Recommendations For A 10 Gallon

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I'm giving this a bump becaue I seem to suggest this thread to someone every single day - and I've noticed I'm not the only one :lol:

Am i correct in assuming these fish are tropical, i know zebra danios can tolerate room temp, what about all the others mentioned ... I like my Gold barbs, they look good and are pretty active ... why do LFS keep telling us to buy CAEs ?

Gaz

i was trying to find this thread the other day. PIN IIIT!!

knobby - danios really need a larger tank than 10 gallons as they're such active zippy fish. i think gold barbs also as they grow pretty big (about 2-3")

for anyone who needs to find this thread in the future (seeing as how it's obviously not getting pinned =) ) go to the pin me pin me thread in board announcements and click on page 2. Scroll down to the second post by bloo. Bloo has a pretty white cat as an avatar which makes it easier to find. That post has a link to this thread in it. Won't have to search through page after page after page of beginners posts to find it anymore=).

for anyone who needs to find this thread in the future (seeing as how it's obviously not getting pinned =) ) go to the pin me pin me thread in board announcements and click on page 2. Scroll down to the second post by bloo. Bloo has a pretty white cat as an avatar which makes it easier to find. That post has a link to this thread in it. Won't have to search through page after page after page of beginners posts to find it anymore=).
Actually, you don't even have to look that hard - I added it to the request list again the other day, so it's scurrently the last post in that thread.

Just wanted to say thankyou to everyone lol :)
And also - I've updated the pics and things quite recently and I'll add a note on temperatures as that's been asked twice already :)

Thanks Sylvia, Great Article. Your article has more (and more interesting) suggestions than I've had from the 3 LFS in Toulouse in five weeks of random visits and in the book I borrowed from the library.

I think another suggestion would be bumblebee gobies, as they are also quite colorful.

The problem with bumblebee gobies is that no one seems agreed on whether they are brackish or freshwater and there are several species that can be difficult to tell apart. If anyone has this information and some pics, I'd be happy to include them - provided there is a species suitable for freshwater that is relatively hardy and not impossible to identify :p

I'd like to add some suggestions:
Please not all of these are really tiny fish of about an inch maximum so be careful about the size of their tank mates or they are likely to be eaten!

Lampeye Killifish (aka Norman's Lampeye or Micropanchax Macrophthalmus)
I have 9 of these in a 12 gallon. Not one death so far! they seem quite hardy. Fast swimmers, the males are pugnacious with each other but don't harm each other. They shoal at the top of the tank and seem to like fast water flow. They eyes glow like neon tetras! Largest one I own is not quite 1 inch. Love 'em.
lampeyekilifish.jpg

Celestial Danio (formerly Galaxy Rasbora)
I have 8 in a little 5 gallon tank. Also tiny fish, largest I have is 3/4 inch. They poke around the bottom of the tank and are very peaceful. The males are darker than the females. Seem to be quite hardy, I've had them for 5 months without a death. Lovely little, laid back guys.
microrasbora_galaxy1.jpg

Pseudomugil Getrudae (Gertrude's Rainbow)
Also one inch maximum. I don't know anything about them other than what I've read on the net. I'd love to get my hands on some!
pseudomugilgertrudae.jpg

Mosquito Fish? (Heteranda Formosa)
Maximum seems to be 1.25 inches. Don't know anything about them but I read about someone having them in her planted tank.
heterandria_formosa_01.jpg

I have read your article with interest. My husband and I have just purchased an 8 gallon tank (supposedly for the children (age 2 and 1 !!)).

Can you tell me if the recommendations you have given would still apply. I am particularly interested in your "ideal combinations of fish". We are not really sure how to go about choosing but just know that we don't want any fights breaking out!!

We have a filter and heater and have treated the water ready to go. We have also tested the water and have a 8.5 ph value.

Many thanks

Melissa

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back