The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ch4rlie

Moderate Moderating Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Thought I would do a thread about my 10 Gallon / 40 litre tank.

I plan to put in Black Bar Endlers, Red Cherry Shrimps and Assassin Snails.

Would like to get this tank done quickly and cheaply as possible 
smile.png

First off is my ClearsSeal tank i bought from eBay for the sum of £12.50, an excellent start!

Here is a pic after cleaning the tank with just tap water and a little salt. Rinsed off really well afterwards off course.

IMG_0853_zpsba3053c9.jpg

Then bought a HOB filter from a car boot sale for a pound! 

Brand new and still had filter media in wrapping etc

Don't like the new filter media at all, it the type that slot in and needs replacing or clogs up quickly.

d2423328-7891-4aed-83a3-c0fb7c58b6ce_zpsba268d64.jpg

So gonna add mature sponge media from my Nano tank, cut to size and add ceramic noodle media as well.

That will help quickly cycle the tank.

IMG_0561_zps619a2504.jpg

Next step is going to set the tank up with filter and heater as well.

Now, added a simple black cardboard sheet had spare, attached as background, does not quite fit but will do nicely.

56f5d6ce-4d8e-4054-890b-30f9dd0ca5c5_zps6a17510f.jpg

Also had some spare black sand/fine gravel substrate leftover from a previous tank, washed and rinsed that really well in bucket before adding. Not quite enough but its fine for now.

IMG_0868_zps0197f1b5.jpg

Added glass thermometer, 100w Fluval heater, the Marina HOB filter, couple small pieces of bogwood, small anubia plant and a moss ball, and an Indian Almond Leave. 

Up and running nicely! 
yes.gif

Added 6 Endlers to the tank, they are amazed at size of tank compared to the 22l Nano tank they were in previously 
laugh.png

IMG_0870_zps5106b949.jpg

If you look on the IAL, you'll see a MTS that sneaked in the tank via one of the bogwood or plant from the other nano tank! 
rolleyes.gif

IMG_0929_zps5567df7b.jpg

Now, also added a cheap clip on LED light i bought online for £11, not the brightest but fine for low tech tank.

Also added in the black shrimp breeding tubes and a piece of Elodea (Egeria Densa) and an extra moss ball from the 90 litre tank.

2762b538-ba9f-4e7e-99fd-f85ff4481926_zps98601419.jpg

c9ab5b81-7b0f-4ec2-875d-1a2ae8ad61f3_zps00b9b439.jpg

RCS and Assassin snails added. 
smile.png

You'll see some white shells on substrate, thats just leftover pest snail shells from being added for the Assassins 
wink.png

I have that filter! Warning! It gets kinda noisy after a while. It vibrates and its hard to stop. I am loving it!

A few days later I decided to add my Anubia Heterophylla from the Nano tank to this 10 gal tank since was not doing good in the Nano since changed it to high tech with Co2 etc.

Covered in algae 
noexpression.gif

Within minutes of adding this plant into the tank, RCS completely all over this 
smile.png

95a2e3bb-3d0a-4902-963d-8fe598901fbb_zpse16264a5.jpg

44126c60-acef-418b-949b-efdb3ca5312d_zps02786295.jpg

A few days later plant looks like this....

f886029f-5828-4179-b585-789a3e160976_zpseac0d1ac.jpg

No algae at all 
smile.png

If that does not convince you that RCS are good for algae on plants, nothing will! 
laugh.png

thefishnoob said:
I have that filter! Warning! It gets kinda noisy after a while. It vibrates and its hard to stop.

I have noticed this too, i put a clean piece of sponge media between the filter and tank, that really helps to stop noise and vibrations.

thefishnoob said:
I am loving it!

Thanks for your kind comment 
smile.png

I love this tank too, its the quickest and cheapest tank i've done to date and simply put, its one i truly like for its simplicity.

Total costs for everything on that tank came to £24.50 and took about a week in all from start to adding fish, shrimps and snails
( mature media sure helps 
wink.png
)

Well that was quick haha, i just made a fun little 10 gallon grow out tank for my bichirs haha, was hoping to get puffers but it can wait.

sawickib said:
Well that was quick haha, i just made a fun little 10 gallon grow out tank for my bichirs haha, was hoping to get puffers but it can wait.

Yes, fast set up and up and running!

I think these 10 gal tanks are great tanks to work with and a lot of different options can be had for them.

Tank has been up and running for a while now, lost one Endler unfortunately, was the smallest Endler and was showing signs that was not long for this world. RIP little guy!

But the remaining Endlers really have vibrant colours and the shrimps and snails are doing good too. 

A very pleasing tank set up indeed and really glad I decided to do this, its really one of the most enjoyable tanks I've done despite no planning or real ideas what to do with it at the start.

1e1feb7d-627c-499b-85f3-09a213865cf9_zpsc8db2514.jpg

Here is the tank as how it is today 
smile.png

I did add a little extra fine gravel from nano tank to this, more for the snails to burrow into as previously it was a little shallow for them to burrow completely into, and also another moss ball for the shrimps.

Hope you enjoyed this little mini journal and shows you that you don't need to have loads of money or huge design ideas or any particular talent for aquascaping to have a enjoyable tank just as it is.

wink.png

Nice! I have a 10gal endler tank as well, but i am using it to breed them with and so far i have about 20 to 30 of them swimming around, but i am at least able to get rid of about 5 to 7 a week by selling them to my LFS.

tmoney7 said:
Nice! I have a 10gal endler tank as well, but i am using it to breed them with and so far i have about 20 to 30 of them swimming around, but i am at least able to get rid of about 5 to 7 a week by selling them to my LFS.

Thats cool, although a lot of Endlers for a 10 gal! 
laugh.png

The Endlers I have in that tank are all males thankfully.

I did not want to breed endlers, hence getting all males. As i know these guys can breed pretty prolifically 
rolleyes.gif

Love this tank! You should take a vid c:

Ninjouzata said:
Love this tank! You should take a vid c:

Thanks Ninj, my vid skills are not the best tbh.

I'll have a go at shooting a vid tomorrow since tank lights have gone off now. But no guarantees 
wink.png

Nice! Unfortunately my shrimp dont eat hair algae and blue green algae.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back