Zebra Plecs (L046s)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

smithrc - the shop where andyj got your bristlenoses has zebras for (i believe) £112 each, he did have a few in but dont know how many are left now...

Z plecos are one of the most striking fish I have seen to date. I have between 2 and 4. I have them in my "Yipes Stripes" pleco tank which is set up for maximum comfort for the fish as opposed to viewing. The tank was stocked with 4 zebras, 2 queen arabs 2 L-134 and 2 L-333. I have never been able to still have.

I know 3 people who are presently spawning zebras- one is up to 50 fry, one is waiting for a 2nd spawn to hatch and the third has about 100 zebras of assorted sizes in breeding or growout tanks and has about a dozen fry. They lay a very small number of eggs- 10-15 at a spawn and maybe 2/3 can expected to be fertile. They are not an easy fish to spawn.

Friends in the business tell me part of the difficulty in obtaining them for a reasonable price is due to the fact that Japanese and German fishkeepers prize them highly and are willing and able to pay up for them. Given the weak dollar, exporters would much rather send them there than here. However, it is still possible to find them in the states for $80-100 each.

Two summers ago I had a line on zebras from an importer. The first shipment came in with all the fish dead and rotting in two large bags. The second shipment came in individually bagged and my friend who took 10 for us (1/2 the total) called me very excited, He said they were some of the largest and nicest he had ever seen. 8 were mine and I sent out a check right away. The next day I was informed that the fish had begun dying after hemmoraging into their bellies. Apparently the exporter's employees had overdosed the "hypno" a drug used in shipping. When all was said and done one fish out of the twenty survived. Talk about misery- the price to me was $40/fish for 4+ inchers.

where about are you TwoTanks? If your in the UK - I'd be eager to get some contact details from you ;)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back