Planted Betta Sorority (Pic Heavy)

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

So far it looks like there are 3 little crypts growing. The banded khuli has got to be so full of eggs. Her whole tummy is tinted green and her female fish parts look like they need to release the eggs. I feel a little bad for her because I planned on getting other banded khuli instead of the blacks, but I haven't seen banded ones for sale in several years. I'm guessing the blacks won't spawn with banded khuli because they aren't even the same species are they?
IMG_0072.JPG
IMG_0068.JPG
IMG_0073.JPG

Oh I do like those crypts, I see your Kuhli is enjoying the tank.

The kuhlis don't hide much at all anymore. They're always doing something, usually wriggling around in the crypts. I really wish these crypts were a slightly taller variety to provide some more vertical cover for the bettas. The jungle val isn't growing much at all. I thought it would grow like a weed because everyone else seems to think they're easy, but not for me.

And people say Kuhlis are shy and hide a lot.

I know right? They just need proper lighting, a nice planted tank, and friends :)

I've counted 4 little crypts coming up, and only one is in a spot were it can get decent light. The girls are still healthy, but the little crown tail is getting a bit snotty. I saw her flare at the blue halfmoon and try to pick a fight with the blue veil tail. She's still the smallest though so I don't think she will cause too much trouble. They all have their place in the pecking order and I'm sure the boss (veil tail) will remain the queen.

Just for the heck of it, the pecking order goes like this:
Blue veil tail
Red/pink halfmoon
Blue halfmoon (fav) she's kinda a loner and does her own thing among the crypts in the back of the tank
Black/metallic crowntail

I have more pictures, but of baby things. I did a water change today and counted 8 little crypts. While trimming off old dying leaves I found some eggs that don't look all that snail-like. They're in small clumps and are yellow/orange colored and oval-ish. I plucked the leaf and put in in a breeder basket with a handful of oak leaves. We'll see what happens. They might still be snail eggs that just look different on the leafs
IMG_0101.JPG
IMG_0102.JPG

Baby crypts and the photo bombing queen.
IMG_0098.JPG
IMG_0096.JPG

That's sooo long :D I'm not too sure if any of my plants are that long foliage wise, but when I had to uproot them all after the other tank sprung a leak the root system for each plant was probably a good 8-10 inches. I had to trim them down quite a bit when I replanted them but they didn't seem to mind.

That cost me $50AUD before planting it I cut 3/4 of the roots off, The same plant is now 40 cm tall from substrate to tip of leaves and has at least double the foliage.

What kind of crypt is it? It looks the same as mine but then again, I've only ever had these crypts so I'm not well versed in the different species :/ I believe my plants are c. wendtii either green or brown.

I have no idea other than the fact that it is a crypt.

Now for the big news, I have a sorority of 3 girls now, Yes I know 3 isnt ideal but these 3 have been living in a planted 5 gallon cube for over 4 months, So I swapped my crown tail for them.

Nice :D I'm sure the girls will be much happier in a bigger tank.
I have big news too, I finally found the male plakat I've been searching for! Unfortunately it was sort of an impulse buy so his personal kingdom is going to be a work in progress for a while. Not too sure if I should make a separate thread for his tank because I'm really debating on turning the 20 long into a planted tank for the girls and then putting him in the 10. Either way it's going to have to wait till tomorrow. I'm working on getting my sister's 36gal planted and scaped at the moment. My new male gets to chill in a breeder basket till I move the fry in the 20 long into the 20 tall.

Btw, turns out the "loach" eggs were indeed fully developed baby snails :p they have pretty much all hatched and are crawling around in the breeder basket with the plakat.

Rams horn or pond snails?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back