10 Gallon Stocking Idea

fatheadminnow

Fish Aficionado
Joined
Jan 14, 2009
Messages
4,815
Reaction score
14
Points
38
Location
US
Well, my 10 gallon will be finishing its fishless cycle here soon, and I am starting to think of what to put in it. The tank is in my dorm at college, and my roommate wants to get an Oscar! :crazy: No No, very bad idea! So, I was thinking of trying to get something some what of the same nature... Cichlids... What do you guys think about blue rams? Would they, and how many, be okay in a 10 gallon tank?

Thanks guys!

-FHM
 
I think with a 10 gall,.... (18" x 10" x 12")..... you can consider about 6 White clouds or about 4 Zebra Danios.
 
Thanks for the response! I believe the tank is 20"x10"x12".

So, no blue rams I take it? lol

-FHM
 
You can also look into different types of shellies if you want cichlids.
 
You can also look into different types of shellies if you want cichlids.
Oh wow, neat (after doing a quick google search, lol).

The only thing is, Walmart is the only place where I can get fish around here, so I hope I they can get me some of these fish you guys are recommending me? Unless I drive to this one FS, which has a HUGE selection of fish! We'll have to see.

Thanks again guys!

-FHM
 
Walmart definitely won't have them.
I do not suggest ever buying fish from walmart, but if it is your only option to stock your 10g, you're better off going with something like tetras or guppies.
 
Walmart definitely won't have them.
I do not suggest ever buying fish from walmart, but if it is your only option to stock your 10g, you're better off going with something like tetras or guppies.
Yeah, walmart is the only option around here. Back at home I have other places to buy fish, but around here I don't.

Really, walmart is not that bad and here is why. Walmart is huge! Period. There are tons of people that come and go everyday at walmart, way more then people coming and going at any large fish shop. With that said, the fish they stock don't normally stay in their display tanks all that long, a couple days max really. So, in reality, you are not getting that bad of a deal. Where as, if you go to a local fish shop, I have seen fish stay in display tanks there for a very long period of time then compared to walmart. So, in reality, you are getting a more "fresh" pick at the fish. Sure, where walmart buys their fish is another big deal, but I hardy believe that the walmart in my town buys from a different company then my LFS does.

What is really key, is trying to find a large fish shop that breeds, grows and sells their own fish right from one place. There is only place like that, but it is a little bit of a drive, but well worth it!

Also, neon tetras are not well off in a freshly cycled tank, so unfortunately they are out of the picture.

-FHM
 

Most reactions

Back
Top