My new sorority

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

NickAu

Fish Connoisseur
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I do not know what came over me but I traded my Crown tail for 3 feisty girls.

These 3 were living in a 5 gallon cube they now live in my 20 gallon.

This one has been making a great dent in the shrimp population.
DcDraj3.jpg

These are the twins
4PGqEhg.jpg

pDi4pqx.jpg

M2egPMX.jpg

Last edited:
Gorgeous fish!

Female bettas are terribly underrated, IMHO. They're just as beautiful as the boys :)

Yeah, what Fluttermoth said! Those are 3 beautiful fish! How are they getting along together?

Nice, a pretty big change for you from a single crowntail and certainly worth doing for the experienced betta keepers but not for the faint hearted.

Quoted from Betta Splenden Caresheet -

"Female bettas can only be kept with other female bettas if a variety of conditions are met. Bettas, including female bettas, are solitary, territorial fish, which are more at home in individual tanks. If housed together, females must be kept in groups of four or more in an appropriately sized tank (ten gallons or larger) that has a lot of plants (silk or live) and a lot of hiding places. Keeping more than four female bettas together helps diffuse the aggression. A sorority set-up is not natural for the bettas, though convenient for the keepers, and they must be monitored closely. Some female bettas are just too aggressive to be kept in a sorority, even if the suggested guidelines are followed. It is important to keep an eye on such a set-up to make sure the bettas are safe and happy. It is recommended that only experienced betta keepers attempt a sorority."

According to that article, it seems you could add a few more females to your 20 gal tank to help spread aggression between these fiesty females ;)

As they have lived together for about 4 months before I got them they are fine other than the fact they are eating all my shrimp.

As they have lived together for about 4 months before I got them they are fine other than the fact they are eating all my shrimp.

Shrimps = expensive snacks :X Sure hope the Bettas are enjoying them at least :lol:

But hey ho, that's what happens sometimes, hopefully a few shrimps will survive hiding in plants and decor etc ^_^

The RCS are there for food and I can get feeder shrimp ( RCS culls ) from a friend cheap.

I think I might regret this, before I had just the crown tail flaring at me and begging for food now I have 3 females doing it.

I am thinking about getting one or 2 more females the problem is these 3 are full grown chunky girls and all I can seem to find is young small ones, anyway I spaced out the plants a bit and will be getting a few more tall ones, good news is all 3 flared at my hand while it was in the tank.

Last edited:
93zl1Fk.jpg

Those crypts came out of the right hand corner of the tank.

I follow a girl on instagram who maintains the most BEAUTIFUL and well balanced sorority I've ever seen.
She actually has gorgeous heavily planted tanks all over her house (which is also beautiful). And most are betas. (one tropical and one pea puffer).

She posts the most beautiful pictures and so much wonderful informative information. And even though she has 20some thousand followers that are constantly asking questions ...she tries very hard to answer.

Her screen name is motherofsharks and if you get a chance, I urge you to check her out....if for no other reason than to look at her sorority pics and videos.

Her sorority is very heavily planted and she has 9 girls which she hand picked after quarantining each and examining behaviors very carefully.

She claims that you can have no less than 5 because of aggression. I have no experience so I can't say but hers do really well and man are they amazing!

I am going to check out a female PK today.

Water has cleared up

29mvijb.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back