What Tank To Buy

I put it in the actual filter. Just to make sure any sand particles got trapped before getting to the mechanical parts.

I put it in the actual filter. Just to make sure any sand particles got trapped before getting to the mechanical parts.

I'll probably half fill the tank today, get some filter floss tomorrow, put that in the filter and then turn that on tomorrow. :hyper:

It's fine to plant even when all the waters in right? I have a few LFS and the one i was at today didn't have a proper selection of plants. Do you use long gloves or not bother?

I've put a bag of sand in (15kg) and it seems already to be even over 1 and a half inches :look: The calculator said I would need ~25kg!

I only need 1-1.5 inches of substrate :huh:

edit: I flattened it because I imagine the weight of the water will. Maybe the sands absorbed water? Or shall i take a bit out

Yes you can plant up a full tank. I do 'technically' whenever I'm moving stuff around. I don't bother with gloves but I recently bought some planting tweaser type things cause I'm short and the tank is quite tall :( lol.

My tank is around 1" to 1.5" on a gentle slope towards the back. Or rather was...it's slowly flattened itself out.

Yes you can plant up a full tank. I do 'technically' whenever I'm moving stuff around. I don't bother with gloves but I recently bought some planting tweaser type things cause I'm short and the tank is quite tall :( lol.

My tank is around 1" to 1.5" on a gentle slope towards the back. Or rather was...it's slowly flattened itself out.

lol :D Mines quite a good height for me!

I guess I don't need the other bag of sand! I bet i'll put the water in and measure it and it'll be less than 1 :rolleyes:

edit:

It says on the 'getting started' part 5cm is needed for plants. which is 2 inches. conflicting information people :crazy:

2nd edit:

whats a venturi valve? Shall I bother with it?

How long do you leave the conditioner in the water for until you put it into the tank? Not that it matters really now I imagine as I have no fish

How long do you leave the conditioner in the water for until you put it into the tank? Not that it matters really now I imagine as I have no fish

When first filling a tank just put the water straight in and then add the right amount of conditioner
When doing water changes put the conditioner into the bucket first, and wait for a couple of minutes at most, giving it a good stir. You'll probably be waiting for water temp to get good before putting it into your tank anyway...

btw, a venturi valve will stick out of the water and allow air to be sucked into the water flow being pumped out, adding bubbles as it happens. And stick with the max 1.5" rule...it's a good rule! and will provide enough depth for planting.

I place the conditioner into the bucket while I am filling it. Then I walk over with the full bucket and use my gravel cleaner to siphon the water into the tank. The conditioner gets maybe a 30 second head start before the water is going into the tank.

thanks guys :)

When first filling a tank just put the water straight in and then add the right amount of conditioner
When doing water changes put the conditioner into the bucket first, and wait for a couple of minutes at most, giving it a good stir. You'll probably be waiting for water temp to get good before putting it into your tank anyway...

btw, a venturi valve will stick out of the water and allow air to be sucked into the water flow being pumped out, adding bubbles as it happens. And stick with the max 1.5" rule...it's a good rule! and will provide enough depth for planting.

Is it worth using the valve, I read its not necessary and can be more noisey/agitating for people and fish?

Personally I hate venturi because they're everything you just said.
Water agitation at the surface is all you need. :) Also water agitation is practically silent :good: :lol:

ok :D

One question :unsure:

If I'm dosing for the whole tank,

if... 10ML of conditioner is for 38L of water

then its 33ML of conditioner for 125L tank yes?

:) Excellent

32.894736842105263157894736842105 to be exact so 33 will do

Thank you everyone!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back