10 gallon stocking idea

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Let me present you my own (cloudy) betta paradise aquarium (without betta)! I added 2 peice of wood wich looks kind of weird because the texture of the wood is not the same but I think it will look good when the anubias and moss will grow on the bigger wood. I will go back to my LFS this weekend, they were adding new bettas to the aquariums while I was there...
Oooh. Really love the hardscape!

I like that tank...very much! Nice work indeed. That would make a lovely nano fish aquarium.

I really don't know anymore, should I get a betta or boraras with shrimp? I made more research and it's kind of rare that a betta doesn't eat shrimp... What do you prefer and why between the 2 options?

I really don't know anymore, should I get a betta or boraras with shrimp? I made more research and it's kind of rare that a betta doesn't eat shrimp... What do you prefer and why between the 2 options?
I prefer a betta over pretty much any fish.

But then again, it all depends on the temperament of the betta.

I prefer a betta over pretty much any fish.

But then again, it all depends on the temperament of the betta.
Why do you like them so much? That would help me... Do you think a betta would eat amano shrimp?

Boraras would be a better tankmate compared to Betta. Bettas might eat your shrimps as opposed to Boraras. Boraras may eat tiny shrimplets, but with enough plants and hardscapes, you might have a high survival rate within shrimplets.

I'm not a Betta fan simply because I cannot see setting up a tank just for one fish especially when it is so sedate. In more than 30 years of fish keeping I have always had tanks with many fish in them, partly because I enjoy the interactions within species and sometimes cross-species. One example, when I had my solitary male Bolivian Ram in the 5-foot Amazon Riverscape tank with 100+ tetras and hatchetfish and some 50+ cories, I used to see the Bolivian "ruling the tank" as it was clearly his space, all 5-feet of it. One day he had the group of 9 Bleeding Heart Tetras huddled in a tightish group mid-tank, and he was patrolling the water below them. If any one of the Tetras dared to venture out of formation, the Ram just turned and moved a few inches closer, and the tetra jumped back into the shoal. I didn't see what started this, but I assume he had been feeding from the substrate as Rams do and the tetras who are a feisty species may have been too interested in his food tablet. You will never see such interactions with one fish. But this is purely personal preference.

When I saw your last photo, I immediately could see groups of nano fish having a wonderful time in that ideal tropical blackwater-type setting.

Why do you like them so much? That would help me... Do you think a betta would eat amano shrimp?
I like Bettas because they are my favorite fish, and they have loads of personality.

As I said, it all depends on the temperament of the betta.

I'm not a Betta fan simply because I cannot see setting up a tank just for one fish especially when it is so sedate. <...> You will never see such interactions with one fish. But this is purely personal preference.

When I saw your last photo, I immediately could see groups of nano fish having a wonderful time in that ideal tropical blackwater-type setting.
So glad its not just me :)
Living the dream with my new 22G (36x12x12") blackwater tank.
  • hyphessobrycon amandae x20
  • boraras brigittae x20
  • trichopsis pumila x6 (keeping an eye on these and have alternative accommodation if(/when?) they need to be separated.
Will probably round off with a group of corydoras pygmaeus - but not yet. Its rapidly becoming my favourite tank.

I'm not a Betta fan simply because I cannot see setting up a tank just for one fish especially when it is so sedate. In more than 30 years of fish keeping I have always had tanks with many fish in them, partly because I enjoy the interactions within species and sometimes cross-species. One example, when I had my solitary male Bolivian Ram in the 5-foot Amazon Riverscape tank with 100+ tetras and hatchetfish and some 50+ cories, I used to see the Bolivian "ruling the tank" as it was clearly his space, all 5-feet of it. One day he had the group of 9 Bleeding Heart Tetras huddled in a tightish group mid-tank, and he was patrolling the water below them. If any one of the Tetras dared to venture out of formation, the Ram just turned and moved a few inches closer, and the tetra jumped back into the shoal. I didn't see what started this, but I assume he had been feeding from the substrate as Rams do and the tetras who are a feisty species may have been too interested in his food tablet. You will never see such interactions with one fish. But this is purely personal preference.

I think that just opened my eyes about the fact that I also really enjoy how fish interact with each other like in my 55 gallon. I won't get pygmy corydoras because I am honestly not sure about the tank size, I think I would prefer to see them in 15 gallon long for exemple. Shrimps and broraras I think is my best option. :)

So glad its not just me :)
Living the dream with my new 22G (36x12x12") blackwater tank.
  • hyphessobrycon amandae x20
  • boraras brigittae x20
  • trichopsis pumila x6 (keeping an eye on these and have alternative accommodation if(/when?) they need to be separated.
Will probably round off with a group of corydoras pygmaeus - but not yet. Its rapidly becoming my favourite tank.
There must be a lot of action in that tank! I Really like the fish you chose:)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back