My Fishless Cycle Log, *updated Daily*

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Day 25 *Updated*

Still goinf slow/backwards. I wish i would not of done that WC now as it seems its messed everything up.

I hope this dont happen when i change the water 24hrs before getting fish?

my plants did not come today, there comming 2moz now. its not goin to be heavly planted, but a fair ammout so they will use some ammonia and nitrate.

I was hoping to get fish the weekend, but looks like that gone out of the window,

unless i get 0/0 from now till sunday morning, lol

:good:

it looks like its coming to close to double 0's now, so hopefully not long, i dont know why the ammonia sometimes remains at 12 hours, this also happened after my 2nd nitrite spike, and to a couple of other people on here too. I did a 90% water change today too so will see what happens now.

weird that the A-bacs are struggling now, if some of them did die off for whatever reason, surely u should stil get 0's at 24hours? but A-bacs recover quite quick so hopefully they should grow to process all the ammonia soon. Am stumped as to why its happening though, surely by now it should be ok?

Do plants use up some ammonia? I think they do, so hopefully u'll return to 0's whilst teh A-bacs recover back to size if thats whats causing this.

I did a water change last night and I got 0.25 - 0.50 ammonia, and 2 - 5ppm nitrite, but double zeros this evening, BUT my tank is half the size of yours which could account for the differences.

Plants definately take up ammonia. Technically, they can take up all three, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, but with typical plant species in typical situations one might generalize that they take up ammonia the most, then nitrate(NO3) the next most and finally, hardly take up any nitrite(NO2) at all or take up none. For typical beginners, the amount of these things that plants take up is really not much and often can't even be noticed while fishless cycling. But as a tank moves toward being more of a "planted" tank (ie. 70% of substrate covered with plants and sufficient lighting, carbon and nutrient dosing, this will change, with strongly growing plants actually being capable of not leaving enough ammonia for much of a bacterial colony to be able to develop.

I'm not directing any of this to your thread here (I haven't even reviewed it).. I was just responding to that question yasinullah pu in the last post about whether plants take up any ammonia.

~~waterdrop~~

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back