Nnnnnnnooooooooooo!

i see it like, if your putting a fish in new water, isnt it the same as a water change? or somewhat like a partial water change

no it isn't, the water is nothing to do with it, it's the filter that matters

If you've waited 6 weks then waiting a little longer isn't going to hurt. After all, it's about the welfare of the fish and what's best for them.
Our marine tank took 8 weeks to cycle but we remained patient and it paid off in the end. Please think about what's best for the fish and not what's best for you.

Rosek - It's really not a good idea recommending not doing a cycle, it may have worked for you but it won't work for everyone. Not only that, you say that you've lost fish for different reasons. Could part of that be due to not cycling the tank?!

i see it like, if your putting a fish in new water, isnt it the same as a water change? or somewhat like a partial water change

It's nothing at all like a partial water change. Water doesn't stay clean by itself, and the mechanical filtration of the tank only removes solids large enough to be caught...not the dangerous chemicals that come from a fishes waste products. That is what the biological filter is for, and it can take several weeks to form. I'm fairly certain that YOU don't want to be locked in a closet with no functioning toilet or air vents, but that isn't even nearly as bad as what fish are subjected to.

no.. the truth is one fish was a rosey barb and the shoal wasnt big enough one would attack everything, and my brother punished it up putting it in a cup...

6 weeks and the ammonia hadnt dropped to 0 once, can you understand my situation more now?

I perfectly understand but like I said it took 8 weeks to cycle our SW tank. If you really care about fish then you won't mind waiting a little longer.

yeh, but people say nitrite takes twice as long as ammonia to drop to 0 and seen as the ammonia hasnt dropped to 0 in 6 weeks, which means a minimum of 12 weeks!

I can see why you are frustrated Orange but it really is better continuing with the fishless cycle. It isn't fair to use fish and cause them stress and risk having them die.

made me even more fustrated that I wanted to get the fish on my birthday

I really do sympathise with you but it will be cycled before you know it. It also gives you more time to plan what you want to do with the tank.

I really do sympathise with you but it will be cycled before you know it. It also gives you more time to plan what you want to do with the tank.

ive already planned for 6 weeks and I know what i want now :lol:

Most reactions

Back