What Tank To Buy

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
One thought, and I am not sure whether it makes any difference, but you are running your filter on a setting that doesn't really agitate the water surface right? Maybe you need the agitation for a better fish-less cycle? C101?

One thought, and I am not sure whether it makes any difference, but you are running your filter on a setting that doesn't really agitate the water surface right? Maybe you need the agitation for a better fish-less cycle? C101?

I thought that myself, I was waiting for one of you to pick up on it :p

I'm going to start cycling tuesday, I also need to talk to my brother about some media exchange

I'm going to start cycling tuesday, I also need to talk to my brother about some media exchange

Yeah I'll be using some mature media to kick start the whole fish-less cycle...and the tank won't really need to support much load as it will be about 5 dwarf cichlids and a couple of clean up crew (probably 3 x otos from my current tank if I can catch the blighters!)

Yeah I'll be using some mature media to kick start the whole fish-less cycle...and the tank won't really need to support much load as it will be about 5 dwarf cichlids and a couple of clean up crew (probably 3 x otos from my current tank if I can catch the blighters!)

I'm really tempted by some dwarf cichlids, I already want a bigger tank so i can keep discus fish too!

There is so much choice..

You don't need super oxygenated water for the bacteria no. But if you have it set to a level where it will be for fish then at least you have more time to get used to the noise! Lol. I personally quite like the quiet trickling.

Oh btw guess what I found in my garden. A load of lumps of frog spawn! lol. We used to have a pond in that section but it is now a flower bed, that didn't stop them though.
I've gathered it up in a bucket and will be waiting for around 20 tadpoles to hatch, then I'm going to grow them into little froglets till the end of easter...don't know exactly how long it'll take but with room temperatures it shouldn't be long.

You don't need super oxygenated water for the bacteria no. But if you have it set to a level where it will be for fish then at least you have more time to get used to the noise! Lol. I personally quite like the quiet trickling.

Oh btw guess what I found in my garden. A load of lumps of frog spawn! lol. We used to have a pond in that section but it is now a flower bed, that didn't stop them though.
I've gathered it up in a bucket and will be waiting for around 20 tadpoles to hatch, then I'm going to grow them into little froglets till the end of easter...don't know exactly how long it'll take but with room temperatures it shouldn't be long.

I guess you have no idea what type of frog yet? Have you seen the parents up close?

what setting do you have for your filter c101?

We have frogspawn in our pond outside too, but we've left them in there. There is coi and goldfish in the pond, they don't normally eat the eggs though!

No I don't know what the parents are. I heard croaking the past night or two but haven't seen any frogs. Just a few lumps of frog spawn.
I thought about leaving the frogspawn their to just dry out. But there is a huge #40##(<-- lol that's meant to say d.a.m. as in the thing beavers and people build to hold back water) 5mins from my house where there are already frogs.

My filter isn't a U series PDSimon, it's a + series. So it's different. Sorry!

On the basis that agitation of the water won't affect the fish-less cycle I'd just have a play with the 3 options, see what's best for you and use that. When I was running the stock filter on my Roma I used the setting where output was from the top with the venturi valve just ever so slightly opened...a setting just before lots of noise occurred

ok C101 :)

On the basis that agitation of the water won't affect the fish-less cycle I'd just have a play with the 3 options, see what's best for you and use that. When I was running the stock filter on my Roma I used the setting where output was from the top with the venturi valve just ever so slightly opened...a setting just before lots of noise occurred

I put it on the setting that sprays across the length of the filter, apparently its best if you have plants, and so if i'm going to have plants i thought i'd just leave it on that one. I guess it doesn't really matter that much what I choose whether theres i'm cycling or not, they all do the same thing, just that the nozzles might be a bit to harsh on the plants

I put it on the setting that sprays across the length of the filter, apparently its best if you have plants, and so if i'm going to have plants i thought i'd just leave it on that one. I guess it doesn't really matter that much what I choose whether theres i'm cycling or not, they all do the same thing, just that the nozzles might be a bit to harsh on the plants

Any setting is fine with plants IMHO, plants live in a variety of natural conditions from still water to tidal currents of lakes and rivers...do what you think is right for the tank as a whole...your call but water agitation is good as it increases the oxygen levels in the tank which is good for the fish (not by as much as a weekly water change I wouldn't have thought but still it's something positive for your mini environment). I guess it would also depend on how much water noise you can take in your ear when lying in bed :)

Kaivalagi what do you mean by...

...do what you think is right for the tank as a whole...your call but water agitation is good as it increases the oxygen levels in the tank which is good for the fish (not by as much as a weekly water change I wouldn't have thought but still it's something positive for your mini environment).

?? If you mean that you think a water change introduces a large amount of oxygen into the tank then this isn't true. The water agitation just keeps the balance of dissolved oxygen up. If you made the water super agitated then it wouldn't just keep climbing in oxygen content, it would climb until it reached an equilibrium with the surrounding air.

There is a chance it wouldn't even increase the O2 contents at all (making the survace SUPER agitated), if the agitation was sufficient to allow the equilibrium to occur already.

Any setting is fine with plants IMHO, plants live in a variety of natural conditions from still water to tidal currents of lakes and rivers...do what you think is right for the tank as a whole...your call but water agitation is good as it increases the oxygen levels in the tank which is good for the fish (not by as much as a weekly water change I wouldn't have thought but still it's something positive for your mini environment). I guess it would also depend on how much water noise you can take in your ear when lying in bed :)

I'll test around with it later, I quite like the noise of water its just when it sounds fake is when its annoying. The filter is surprisingly quiet. The tank is also right across from my bed so I will be able to watch my fish sleep when trying to sleep which should be nice!

Is it best aiming the nozzle towards the waters surface so it agigtates the surface then?

Is it best aiming the nozzle towards the waters surface so it agigtates the surface then?

Position your filter so that the nozzle is under the water (obviously :)) but not too much that the venturi valve is under fully, play with it a bit to get what you want as far as noise, bubbles and surface water disturbance

Position your filter so that the nozzle is under the water (obviously :)) but not too much that the venturi valve is under fully, play with it a bit to get what you want as far as noise, bubbles and surface water disturbance

I meant does it improve quality if the water surface is disturbed more it does it not matter?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back