Why We Should Not Fishless Cycle Planted Tanks.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

well purigen cant remove everything, quickly, it will become exhausted quicker too. I just did a water change whenever i had the chance, there was a minimum of 3 per week though.

Soak it in bleach for 24hrs, this burns off the nitrogenous waste, then soak in dechlorinator for 8hrs to neautralise the bleach, then in a buffer for 4hrs to lower the pH back to 7
I dont use a buffer though as i dont think it is enough to drastically change the pH of the aquariums water when using such a small amount, some do it to be on the safe side.

Use vinegar as a cheaper alternative, (white if possible as it doesnt smell)

Ok thanks aaron, i may do one daily, depends what shifts im working. Also, what dyou think about the brown algae?

Yeah, probably the crypt then, no idea why it randomly melted. It didnt even melt when i first planted it about a month ago...

plants dont consume nitrite because it is extremely unstable.because even if nitrite and nitrite both are radicals, the valency(charge) on nitrite is considerably high(wrt atomic no.).sorry for the really complicated answer but could'nt help it:XD:
shahrez

plants dont consume nitrite because it is extremely unstable.because even if nitrite and nitrite both are radicals, the valency(charge) on nitrite is considerably high(wrt atomic no.).sorry for the really complicated answer but could'nt help it:XD:
shahrez

I can assure you that plants can use nitrite as a method of utilizing their nitrogen source.

shahrez

I can assure you that plants can use nitrite as a method of utilizing their nitrogen source.

i agree.
The reason you dont see NO2 mentioned alot is because it is hardly ever available in enough quantities for plants to utilise. NH4 is utilised first, meaning less NO2, and because there isnt enough NO3 produced at the end of the cycle we have to add it artificially.

whats wrt?

Great report Dave, you should post it up to ukaps as its a good read.

Re the Zeolite, where do you buy yours as Ive not come accross this stuff before. Should be getting my 90cm this week or next so wouldnt mind trying it on that when I get it set up.

can someone please summarise that 1st post? It's way over my head.

I'm new to the hobby and I'm about to setup my 1st planted tank. I was thinking of doing a fishless cycle because I read that's got for the fish.

Thank you very much.

I go even further than the 2 above and start mine up as I mean to go on. Heavily planted, CO2 at 30ish ppm full ferts, full lights, once a week water change. And as soon as the water is up to temp (within a few hours) the fish, shrimp and snails go straight in. Not a problem. This is with no fast growing stems, just rosettes, rhizomes etc.

I can vouch that this method works, although I had to do research cause I didn't believe it, when I did the research on a cycle of a plant and combining it with Amo, Nitrite and Nitrate I finally understood how it all folded together, my planted tank I took my discuss and through them in right away, although they had to go in quartine for the night cause my filter system crashed ~ thinking because it was setup at night, next day discus went in and no problems since, cept for the discus eating my tetris for a late night snack!

I had the same thing happen to me I planted the tank with fast growers lots of stems, put my fish in and put discus straight in, I ran into a problem about an hour after I think if I remember right my filter crashed ended up with not alot of ammo but enough where I had to quartine the discus for a few days and then just put them right in, now they have gone from 3" to a huge 10" in size. But when I quartined the discus I just left the tetras and corys in the tank, and when I baught all this at the fish store they said did you cycle your tank and I said of course I did who would be the fool not to lol, you think they would have sold me all the fish at once? I had an issue on getting the discus out the door because they said the filter would crash and I said I bet it won't lol and guess what it did haha, mainly from us feeding alot I mean beefheart in the beggining hurt the filtration system other than that when setting up a planted tank I just set the tank up and put fish right in when up to temp. Always go planted now because I don't need to worry about cycling the tank

This pin has been incorporated into PARC. You can still make comments on this thread. The pin section was getting congested and I moved all the relevent articles into one spot for ease. Thank you.

llj

I'm thinking of adding a few realplants to my tank, am setting up another, and was thinking about planting that one a bit more heavily, the nature of not cycling the same as a non planted tank intrigues me.

is there an article anywhere focusing more on the no-cycle aspects of planted tanks?

(btw, it'll be a low tech,relatively low light, but I will upgrade lights n stuff, just not going to throw all the current fittings on the tank just for better bulbs, too much work)

I'm thinking of adding a few realplants to my tank, am setting up another, and was thinking about planting that one a bit more heavily, the nature of not cycling the same as a non planted tank intrigues me.

is there an article anywhere focusing more on the no-cycle aspects of planted tanks?

(btw, it'll be a low tech,relatively low light, but I will upgrade lights n stuff, just not going to throw all the current fittings on the tank just for better bulbs, too much work)

Did you ever get it started? I've been successful with mine and on 6 weeks. If you want to go planted then maybe you should give this place a try since they don't appear hostile if you go fish-in.

Most reactions

Back