What Camera Do You Use?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

KrazyKuhli

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Just wondering what cameras you all use to take tank shots.

Seen a couple of them and they look like the tank is in my screen (minnnt)

I have a Sony A380 Dslr with an 18-55mm and 75-300 mm lens.

Any particular setting i need to use to make them look realistic and not so yellow/orangey.

:good:

Nikon D90, usually with a 24-70 2.8 attached.

Some examples below.

Aquarium photography is difficult, do you use flash?

Avoid it is my advice, try a shutter speed around 1/80th, you will have to crank the iso up, not sure how your Sony will handle that but try it.

What aperture are your 2 lenses?

Bad colour cast can either be changed by adjusting white balance in the camera or adjusting the shot afterwards in whatever post processing software you use.

6065861422_6985dc72ed.jpg

6065860812_6a906859bc.jpg

6065312605_73ff067169.jpg

rioucayal.jpg

Wow they're nice photos :hyper:

My 18-45mm is 3.5-5.6 and my 75-300mm is 4.5-5.6...

TBH its not that good without the flash and I've kinda worked out what angle I need to be at to hide the flare.I might have a go at changing the iso and going to 1/80.

I used to use photoshop but had to do a restore and it was a dodgy copy :shifty:

I sometimes use the program that came with the camera (can use RAW format) but I got editing software yesterday and that did my Sig...

Will post some shots up later. :good:

Some examples below.

Avoid it is my advice, try a shutter speed around 1/80th, you will have to crank the iso up, not sure how your Sony will handle that but try it.

Bad colour cast can either be changed by adjusting white balance in the camera or adjusting the shot afterwards in whatever post processing software you use.

rioucayal.jpg

Is that the Nikon 24 to 70 mike?

Wow they're nice photos :hyper:

My 18-45mm is 3.5-5.6 and my 75-300mm is 4.5-5.6...

TBH its not that good without the flash and I've kinda worked out what angle I need to be at to hide the flare.I might have a go at changing the iso and going to 1/80.

I used to use photoshop but had to do a restore and it was a dodgy copy :shifty:

I sometimes use the program that came with the camera (can use RAW format) but I got editing software yesterday and that did my Sig...

Will post some shots up later. :good:

Those shots are easily achievable with an SLR.

Try and get results without the flash, really, unless you are using off body flash i think it is worth sticking with. The only issue you may face is high iso shots, nikon owns at this, I don't know how capable your Sony is, use the smaller lens, wide open and just fire away. That is the beauty of digital.

Some examples below.

rioucayal.jpg

Is that the Nikon 24 to 70 mike?

No, Sigma, would love the Nikon version but can't justify the price.

The Sigma is already a better lens than I am photographer, I am picking up a 10-20 next week as well, again a Sigma.

How do you find using the A380?

I tried not using the flash but they are either blurred or out of focus (I use manual for tank shots)

for tank shots, don't use the flash. Use the light from the tank. Set the EV drown as well, alot of people over expose when it comes to tank shots. I have my EV set at around 0.7 and my ISO at 800, using it in aperture mode.

How do you find using the A380?

I tried not using the flash but they are either blurred or out of focus (I use manual for tank shots)

What settings (Aperture, shutter and iso) were you using?

Fairly certain the Sony will not deal with low light situations as well as my Nikon but you should be able to get something out of it.

you'll find that the Sony a380 is at the same entry level as the Nikon D90, so you'll be able to get out of it as much as the Nikon. At the end of the day, you need to get shot of the poor kit lens and have a look at some other models. Another thing that people miss is a decent memory card. SDHC @level 8 will give you better shots as well.

you'll find that the Sony a380 is at the same entry level as the Nikon D90, so you'll be able to get out of it as much as the Nikon. At the end of the day, you need to get shot of the poor kit lens and have a look at some other models. Another thing that people miss is a decent memory card. SDHC @level 8 will give you better shots as well.

Other than increased buffering for high fps shots, how would the memory card help (I already use class 10 btw)? Do you shoot RAW or jpg?

Can you use shots at iso 3200 from the Sony? That is where the D90 amazes me.

If you mean the D90 is entry level, I disagree, that is the Dxxxx range.

The examples I posted btw where taken with my kit lens (18-105) rather than the 24-70, they were all from before I got the 24-70.

Other than increased buffering for high fps shots, how would the memory card help (I already use class 10 btw)? Do you shoot RAW or jpg?

it really does alter an image if you put a cheap and nasty without hc. I also use a class 10 and you can't beat them. I shoot in both, if i'm in a rush then JPEG, but if i'm shooting for comps or whatever, always RAW, as there's so much you can do with it.

yes, you can, but there is a lot of noise at that ISO.

sorry i mean't to say that they are at the same level, the cams are almost the same spec. Theres a lot of reviews and Vs on the web about both cams, and the Nikon pips it due to the standard kit lens. This is where Sony fall down as the kit lens isn't that good. I would advise the Op to get rid of that and opt for a Sigma 24-70, tis a much better lens and you can pic em up really cheap. I got mine for £25 off ebay.

it really does alter an image if you put a cheap and nasty without hc. I also use a class 10 and you can't beat them. I shoot in both, if i'm in a rush then JPEG, but if i'm shooting for comps or whatever, always RAW, as there's so much you can do with it.

yes, you can, but there is a lot of noise at that ISO.

sorry i mean't to say that they are at the same level, the cams are almost the same spec. Theres a lot of reviews and Vs on the web about both cams, and the Nikon pips it due to the standard kit lens. This is where Sony fall down as the kit lens isn't that good. I would advise the Op to get rid of that and opt for a Sigma 24-70, tis a much better lens and you can pic em up really cheap. I got mine for £25 off ebay.

25 notes? That's a steal, my 24-70 is Sigma as well, bought if from a mate hardly used for 300 quid and that was cheap (they are $900 new). Edit - for clarity it is this lens as use as my walkaround these days although the 18-105 that came with the body is a great starting point

http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-24-70mm-2-8-Standard-Nikon/dp/B001NEK2QO

3200 is usable from mine, that will have a huge effect on whether these shots are working for the OP, I am yet to try Noise Ninja but it comes highly recommended.

Agree that a glass upgrade will help, that's where I can't offer much advice as no idea what is available in Sony mount.

LOL!! My pics? Which ones in particular? I personally think that mine are rubbish compared with some of the ones posted on this forum.

Mine is a case of take 500 pics and pick out the 3 that are probably of any use. :lol:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back