer distance for the frogs to swim to the top to get air. As long as the water has a heater and some water flow they should be ok for a day or 2, wouldnt hurt to do daily water changes. Id suggest keeping the frogs in a separate tank as they dont do well with fish and will be much happier and healthy in a tank without fish. As for the betta it should also be kept in a tank alone without frogs or fish, good luck!

You have to separate your Betta & African Dwarf Frog. your betta will be much more territorial inside 10 gallon and might kill/ hurt your mollies & platy or stress out. And if you don't want to keep ADF with fish. They are messy eater and might not get anything too eat

Frogs will probably do better in the ten than they were in the 50 with fish. 50 is a longer distance for the frogs to swim to the top to get air. As long as the water has a heater and some water flow they should be ok for a day or 2, wouldnt hurt to do daily water changes. Id suggest keeping the frogs in a separate tank as they dont do well with fish and will be much happier and healthy in a tank without fish. As for the betta it should also be kept in a tank alone without frogs or fish, good luck!
You have to separate your Betta & African Dwarf Frog. your betta will be much more territorial inside 10 gallon and might kill/ hurt your mollies & platy or stress out. And if you don't want to keep ADF with fish. They are messy eater and might not get anything too eat
Thanks. I put the African dwarf frogs in the other 10 gallon and the betta in a clean 5 gallon bucket just siphoning the water

Thanks. I put the African dwarf frogs in the other 10 gallon and the betta in a clean 5 gallon bucket just siphoning the water
That's a great idea
How long has your ADF live with your fishes? Is there anything odd behavior ? If there's not I think you can keep them with fish. But I am not entirely sure since I never kept one myself.

That's a great idea
How long has your ADF live with your fishes? Is there anything odd behavior ? If there's not I think you can keep them with fish. But I am not entirely sure since I never kept one myself.
Dwarf frogs shouldnt be kept with fish. First they are very shy creatures and belong in groups to feel safe. They also have poor eyesight and rely on smell to locate food in which case fish will out compete them for food as they are also slow food finders. When with fish they become reclusive and timid and more shy and usually hide all day. In s tank with just frogs they will float at the top swim around breed and even make croaking chirps to eachother that can be heard. Also they need sand as food gets lost and trapped between gravel which they cant find and the bacteria between the gravel can give them bacterial infections as they spend alot of time on the substrate. Also a 50 is too tall for them as they need to go to surface to get air. Id permanently keep them in the 10 gallon by themselves and add a few more. I had 6 in a ten gallon and they even had babies. Theyre a lot of fun when in a tank without fish, with fish all they do is hide and starve:(

Dwarf frogs shouldnt be kept with fish. First they are very shy creatures and belong in groups to feel safe. They also have poor eyesight and rely on smell to locate food in which case fish will out compete them for food as they are also slow food finders. When with fish they become reclusive and timid and more shy and usually hide all day. In s tank with just frogs they will float at the top swim around breed and even make croaking chirps to eachother that can be heard. Also they need sand as food gets lost and trapped between gravel which they cant find and the bacteria between the gravel can give them bacterial infections as they spend alot of time on the substrate. Also a 50 is too tall for them as they need to go to surface to get air. Id permanently keep them in the 10 gallon by themselves and add a few more. I had 6 in a ten gallon and they even had babies. Theyre a lot of fun when in a tank without fish, with fish all they do is hide and starve:(
That's a great idea
My African dwarf frogs have been with my fish for about a year. I will keep the 10 gallon set up though. The dwarf frogs seem to do fine in the 50 they have rocks and caves to jump on to get air and I make sure the fish donā€™t eat their food. They commonly float at the top like you said. But if they will be happier that way Iā€™ll set up the 10 permanently. Iā€™ve never heard them croak before though. Thanks

They will be fine for a couple of days. Don't feed them until they are back in the tank, and make sure you put the filter in/ on the container. If the filter doesn't fit on the container, clean the media/ materials in a bucket of tank water and then put the media in the container with the fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back