100Gal Cleanup Crew

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

1234-fishy-freind

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi guys.
Its time I got a decent cleanup crew together in my reef tank. So far it consists of a cleaner shrimp and 6 red-leg hermits.
What species you recommened for a good cleanup crew? I remember reading that a certain snal species will often fall off rocks onto its side, cannot right over then die, but I can't remember what snail it was?

So basically im looking for a couple of good snail species as well as anything else. I quite like urchins too, but how easy are they to maintain?

thanks
josh

Hi guys.
Its time I got a decent cleanup crew together in my reef tank. So far it consists of a cleaner shrimp and 6 red-leg hermits.
What species you recommened for a good cleanup crew? I remember reading that a certain snal species will often fall off rocks onto its side, cannot right over then die, but I can't remember what snail it was?

So basically im looking for a couple of good snail species as well as anything else. I quite like urchins too, but how easy are they to maintain?

thanks
josh

im pretty sure the snails your talking about are astreas that cant right themselves up, well a really small chance, maybe 10%?

I would suggest some of those small blue-leg hermits from the carribean, i have never had any problems with those and they are 99.99% reef safe! For snails, i would go with nassarius's and ceriths cause ceriths actually eat the algae out of the sand.

if ur paranoid of being poisoned by spiny urchins, i would go with tuxedo's because they have relatively blunt spines compared to other urchins. land mine urchins are good as well, except that they eat rock, (crazy, i know).

In general, I would second Nemo's suggestion because turbos are arguably the best (most active) cleaners. However, they tend to knock corals and rocks over so if your going to have turbos, you better stabalize your rocks and corals or your whole system will come tumbling down :look: .

i have a mexican turbo snail it can grow 2.5 inchs plus! he eats every thing and i think it will be good in your tank because you have a big one. what about serpent stars? there cool.

Tubos, nassarius and ceriths it is then.
I like the look of those mexican ones harry. I think they'd be a bit more noticable in a large tank like mine too.

I will do some research into urchins and possibly get one.

thanks guys
josh

I prefer Banded Trocheus to Turbos they just seem to do a better job as they are always on the go here is what I have in my 100 Gallon to keep it clean

Cereiths are good General Cleaners and turn sand to boot
Banded Trocheus great general cleaners
Turbo normal Good general cleaners
Super Turbo good general cleaner prone to knock things over
Tongan Nassirius great for turning Sand
Astrea Good general cleaners
Orange lipped Conch great addtion to the CUC
Tuxedo Urchins also great part of the CUC
Cleaner shrimp only eats frozen
Peppermint Shrimps just in case of Aiptasia
Hectors Goby Great for cleaning up filamantous Algae (Like Hair) (Not got one yet but on the list)
Silver Bellied Wrasse for flat worms
Hermits have about 5 diffrent species
Mithrax for general algae munching

I am sure but its quiet a list but its better to have a mix of things imo :good:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back