Nano Iwagumi Planted "serene".. That's The Goal!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

how's the tank going?

you should attempt something like this next
drool.gif

IMG_29611.JPG

Robbo85 said:
how's the tank going?

drool.gif

attachicon.gif
IMG_29611.JPG

Hey Robbo85! The tank isn't looking too shabby, I added some Hemianthus micranthemum and two nerite snails (one zebra nerite and one horned nerite for algal maintenance). I'll add some pictures in the next day or so!
wahey.gif

That tank is amazing!! I do have some spare rock and fishing wire lying around, I could give it a try over my summer break! Why don't you give it a try, do you have many planted tanks??

I was actually thinking of setting up an amazon river biotope for corydoras catfish and implementing a breeding regime. My local fish store shares my immense love for catfish and has a wide variety of rarer species - getting some spawning would be my dream!
drool.gif

drool.gif

fishmad135 said:

how's the tank going?

drool.gif

attachicon.gif
IMG_29611.JPG

Hey Robbo85! The tank isn't looking too shabby, I added some Hemianthus micranthemum and two nerite snails (one zebra nerite and one horned nerite for algal maintenance). I'll add some pictures in the next day or so!
wahey.gif

That tank is amazing!! I do have some spare rock and fishing wire lying around, I could give it a try over my summer break! Why don't you give it a try, do you have many planted tanks??

I was actually thinking of setting up an amazon river biotope for corydoras catfish and implementing a breeding regime. My local fish store shares my immense love for catfish and has a wide variety of rarer species - getting some spawning would be my dream!
drool.gif

drool.gif

thanks,

I do, I have a amazon planted tank. sadly I don't have any space for another tank or I might give it a go.

looking forward to seeing your pics.
smile.png

Thanks Robbo85!! What sort of species do you have in your amazon tank? 

Heres my new zebra nerite snail (and the new Hemianthus micranthemum in the background), 
IMG_1904.JPG

Family photo of the zebra and horned 
IMG_6895.JPG
I feel like I should name them as they are the only inhabitants in the tank for the time being 
innocent.gif

Here's a picture of some pearling hemianthus callitrichoides too...
wub.png

IMG_6888.JPG

Any suggestions for the limnophilia replacements?

A little bit of an update before I transport the tank home from uni on thursday - that should be interesting!

DSC_0282.JPG
DSC_0268.JPG

As soon as it's home i'll be able to stock.. so excitinggggg!!

that looks great, you must be so pleased.

looking forward to seeing it with some new inhabitants.

a shrimp tank? or maybe raise some fry/juvies in there if you have a bigger tank.

Thats such a good idea!! Yeah I have some pygmy cory juvies that could go in the actually! Deffo shrimp tooooo
biggrin.png

What shrimp species do you like? There are so many different types
ohmy.png

My personal favourite shrimp is the Cameroon armoured shrimp Atya gabonensis but this is one of the bigger types of shrimp and may not be suitable, Crystal and blue shrimp are my favs for the smaller types.

4 hour journey home and I think the plants all survived the lack of water (I sprayed and cling filmed everything so it wouldn't dry out!). Filled the tank back up but I think the substrate may have been a little unsettled and so the water is cloudy as heck!

Stocking may need to take a back seat over the next few days, my other tanks have had plant growth out of control so I'll have to focus on trimming those instead!! It's crazy!

Is there any important things I should be aware of regarding shrimp keeping? I've never kept them before!

only thing really is you have to be careful what medicines and ferts you use as some contain copper which is harmful. Other than that treat them like any fish - good water quality and match parameters to their needs.

also if you go for a small size shrimp make sure they cant get sucked into the filter, if the filter has large openings attaching a piece of sponge can stop them being sucked in.

some people dose shrimp tanks with iodine to help with molting but there is debate about this and that it can force shrimps to molt rather than aid it. Calcium supplements also are often used, personally when keeping shrimp in the past I had more success when not adding iodine or calcium but I couldn't necessarily put it down to that factor alone.  

they certainly are interesting to watch though!

Robbo85 said:
only thing really is you have to be careful what medicines and ferts you use as some contain copper which is harmful. Other than that treat them like any fish - good water quality and match parameters to their needs.

also if you go for a small size shrimp make sure they cant get sucked into the filter, if the filter has large openings attaching a piece of sponge can stop them being sucked in.

some people dose shrimp tanks with iodine to help with molting but there is debate about this and that it can force shrimps to molt rather than aid it. Calcium supplements also are often used, personally when keeping shrimp in the past I had more success when not adding iodine or calcium but I couldn't necessarily put it down to that factor alone.  

they certainly are interesting to watch though!

Wow, thats brilliant thank you!! I can't wait to show you pictures of the tank when its got some inhabitants 
smile.png

I want to let the tank settle before I move my cory juveniles in, as well as making sure the water parameters are okay, of course!!!
yahoo.gif

yahoo.gif

yahoo.gif

yahoo.gif

FIRST INHABITANTS HAVE ENTERED! 
yahoo.gif

So 4 of my C.pygmaeus juveniles look about big enough to leave the fry tank and start a big boy shoal of their own 
cool.png
, netting them was "interesting" lets just say (with cory fry flying everywhere!). Some of their younger siblings will join them soon I hope! They'll live in this tank for a couple of months and then I'll move them on to one of the community tanks! I feel like a very proud momma 
wub.png
wub.png

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back