10 Gal Stocking Ideas Needed!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

M!NK

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I need some stocking ideas for my 10 Gallon Aquarium. It currently houses 5 Dwarf Gourami (looking to rehome 1), a poor lonely cherry shrimp, and a mystery snail.

I'm looking to get some schooling or shoaling fish to compliment my Gouries, something a little out of the norm that you don't typically see (like long fin mountain minnows, I LOVE their look but they get a bit too big so I feel they would take away the attention from the Gouries) that gets to only about 1.5" or less :) I would do Boraras brigattae but I'm already getting those for my 5.5 gal and I like a little variety ;) any suggestions?

Also, is there any Neocardinia shrimp that is as hardy as cherry shrimp? I've tried many but had no luck with anything but cherries. Looking to get my 1 shrimp a few buddies!

Most Neocaridinas ARE cherry shrimps, just different colours. Red ones are the hardiest because they are less selectively bred than the other colours (red ones are selectively bred from wild brown shrimps, just not quite as much)
The different colours of Neocaridinas will breed together, usually resulting in wild coloured, brown offspring. For this reason it is better to keep just one colour per tank.

There are not many fish suitable for 10 gallons. Boraras brigittae are one of the species that are suitable - they would be better in 10 gallons than 5 as they need a tank with a footprint 18 x 12 inches (45 x 30 cm) and few 5 gallon tanks are that long.
A 5 gallon tank is not suitable anything except a betta in my opinion.

I concur with essjay.

As for the 10g, with four or five dwarf gourami, all you could manage would be some substrate fish, maybe, but the shrimp might be it as substrate fish could eat them so if you want shrimp go with those.

I concur with both @Byron, and @essjay. The only fish that belongs in a 5 gallon tank is a betta, and there aren’t really that many fish you can put in a 10 gallon, maybe a betta? Or some CPD? :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back