My Fishless Cycling With A Twist!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Guys,

I think we are going to have to agree to disagree on some points and remember that this thread is Efren documenting his finding using his chosen method and as a result we should not hijack it with further discussions. There are other threads available if you wish to discuss in detail the pros and cons of a variety of products.

I think its best if we keep detailed discussions to a minimum and concentrate on Efrens results.

Yes please - let's concentrate on Efren's situation. Efren is not sure whether his tank has cycled. He has added a lot of ammonia, which has since dropped. After an initial nitrite blip, he has not seen a corresponding increase in nitrite or nitrate. This is puzzling as the ammonia has to have gone somewhere. This applies whether he is using bottled bacteria, mature media, or bacteria growing 'naturally' in his filter.

One possible explanation is that there is something wrong with his test for nitrate (or ammonia, or nitrite). This is not unlikely, as a lot of people have problems with the nitrate test in particular, shaking the bottle for long enough, leaving it to stand for the correct amount of time. Also it is not unknown for the test to go off. You can check this by getting the water tested at your lfs and ask them to write down the results, especially the nitrate result.

A second possibility is that the bactinettes are not acting like 'normal' bacteria, and are not converting the ammonia to nitrite and the nitrite to nitrate - either mopping it up, or converting it to something else. This doesn't seem to be the case in others' reported experiences that I've read, but I don't know enough about them to be sure.

Another possible explanation is that there is something else in the tank which mops up ammonia, nitrite and/or nitrate which Efren hasn't yet mentioned, like Amquel plus, and which is distorting the test results. There are other unlikely possibilities but I'd want to rule out the others first.

We don't care at this stage whether there is nitrate in the tank - EXCEPT as an indicator of whether the tank is cycled and the bacteria are successfully processing ammonia and nitrite. If there really is no increase in nitrate, then the tank can't be conventionally cycled, because the bacteria will produce nitrate as their end product. This applies whether they are bottled, grown naturally, or from any other source. The only difference will be the time it takes to achieve the full cycle - which might be several weeks if you're waiting for them to grow naturally, or it might be a lot less if you add them from mature media (or if you add them successfully from a bottle).

Sorry Efren - you're getting a lot of very mixed information, because people are interested in the whole bottled bacteria issue (with some strong feelings on both sides). I would say, stay with minxfishy (who has been giving you excellent advice so far), and don't add fish until you can account for the strange test results you're getting. If it is a faulty nitrate test, then your tank may be cycled, and you might be fine, but if something else is going on, then you risk a lot of dead fish.

And please keep us posted - a lot of people are very interested in your results!

LOL u seem 2 have alot of answers where theres no need for them as for wot u wrote abouts ppl interested in the whole bottled bacteria part then yes because this is wot obviously is causing the problem him adding it and expecting mjor results but yet again it hs failed so basically the botle bacteria is down 2 all the grief that efrens having so IMO it's a major part of this thread efren like most of ppl mentions i would carry on with ur normal add and wait method untill ur nitites and nitrates start 2 show, take a sample of the water 2 ur LFS is a good idea at least that rules out tyhe possibilty of it been a bad test:)

jen

:crazy:

no worries guys--
actually i really like the flow of discussion in this thread
and it's gonna be a good read for newbies like me..
so don't mind me-- we can still do a bit of brain storming
about our opinions in this matter--- (just keep it cool-)
we don't want to end up hating each other-- :lol:

and i want to thank you all for giving your time and energy
to give your suggestions, comments, opinions etc etc.
and it's very much appreciated---

i'll keep this thread updated-

this is my last test result by the waY:
DSC00002.JPG

this was after 6-7hrs of adding ammonia--- 3mls
i conducted the test 5-6hrs early to see wether the ammonia i'm using(homebase)
is ammonia indeed.. :lol: because if i'm goin to wait for 12hrs to do the test--
then i'll be getting zero in ammonia and niTRITES alike---

and i'm aware on how to do the test-- i've read the instructions word by word-

:good:

LOL u seem 2 have alot of answers where theres no need for them as for wot u wrote abouts ppl interested in the whole bottled bacteria part then yes because this is wot obviously is causing the problem him adding it and expecting mjor results but yet again it hs failed so basically the botle bacteria is down 2 all the grief that efrens having so IMO it's a major part of this thread efren like most of ppl mentions i would carry on with ur normal add and wait method untill ur nitites and nitrates start 2 show, take a sample of the water 2 ur LFS is a good idea at least that rules out tyhe possibilty of it been a bad test:)

jen

taking some samples to my nearest LFS is a big NO NO... :lol:
i need to find a reputable LFS around London-- cause i've talked to my LFS regarding with this matter..
and guess what the owner told me...

we never do tests, cause most of the results you're gonna get is false
not unless your a chemist yourself who can formulate your own nitrogen cycle solution

then as the conversation goes she ended up saying--

we always use Tetra SafeStart - 50mls can have a 50-60L tank up and running in a week

then soon after that i told her that i would love to hear more about it but
i really need to look for a loo in the area-- so i went back to my car ---
and went back home.. :D

Sorry Efren - you're getting a lot of very mixed information, because people are interested in the whole bottled bacteria issue (with some strong feelings on both sides). I would say, stay with minxfishy (who has been giving you excellent advice so far), and don't add fish until you can account for the strange test results you're getting. If it is a faulty nitrate test, then your tank may be cycled, and you might be fine, but if something else is going on, then you risk a lot of dead fish.

And please keep us posted - a lot of people are very interested in your results!

don't be sorry :hey:

this is getting more and more interesting read everyday---
i know most of us is very well accustomed with the Fishless Cycle-- maybe that's why i decided
to add a bit of a "TWIST" with mine-- and it sure did Twists our Minds---

and as i've said-- it would be my pleasure to give you
updates on my journey---

and no worries.. i don't have fish yet-- :hey:
been to my LFS this afternoon--
First Buy Attempt-- (but somethin' funny -yet weird- happend)
i stated that in my previous post so you can read it above.. :D

don't be sorry :hey:

this is getting more and more interesting read everyday---
i know most of us is very well accustomed with the Fishless Cycle-- maybe that's why i decided
to add a bit of a "TWIST" with mine-- and it sure did Twists our Minds---

and as i've said-- it would be my pleasure to give you
updates on my journey---

and no worries.. i don't have fish yet-- :hey:
been to my LFS this afternoon--
First Buy Attempt-- (but somethin' funny -yet weird- happend)
i stated that in my previous post so you can read it above.. :D

Thank you Efren in understanding the need for discussion :good: At no point have any of us gone off topic as everything is relevant to your thread, it may just of got a little heated at times :lol:

It's good for all of us to learn, I think it's inportant for you to take from this thread what you must and only take the point which make sense to yourself. I know who I agree with but there may also be a lot of truth in what the others say, this is up to you to decide on and practice :nod:

As most of us have stated before - The nitrate ideally needs to show to prove the cycle is complete. As the NitrIte is still showing 0 at 6-7 hours after adding ammonia I would say that the ammonia is definately going elsewhere i.e being mopped up by something else and this could possibely be the bactinettes if you have nothing else in your tank such as live plants which would be doing this.

Vicki

Again in agreement with Vicki :) The nitrItes should show somewhere and since you added the bact's they have never shown themselves, proceed with caution if you are going to add fish. Again, would still be tempted to remove the bact's, add the ammonia and then see what the results are 24hrs later :)

hi guys-- i thought of putting more pics-- but it's all the same-- :D

ammonia: 0 nitrire: 0 nitrate slightly higher than before darker than 5 :D and pH still 8.
this results are 12hrs after raising ammonia to 5ppm --- so i thing for sure-- the ammonia
breaks down-- into (well maybe nitrITES)although it's not there as well :D then niTRITES to
niTRATES (again maybe)-- 'cos my niTRATES stay the same since---

i never add anythin in the tank ever since i begun the cycle--
the only thing i did add Bactinettes :hey: along with assorted plastic and silk plants
a natural kaynite crystal rock and a medium sized mopani-- :D

i thought of what minxfishy suggested-- just for for the tests sake--
but i'll be back to square one.. so my descission is--- i'll get another reasonable size tank :D
i saw some good deals in some websites--- what i'm after is the tank that axle just bought
not too long ago-- :D then that's the only way we can surely compare the cycle with and without Bactinettes-
i still got 3portions of it in the fridge-- hope they're still alive though :lol:

anyway-- i'm only doin this cause i want to learn some more-- :D
it's a shame i didn't experience the challenging part of the "OLD SKUL" method
like the Battling for NitRATES removal etc etc. So i'm aiming for that thing
this time.. :D as for my First Tank--

i conclude that it's been ["BACTINATED" (axleuk®2008)] :hey:
and i'm about to stock it with 2 fishes at a time---- (just to stay in the safe side)
as these are the suggestions as well of people around here (through PMs)
people that based on their profiles are highly reputable enough to convinced me
that my tank is cycled ---- *they didn't bother to join us in our discussion--
*shame* cause we can learn alot from them as well.. :D but IMO-- they did
that to avoid more heated conversation and stuff-- :hey:

so thanks for the help guys---

As mentioned at the end of the day it is your decision so I wish you well with it.

Although do bear in mind that both myself and minxfishy do not think that your tank is cycled because you are yet to see nitRATES and as you know:

Ammonia ----> Nitrite ----> Nitrate

Now if the Nitrite were being processed the Nitrate would be appearing as the only way to remove it is through water changes and you haven't done any of these.

When you add fish they wont immediately become ill but you need to carry on with testing every day as I still think you have a Nitrite spike to come in which case you will have to do large water changes every day until it is cycled. However you "may" be cycled and might never see these problems, I however find it unlikely.

As mentioned before though I wish you all the luck and please keep us posted. It's a real shame Miss Wiggle and Waterdrop are away as people seem to listen to them, including me and if perhaps they agreed with you maybe they could put it in simple terms for me lol.

P.S I like your reasoning for a new tank :hey:

good luck m8 i agree with the above but yeh it's ur decision :) hope everythink goes well for u :)

jen

Good luck mate, i think the best fish to start off with are a trout and a nice salmon. Make sure you have a good strong filter with lots of flow as the salmon will prefer that. If the fish die, no worries, you can have a nice trout stuffed with dill or Salmon with a nice hollandaise sauce.

:)

As mentioned at the end of the day it is your decision so I wish you well with it.

Although do bear in mind that both myself and minxfishy do not think that your tank is cycled because you are yet to see nitRATES and as you know:

Ammonia ----> Nitrite ----> Nitrate

Now if the Nitrite were being processed the Nitrate would be appearing as the only way to remove it is through water changes and you haven't done any of these.

When you add fish they wont immediately become ill but you need to carry on with testing every day as I still think you have a Nitrite spike to come in which case you will have to do large water changes every day until it is cycled. However you "may" be cycled and might never see these problems, I however find it unlikely.

As mentioned before though I wish you all the luck and please keep us posted. It's a real shame Miss Wiggle and Waterdrop are away as people seem to listen to them, including me and if perhaps they agreed with you maybe they could put it in simple terms for me lol.

P.S I like your reasoning for a new tank :hey:

thank you viki..
our topic here gives me a lot of understanding
with Fishless Cycling- "nitrogen cycle" and stuff--
and our concern always is for the welfare of our Fishes..
so i'll keep you posted---

good luck m8 i agree with the above but yeh it's ur decision :) hope everythink goes well for u :)

jen

thanks Jen---

Efren,

How's your tank?

I've just read through this thread for the first time and it's a month after your last post. I feel a little like the soap opera has been cut off in mid-crisis.

Did you ever get an identifiable rise in the Nitrate level?
When did you add your fish, and how did they do?
What kinds of fish did you add?
Did you set up the second tank you were talking about?
Did Marcia ever run away with Ken, or did she stay with Lance? :fun:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back