Zebra Plecs (L046s)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I "could" be interested in up to 6 depending on price and whether i can bare to part with some fish i already have (no space for any more tanks). Breeding zebras is something ive been thinking about for a while since they are about to be taken off importers lists and face extinction in the wild due to habbitat loss (the government there plan to build a hydroelectric dam in their spawning grounds). With the prices of zebras set to rocket again in the near future (some are talking of prices like £180 per fish) the more captive bred fish available the lower this price can be, also it makes a nice bit of cash in my pocket :lol:

Go for it CFC, I have often thought about breeding, and without a selfish attitude towards it we can help keep this wonderful fish in the aquarium trade.

Ben

Thats the reason we want them too... there will be about 19 up for grabs out of the 25 ;)

just wondering if there's any upates on this?

also i told my mate at work about this and he would say to expect to find around 4 deads in that many.

Hello, i just this minute registered so i could say i would be very interested in 3 possibly 4, i'm the same as everyone else, it depends on price.
also how would they be distributed? i'm up north and ur down south and i dont have any transport :dunno:

cheers anyway, Tom

thanks for the bump - I spoke to the guy last weekend and the brazil list should be with him today / tomorrow.

I'll see him over the weekend and see if there were any on it.

Been reading over at another (all pleco) forum that the Brazillian Government have just banned all capture and export of wild caught L046... so expect that price to rise as the only fish available are captive bred.

SirMinion said:
Been reading over at another (all pleco) forum that the Brazillian Government have just banned all capture and export of wild caught L046... so expect that price to rise as the only fish available are captive bred.
Ohhh, good news for me then if I can get mine to breed!! :D :sly: :sly:

Apparently that is a roumor just to raise prices...

They are now on the CITES list and thier export has been clamped down on - but that wont really effect legitimate exporters..

apparently anyway. ("they" told me :huh: )

The Brazilian goverment are a little strange when it comes to bans. Like the ban in Altimera on the exporting of the rays.

I too have heard of the proposed dam 2 summers ago when I was over there to see the guys fishing for the Zebras and Gold nuggets. I am unsure as to whether construction and habitat loss has begun. As for them nearing extinction, I find this hard to believe. If you read my diary from my trip you will understand why. This has been published on the following web site: http://www.amazon-holidays.com/ It is under Travellers Tales 1. Look under Thursday 15th May 2003 to get some idea of their habitat.

When you understand where they come from then tell me they are becoming extinct. I cannot see how anyone knows for sure.

I also have pictures and video footage to prove exactly what I say is true.

I would be interested in 3, the price quoted on tri-mar was £330 ( £110 ea ) so if your price is good let me know.

It's not looking too good at the moment...

He had the main list from brasil - with no luck
He even got a few list from some eupopean inporters just to see if he could source some... and he found some... in germany... that he would have had to sell for £180! :eek:

I'll give it another few weeks and then nock the idea on the head i think.

Most reactions

trending

Back