Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Quest for plakat fry

Discussion in 'Journals and Photographs' started by Demeter32, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Demeter32

Demeter32 Member

Having a few heating problems with the older fry's tank. For whatever reason the pre-set heater will only go to about 75F so I grabbed my adjustable heater for when I have to make a makeshift quarantine tank. The light works but it doesn't seem to be heating at all. Time for a new adjustable heater of a more reliable brand. Add another heater to my growing collection of junk equipment... I'm done being a cheapskate, I'll be spending a pretty penny for a decent heater.

On the bright side, the younger fry are doing amazing. They were able to find enough micro organism (with two additional feedings of infusoria culture) during the first week and now they are slurping up micro worms like champs. I just moved Dad out yesterday and did a tiny water change today. Sucked up a few fry while trying to remove some decayed leaf gunk but they seem no worse for wear after putting them back in.Their fancy adjustable heater is keeping the tank a toasty 82F. I'll be going on vacation for a week on Sunday so let's hope my sister can keep them going till I get back.

• Like Like x 1
  2. NickAu

NickAu Member
    Tank of the Month Winner!

Or

• Like Like x 1
  3. Demeter32

Demeter32 Member

Do you see what I see?
    DT fryB.JPG

So it seems momma had a DT gene and I am very excited about that. Hypothetically, a quarter of the spawn should be double tailed.

This one was harder to get a picture of but I'm pretty sure it's got 2 lobes on it's tail. One of the largest fry so far.
    DT fryA2.JPG

4. NickAu

NickAu Member

Double tails, Sweet

5. Demeter32

Demeter32 Member

Updated fry pics of the 2ish month olds. White specs are BBS.
    IMG_3262.JPG IMG_3273.JPG IMG_3285.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  6. Demeter32

Demeter32 Member

Will post more pictures shortly, for now just a wordy update. For whatever reason the numbers have dwindled from over a dozen to a mere 10 fry in the older batch. Never found dead bodies and all the other looks right as rain. I suspect amano shrimp may have picked off the weaklings. So far there's 2 white with blue, 2 blue, 1 greenish, and 5 that seem to be of no specific color. They'll likely end up like their aunts, dull natural looking bettas.

My baby double tails are growing well, I'm seeing a lot of blues and more of the white with blues like the ones uptop. Pictures to come soon.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Demeter32

Demeter32 Member

I just cannot take good pictures of these fry.

Older fry, pretty sure I have 2 males so far, the largest white one and the largest normal colored fry.
    IMG_3437.JPG IMG_3441.JPG
    Younger fry
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

The younger fry are showing plenty of color but of course it doesn't show well in pictures. I've been doing daily 50% water changes. Looks like its getting a little crowded so I might switch to twice daily 50% before moving them to a bigger tank.

• Like Like x 1
  8. NickAu

NickAu Member

I love baby photos.

9. Demeter32

Demeter32 Member

I moved the 7 remaining fry from the older batch into a different 10gal so the ragged CT can have their tank w/o fear of him eating my cherries.

One of these is more than likely a male, his fins are growing long and his beard shows ever so slightly. They've learned that shrimp pellets are tasty.
    IMG_3487.JPG IMG_3489.JPG IMG_3491.JPG IMG_3496.JPG IMG_3498.JPG IMG_3499.JPG

Babies in the other tank are doing well. They're started to accept crushed pellets. I'll be doing a culling soon. I've noticed a couple that look/behave odd. One seems to have a swim bladder issue, on won't grow, and then there's another with odd body shape. There's probably around 40 fry so perhaps doing some extra culling on "natural" colored fry is a good idea to keep things manageable.

Another thing to note, I don't think very many are going to have pelvic fins... https://bettaboy.wordpress.com/2017/08/01/why-my-betta-fries-got-no-ventral-fin/

The link says it all. I used micro worms for a few weeks when they were tiny and I must say I didn't clean the tank very well in fear of sucking them all up. The 3 runts from the older batch have pelvic fins but only a couple of the others have them, and one has a single pelvic fin. Should cause them any trouble though, just makes it a bit harder to sex them.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Demeter32

Demeter32 Member

Finally an updated picture of the young ones. They've taken to sinking spirulina pellets. I'm working on weaning them from baby brine shrimp.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1