What Tank To Buy

Yep, I've really missed my tank this year. I was doing all the work and never getting to look at it.

So I'm re-homing the rummy noses and rams this weekend and switching the kuhlis, gourami and snail over to the new 60l.

They're gonna keep it ticking over until June and then they will be re-homed as and when I buy shrimp. :)

Oh and the new tank is coming with some fish. The seller didn't know what they were :rolleyes: . But I think I spied a tiger barb in the picture :crazy: Hope it'll behave until I can find it a new home.

Anyways once it's all done it means I can move it to Uni with me when we move into the new house in September. The 125 would've just been too much of a pain to transfer.

Your getting it today :hyper:

Good luck with everything, both of you :)

One question though...

You know you get those covers for the back of aquariums... with all the underwater natural plants/rocks/waterscape etc, do those go on the inside or the outside? I want to get one because my tank will be infront of some quite psychedelic wallpaper and won't look very natural inside :p I should've got one yesterday but I forgot, I'm not sure if my LFS is open today so it's probably not worth setting up the tank because I will struggle to move it to put the background on?

If you want a background then definitely don't set the tank up unless you have open access to the back of it! And the backgrounds go on the outside.

If you want a background then definitely don't set the tank up unless you have open access to the back of it! And the backgrounds go on the outside.

Thanks :) Any recommendations on what to get, or what I should look for?

Are you planning on planting it up much?

Maybe a little more than yours...

I've got one, it was only a few quid and it doesn't even stick on it just tapes on so I can take it off whenever.

Ok aqaurium is standing.

I've got to:

Clean the tank with tap water (nothing added?)
clean the sand and put it in
put the bulbs together
set the filter up
put water it and condition it

I think thats all for today if I can even do it today

If it's heavily planted then the background doesn't matter too much. If anything you want something relatively plain so that it doesn't attract too much attention away from the plants.

And yes that sounds like a good plan.
I'm just sat in waiting for people to come and collect fish so I can get on with my tank *humph*. I'm really dubious about putting the tiger barb in with the rest of my fish in a 60l so need to wait until I find someone who can take it. Or go up to the top shed to get my other tank down *sigh*.
And it's boring waiting... I can't start doing any fun job/stuff incase I have to put it down to go net + bag fish. New tank is ready and waiting though, I gave it a good clean up.

If it's heavily planted then the background doesn't matter too much. If anything you want something relatively plain so that it doesn't attract too much attention away from the plants.

And yes that sounds like a good plan.
I'm just sat in waiting for people to come and collect fish so I can get on with my tank *humph*. I'm really dubious about putting the tiger barb in with the rest of my fish in a 60l so need to wait until I find someone who can take it. Or go up to the top shed to get my other tank down *sigh*.
And it's boring waiting... I can't start doing any fun job/stuff incase I have to put it down to go net + bag fish. New tank is ready and waiting though, I gave it a good clean up.

ok :)

I saw a shark egg today, wth :crazy: you could see into it as well, it looked like there was a fish inside of it but i think it probably was its heart! Really unusual.

Yeah the tiger barb sound a bit awkward to deal with, atleast you've got your tank now though :nod:

I've got the job of washing sand now which is going to be a long process of going back and forth, from outside to my room :sad:

You have my sympathy, specially if the weather with you is anything like where I am. Very chilly. It was snowing yesterday!

You have my sympathy, specially if the weather with you is anything like where I am. Very chilly. It was snowing yesterday!

It was here too :(

Its actually quite warm now though, the suns come out just at the end of the afternoon :)

With the sand washing, do you keep washing it until the water is completely clear or is that impossible because the sand swirls around making it appear dirty

I don't want to make mistakes and I can tell I'm already on the way to being as bad as kaivalagi OCD wise haha

I washed until you could leave it for a few secs and the water on top looked clear. The tank will almost definitely end up cloudy eitherways but so long as you have plenty of filter pads and are careful when you fill with water then you should be fine.
The only issue you could possibly have is the filter getting worn down by sand if it gets to the motor area bit.

I washed until you could leave it for a few secs and the water on top looked clear. The tank will almost definitely end up cloudy eitherways but so long as you have plenty of filter pads and are careful when you fill with water then you should be fine.
The only issue you could possibly have is the filter getting worn down by sand if it gets to the motor area bit.

Did yours ever fail on you?

There are enough filter pads with the filter right :unsure:

Mine was fine but I put some filter floss in it to be on the safe side. If you really clean the sand well and fill the tank carefully I really can't see you having a problem. Worst comes to worst let the tank settle after filling and turn the pump on tomorrow.

You can never wash the sand enough IMO as you will know :) Make sure you stir it up good and proper and yes keep rinsing until the water is fully clear (and in my case repeat 2 times more per load)...

You know me :) I have the cleanest sand in the land
laugh.gif

Make sure the intake for the filter is well above the sands surface too

curiosity -
Filter floss, I shall look out for that. Does it just cover the intake? I want to be careful and a bit of filter floss will be better than buying a new pump so i'll definately get some

kaivalagi -
I may have washed it more than 2 times already :p I've washed it in some boiling water too.

1 bag down 1 to go! I will be sure to put the intake well above it, thank you

Most reactions

Back