Tank Is Very Scratched - Any Advice Please?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Metermaid

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My poor Jewel 180 is really very scratched now, I have just changed over from gravel to sand and things seem worse! I use one of the magnetic algae scrappers which must be getting sand between the glass and the magnet although I always check.

What do others use ? And are there any remedies for the scratches I already have?

Thanks

MM

You can buffer out light scratches using cerium oxide (fine powder usually used by jewellers for buffing gems) and a buffer pad on a drill. This is extremely hard work and will take several hours / attempts to achieve.

Have a search on google and you will find a few reviews on this, I have done this on my trigon with some success. If this fails I found that by using reflector on my lights and angling the reflector so minimal amounts of light refract on the front glass then most scratches arent too visible.

Good luck

Bricko

My poor Jewel 180 is really very scratched now, I have just changed over from gravel to sand and things seem worse! I use one of the magnetic algae scrappers which must be getting sand between the glass and the magnet although I always check.

What do others use ? And are there any remedies for the scratches I already have?

Thanks

MM
same thing happened to me mate i just turned my tank round

Thanks

MM
same thing happened to me mate i just turned my tank round

I forgot to mention it's a Vision - bow fronted!

Thanks Bricko - i found your thread, very interesting - looks like mega hard work!

I'd say the horse has bolted.... a valuable lesson to everyone here - magnetic glass cleaners are the work of the devil !!!! Ive sworn at these things a few times :-(

you could buy my only slightly scratched by the magnetic thingy Jewel Vision 180 off me....its going under the hammer v.soon

Strange, ive used mag floats for a looong time, no problems, though granted I dont use it to dig in the substrate ;)

Strange, ive used mag floats for a looong time, no problems, though granted I dont use it to dig in the substrate ;)

Nope me neither! It's only really since we changed to the sand, the airstone seems to throw up a constant 'rain' of the stuff which I think finds it's way between the mag cleaner and the glass :(

Any suggestions on the best alternative method - I think I've seen blades mounted on a handle - any good ?

Thanks Peter - will bear that in mind!

move your airstone up a bit so you don't have a constant rain of sand.

i just use washing up sondes to clean the tank.

I just use a sponge to clean the front of my tank, if you do it regularly enough you will not get any build up and what ever algea is on the glass will come off easy.

I have cleaned my tank differently in the past and i did seem to scratch very easy, my tank is also a juwel....

I just use an old blockbuster video card. I've got one of those plastic blade on a stick things and it works, but takes me 1/3 the time just to get my hands wet and use any plastic credit card sized card.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back