My new sorority

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Well the girls seem to have no problem eating the bigger NLS pellets New Life Spectrum Betta Pellets Size Issues

There is no aggression between them so far and at feeding time they remind me of Guppies all bunched up and swimming over each other to get to the food.

I got a few stalks of wisteria and broke them up, This gives them cover when they come to the top.

HayeBcc.jpg

Yes, female bettas most certainly do bunch up and swim all over each other when it's feeding time :D I think I actually favor my females to my males .That just might be because the girls' tank is 2 feet from my bed where as the males are upstairs ;)

I know the rules of Betta sororities is a minimum of 5 females.

I have had these 3 for 7 days now and have not seen any aggression, Remember these 3 were introduced to each other as young fish and have been living in a 5 gallon cube for at least 4 months before I got them, and they came from a sorority tank in a pet shop when the people I got them from got them.

Please watch this video then tell me why I should mess with this dynamic by adding more fish.

This is how they spend their day there is virtually no chasing no flaring or body slapping.
Sorry for bad video.

I do not need any more plants .

Last edited:
There's absolutely no need to add more girls. I kept 3 for nearly a year until I found a little crowntail I couldn't walk away from and added her to the mix. No aggression, no torn fins, healthy fish. The only reason I'd add more is because there was one I couldn't leave at the pet store.

I have had these 3 for 7 days now and have not seen any aggression, Remember these 3 were introduced to each other as young fish and have been living in a 5 gallon cube for at least 4 months before I got them, and they came from a sorority tank in a pet shop when the people I got them from got them.

Please watch this video then tell me why I should mess with this dynamic by adding more fish.

This is how they spend their day there is virtually no chasing no flaring or body slapping.
Sorry for bad video.

I think the key with sororities is that no two sororities are alike. Each betta (male or female) has its own personality and you need to act accordingly. The 'rules' aren't so much 'rules' but guidelines. 5 or more is a nice thing to say for someone when they are first setting up a sorority, BUT... when adding new fish to an existing sorority, there is a major danger of upsetting the 'order'. If the order is well established (which it certainly seems to be) and there are no apparent problems (which at this point there doesn't seem to be), adding more two the equation just means that you've increased the odds of having a problem arise.

The best advice I can give from my extremely limited sorority experience is this: "Don't fix what ain't broken."

Now, on the flip side, there's a chance that as they get used to the newer, larger tank, trouble could start up. In that case, it would be worthwhile to look to increase the numbers... and in a tank that size, you could add another 6 easily without overcrowding. (I always recommend odd numbers.) If you ever need to go that route, I'd recommend removing the existing females, giving the tank a redecoration and breaking up any existing territorial boundaries that might have existed, and then adding all the females at once (as best you can), with the original group being the last ones added back.

But, right now, there's no reason to upset the apple cart.

Sorry for bad video.

Each tank and fish do differ a lot and no two tank being the same can make suggestions hit or miss at times.

Just as no two fish's personality are the same, especially so with bettas.

You are the only one who can judge whether its suitable to add more female bettas into your tank to help spread the agression but if there is no trouble with your 3 then thats certainly perfectly acceptable.

No one here is saying you should definitely add more female bettas to bring numbers up to at least 5, they are given as a suggestion in case aggression and problems occur.

Also the same goes for adding more plants, in some cases this help, again, with the aggression factor to break lines of sights and to provide hiding spaces. This is certainly not the case with your lush tank.

Bettas, being not a shoaling nor a schooling specie absolutley differs on a case by case basis since they are usually a solitary specie who makes a mockery of the usual fishkeeping rules :lol:

This thread will certainly help those who may be considering setting up a betta or a sorority tank ;)

EDIT - I see Eagles posted at the same time :lol:

Don't laugh this is an experiment.

Take 1 new soap holder.
ciWxPax.jpg

Fill with gravel and plants.
Mb5L2mI.jpg

Put into tank for this result.
pEhRCzX.jpg

I have 3 soap holders and will eventually put them in along the back, I am actually looking at putting in some Pilea depressa in the other 2 baskets.

emZjxGp.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back