Quest for plakat fry

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Oh he is nice, I might have to steal him.

I couldn't wait and now the lovely male with the mask is caring for fry at day 2 after hatching :D I missed the entire spawning process because I was called into work the day they did the deed (May 9th (2018)), but everything seems to of gone wonderfully. I debated for a while which female to use so I had both on one side of a divider and him on the other. The copper female showed the most interest so that's who I used. He's a great dad so far and it seems there will be a fair bit more fry than last time.

Anyone have a clue on if plakat fin types are dominant over HM? Just curious if these will all be plakat or if I will get some HM going on. Grandpa is a HM double tailed after all, so I'm guessing at least some will be HM. Who knows, maybe mom has a recessive double tailed gene, just like dad does. Can you tell I'm excited?

Pictures to come a while later, I don't want to disturb the male. First time dads seem more likely to eat their young so let's see if he sticks it out for a couple more days till they're free swimming.

Overdue update, dad fulfilled his duties and now has a peaceful 10gal tank full of tannin from oak leaves and driftwood. Mom's fins are healing up just fine and she's acting as per usual, like a pig.

Babies are getting bigger, but still look like specs. They're eating some of the smaller micro worms and seem to be doing well. Not a huge number of them but then again it's hard to count tiny specs in a 10gal with plants and substrate. I have a pair of amano shrimp and my brown male cherries in with the fry to help clean up uneaten food, they don't seem to bother the fry. I'll be doing their first water change here shortly.

The update was way overdue.

Finally got around to their first 50% water change. While using air line tubing to siphon out water (took ages) I discovered there seems to be more fry than I thought. Didn't suck any up, but I did scare some as I tried sucking up as much shrimp poo as possible. Theirs a few fry that are a bit bigger, around the size of new born guppy fry. Every one is plenty big enough to eat all sizes of micro worms, so things are going well.

Out a bit of sponge over the end of the hose it will save you sucking up fry.

Got around to snapping a few photos a bit ago. Not sure why it's belly is filled with dark matter, I've only been feeding micro worms so I've no clue what else it's been eating. 3 weeks old or something like that.
batch 2 betta fry B 6-1-18.JPG

batch 2 betta fry A 6-1-18.JPG

I had trouble spotting the fish, who knows what its been eating, a healthy tank has micro organisms in it that fish love.

Fry are growing and a couple are already showing some color. Doesn't show very well on the pictures but this fry has iridescent steel blue.
IMG_3167.JPG

blue F2 fryB 6-13-18.JPG

There's about 3 different sizes, these are the middle size. I've been doing 2-3 weekly water changes and 3-4 feedings a day.
F2 betta fry 6-13-18.JPG

Cool more baby photos

Few more photos and more news. I have a second spawn pretty much free swimming. Same dad but the mom is the white/blue HM (possibly plakat). This time I actually lowered the water level so dad didn't have to work so hard. Mom escaped with just a couple splits in her tail, it went really smoothly. Tried to grab a few photos and a video but, the lighting was just terrible.

Little over a month old, starting to get a too big for microworms. I've tried the canned baby brine shrimp but only a few have taken to them.
IMG_3197.JPG
IMG_3201.JPG

Never heard of it but I'll have to keep my eye out next time I go shopping. I'm sure everyone will love it though, bettas eat anything and everything.

Including plants and pest snails LOL.

Snails indeed but mostly rams horns in my case. I have snail graveyards in a couple areas of the sorority where the shells gather :D Every time a take a peek after lights out I see hundreds of MTS though, I suppose they escape the girls too easily during the day.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back