Nnnnnnnooooooooooo!

http://www.seapets.co.uk/product-details/stkcode/950738.html
The more the better really, it is used as a Dechlor primarily but also (imo successfully) detoxifies ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, so worth getting a fair bit for the daily water changes.
Most LFS i know use it and alot of the big breeders on this site....
A small amount treats a large gallonage and even though it is high quality it works out as one of the cheaper Dechlors.
Warning! It can give you absurd ammonia readings, with colours that aren't even on your testers colour chart, due to the conversion of ammonia into ammonium, this is explained on SeaChems site heres the links;
Basic info; http://www.seachem.com/products/product_pages/Prime.html
FAQ; http://www.seachem.com/support/FAQs/Prime_faq.html
MSDS; http://www.seachem.com/support/MSDS/Prime.doc.pdf
It won't prevent your tank cycling, although may slow it down a little.....
:good:

hi guys,
perhaps somebody would like to donate a bit of filter media to help him cycle his tank? i would if mine was cycled.. only 4 days in at the moment :-(

rgds
chris

theres not many people on the forum that live around me, plus i have no transport.

Thanks for the input :good:

there is no point @tombomb you have obviuosly had a bad day at the office, what I mean is would you not rather be nice and help rather than be abrupt and off putting to a teenager. maybe then you would have a better chance to get through to them.

Any how cycling with fish (whether you like it or not) is still practised so you can either help them with it and try to make sure its as harmless as possible (and then you can hopefully wise them up to the better practises in a pleasant manner) or do the opposite and make them ignore you anyway.

your choice

If everyone condemned this practice as they should, then maybe people wouldn't even consider it as an option... ever think of that?

There'll always be people who kick their dogs, we don't say "well if you MUST kick your dog becasue you can't be bothered to train then kick them here because then it's not so bad", they get told they can't keep dogs. Now if this one someone who didn't know how to look after a dog, you might think "fair enough, maybe they don't know any other way" but if it's someone who's clearly got bored of looking after it and started kicking it, it's a different story.

Now if this one someone who didn't know how to look after a dog, you might think "fair enough, maybe they don't know any other way" but if it's someone who's clearly got bored of looking after it and started kicking it, it's a different story.

Agreed 100% If you don't know better then you can be forgiven but when you clearly do and are still willing to to keep an animal in very poor conditions for your own entertainment then you shouldn't be allowed to.

If I said I was getting a cat but my house is currently full of chemicals that might well kill that cat and at best will shorten its life span dramatically People would be outraged. Especially if I went on to say that I could clear the toxic chemicals out but its going to take too long and I cant be bothered.

If you are serious about keeping animals then it is your responsibility to make sure they are kept in the best possible conditions. While sometimes these conditions are not agreed on by everbody I think in this case everyone can agree that keeping fish in water full of ammonia and nitrite is very, very bad for them.

Anyway thats all I'm going to say.

Agreed 100% If you don't know better then you can be forgiven but when you clearly do and are still willing to to keep an animal in very poor conditions for your own entertainment then you shouldn't be allowed to.

If I said I was getting a cat but my house is currently full of chemicals that might well kill that cat and at best will shorten its life span dramatically People would be outraged. Especially if I went on to say that I could clear the toxic chemicals out but its going to take too long and I cant be bothered.

If you are serious about keeping animals then it is your responsibility to make sure they are kept in the best possible conditions. While sometimes these conditions are not agreed on by everbody I think in this case everyone can agree that keeping fish in water full of ammonia and nitrite is very, very bad for them.

Anyway thats all I'm going to say.

Can't really argue with that

Well as someone who's going through this at the moment (my lfs didn't tell me about fishless cycling) I wouldn't recommend it..............

It's ok saying you'll do a twice daily water change but the reallity is it's really hard work and I've lost 5 fish over the last 5 weeks even with this.

I really would just hang on and let your tank settle down mate - you'll be glad you did!!!!

:good:

i once did a fish cycle on a 20 gallon tank (i admit) back when i first started the fresh water side of the hobby, also back when i did all my shopping at petsmart. I did it with 5 danios. My maximum ammonia level got to 1.0 at one point and my nitrite got to 1.0 at one point as well, with one time both ammonia AND nitrite at 1.0 with fish in there. I had the heart to do 50% water changes everyday (which i hope you will do if you do end up doing a fish cycle) and the cycle took me 2 months. All fish made it through with flying colors.

After 5 months all of the original cycling fish died for no particular reason, they just hung out in the back of the tank not moving just floating, maybe a slight kick of the fin to keep them upright, then they stopped eating and died, and none of them ever layed eggs even though there were 3 females and 2 males. All 5 of them dead. Ever since that i never recommend a fish cycle. So you might end up doing it, and tell everyone "hey its ok, i did it and its fine" but cycling with fish causes long term damage (maybe even permanent damage). Please dont do a fishless cycle.

I did a fishless cycle on my planted tank that took 18 hours (ammonia went from 8.0 ppm to 0 in 18 hours) but thats because it was heavily planted

I did a fishless cycle on my marine tank with almost fully cured live rock which took a week

Both were MUCH easier than a fish cycle since i didnt need to do water changes.

You say you won't 'fully' stock the tank until 18th of August. If you fully stock it, Fish will die without a doubt. When doing a fish-in cycle you only need a few fish, Having too many will make your ammonia + nitrite levels go through the roof, Killing your fish, And the ones that survive most probably will have health problems. You will need to have a decent testing kit and test everyday and do water changes everyday. Seems easier to do a fishless cycle to me, It could take months to cycle the tank if you fully stock it.

i sed never sed i was going to fully stock it by 18th august, i said im going to add some fish on the 18th of august and build up the stocking slowly

and i know exactly what i need as this isnt my first tank

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back