Recommendations For A 10 Gallon

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

what about the platy howcome they werent mentioned, thats like #1 combo

Here are some pics of my sparkling gourami's when I first got them, which might help people because the research I did showed that they are a little drab looking until they are happily established in a good tank.
sparklinggourami9.jpg

sparklinggouramigroup.jpg

And although not the best pic, some of the coloring is starting to come out
sparklinggourami6.jpg

And 1 of the sparkling peeking out
honey5.jpg

My male (I think) honey gourami
honeygourami.jpg

honey5.jpg

The (what I think) male regularly gets the dark coloring underneath...whereas the other one is just as colorful but doesn't get the dark coloring underneath.

Here are some pics of my sparkling gourami's when I first got them, which might help people because the research I did showed that they are a little drab looking until they are happily established in a good tank.
sparklinggourami9.jpg

sparklinggouramigroup.jpg

And although not the best pic, some of the coloring is starting to come out
sparklinggourami6.jpg

And 1 of the sparkling peeking out
sparklinggourami.jpg

My male (I think) honey gourami
honeygourami.jpg

honey5.jpg

The (what I think) male regularly gets the dark coloring underneath...whereas the other one is just as colorful but doesn't get the dark coloring underneath.

The reason I didn't include any of the 'common' species is because, actualy, they aern't realy suitable - things like neons, for example, are better suited to a larger tank where they have room to school in a large group and swim around. Besides which, in my defence, a lot of the fish i mentioned are quite common - honey goruamies, sparklers, harlequins (though admittedly they were added later) etc.

With platies, I agree that they are often an option - but they are not actualy ideal for a 10 (or under) tank - for one they have a tendency to breed but, also, they are quite actvie and females grow to 2". Males, on the other hand, often bicker and chase any females around. They aer lvoely fish, of course, but this was mroe about very small (1" or so) fish that are very well suited to the smaller tanks :)

BTW, yes, that honey is a male kimmers :) And I'll edit my post again to include some of the extra pics as soon as I get the chance.

Oh and sorry to sort of 're-awaken' this thread :p I feel kind of uncomfortable doing so because it was pretty much dead lol but I felt I had to reply and eventualy edit my post anyway.

I'm still hoping for a pin on this one. Have any mods weighed in on this thread yet?

Wow, great topic & great advice... Wish I had come across this when I first started out fishkeeping last year.

Unfortunately I went down the route of trusting my lfs (stupid I now know!!) But I've got a 15G tank and some of the options in this thread would have been mush more suitable for me!

I'm now off to investigate the shell dwelling cichlid idea as it sounds very interesting... A tank makeover may be needed!!

Great thread guys, and this is my first post.

My common goldfish recently passed on :( , he was 12 years old.

I've been in two minds to stick with coldwater or try tropical.

I thought i had my heart set on getting a couple of fancy goldfish, but this may have changed my mind.

I have a 12-13 gallon tank - and the fish that have been mentioned here look gorgeous.

I've got a lot to think about - but i have lots of time, i've completely cleaned my tank out and rescaping it and fishless cycling it at the moment so will be a while before i make my decision, plenty of time to research :)

sorry for the newbie question,

what temperature would be ideal for these type of fish?

Yes this should be pinned i believe, its been organised alot better than some similar type posts and it will help ensure beginners dont end up buying massive fish for a small tank. Also you could probably keep a few Tateurndina ocellicauda (Peacock Goby) in there i believe. Not sure how easy to look after for beginners they are but i hear they can do well in a small well planted tank.

July06018.jpg

Bump - I love this thread. This is my female Honey Gourami showing the horizontal stripe Sylvia mentioned.
She is surrounded by baby Endlers.

why not add minnows and some of the smaller species of danios? they are common, at least where i live (usa).

Dragging this one up again, but I feel it's worth it. This was one of the first questions I asked when I came to this board and I've seen it asked a dozen times since. Definitely one worth pinning. :good:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back