The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Chemistry, which isn't to bad. Ugh college, thats kinda cringe. I'll makes sure to keep you posted hehe
Chemistry? That’s good. You can explain all the chemistry stuff on here once you’ve qualified. @essjay has a chemistry degree iirc. She can do your school work while you mess around with your tank. Then once you leave college you take over her position as unofficial site chemist and she can put her feet up a bit more while tagging you in on all the water and medicine chemistry questions.
Everyones a winner.

Chemistry? That’s good. You can explain all the chemistry stuff on here once you’ve qualified. @essjay has a chemistry degree iirc. She can do your school work while you mess around with your tank. Then once you leave college you take over her position as unofficial site chemist and she can put her feet up a bit more while tagging you in on all the water and medicine chemistry questions.
Everyones a winner.
Essjay, please, I beg you, explain why ammonium nitrate blows up. All I have is that it combusts when stored irresponsibly. Please help me!

Everyones a winner.
I'm fine with that, chemistry is fun :)

Ammonium nitrate decomposes differently at different temperatures, and the presence of contaminants also affect it.

At lower temperatures 200 to 230 deg C), it decomposes to nitrogen oxide, nitrogen and water. If the temperature rises over 230 deg C, it decomposes to nitrogen, nitrogen dioxide (the brown gas) and water. Other pathways have been suggested to account for the detonation phase and the explosion phase - detonation phase being the production of nitrogen, oxygen and water, while the explosion phase is suggested as being the production of nitrogen, nitrogen oxide (NO), nitrogen dioxide (NO2) and water.
All these reactions generate heat. If there is an organic contaminant present - paper sacks, cardboard or wood boxes, lorry fuel spillages etc - the heat generated causes them to catch fire and and add to the heat.
When gases are formed in huge amounts in a confined space, pressure builds up until finally something has to give and an explosion occurs.

Edit - forgot to add that NO2 is a brown gas, which was seen at the Beirut explosion.

Ammonium nitrate decomposes differently at different temperatures, and the presence of contaminants also affect it.

At lower temperatures 200 to 230 deg C), it decomposes to nitrogen oxide, nitrogen and water. If the temperature rises over 230 deg C, it decomposes to nitrogen, nitrogen dioxide (the brown gas) and water. Other pathways have been suggested to account for the detonation phase and the explosion phase - detonation phase being the production of nitrogen, oxygen and water, while the explosion phase is suggested as being the production of nitrogen, nitrogen oxide (NO), nitrogen dioxide (NO2) and water.
All these reactions generate heat. If there is an organic contaminant present - paper sacks, cardboard or wood boxes, lorry fuel spillages etc - the heat generated causes them to catch fire and and add to the heat.
When gases are formed in huge amounts in a confined space, pressure builds up until finally something has to give and an explosion occurs.

Edit - forgot to add that NO2 is a brown gas, which was seen at the Beirut explosion.
Thanks! I had to explain what parallels there were between the Beirut explosion and the Texas City explosion. Makes way more sense now, thanks!

Update! The corydoras are still alive and well. They have all easily grown half an inch and are looking nice and chonky. They are way more active now that the tank is a little shaded with the duckweed. I'll be finishing their shoal today! Thanks for all the help!

Im bad at fish pictures lol

Attachments

• 3F9BECF1-2A95-480C-A515-36566E1FB226.jpeg
    3F9BECF1-2A95-480C-A515-36566E1FB226.jpeg
    345 KB · Views: 63
  • 5253C72B-AF4F-43DC-87FD-B019A77AF604.jpeg
    5253C72B-AF4F-43DC-87FD-B019A77AF604.jpeg
    318.3 KB · Views: 58
  • 95B5CA9B-F85E-4DA0-B05F-3F2D7E74CFF0.jpeg
    95B5CA9B-F85E-4DA0-B05F-3F2D7E74CFF0.jpeg
    273.3 KB · Views: 59
That first pic is fantastic!
Except for my dying hairgrass :rofl: . I could only get pics of 2. Both of the ones in the photos are males I think. The other two are kinda shy but are the bigger ones, pretty sure they are females.

Im bad at fish pictures lol
Everyone is bad at fish pictures, photographing fish is hard. But these are great! The key is to take an absolute ton of pictures, spend ages deleting all the rubbish ones, then upload the 3-4 out of the hundred you took that actually look pretty good ;)

Since you've got your camera out though, we're on page 14 of this thread. Isn't it time you shared a full tank photo? :DHave no idea what your tank looks like, and I wanna see! :p

Everyone is bad at fish pictures, photographing fish is hard. But these are great! The key is to take an absolute ton of pictures, spend ages deleting all the rubbish ones, then upload the 3-4 out of the hundred you took that actually look pretty good ;)

Since you've got your camera out though, we're on page 14 of this thread. Isn't it time you shared a full tank photo? :DHave no idea what your tank looks like, and I wanna see! :p
I'll show a full pick soon, but its not even close to done. Theres a ton of empty space and missing plants. I'm also technically in school so maybe later :rofl:

I'll show a full pick soon, but its not even close to done. Theres a ton of empty space and missing plants. I'm also technically in school so maybe later :rofl:
Tanks are never "done", they're constantly evolving, changing and growing! See how they change and mature is half the fun. But okay, schoolwork first.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back