My Fishless Cycle Log, *updated Daily*

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Tested this morning and the nitrites are still at 1? and the nitrates are lighter than about 2 days ago?

Is this normal or is something goin wrong

Day 21 *Updated*

Iv upt my PH tp around 8.2 which is in between the best range for bacteria growth,

Nitrates looked darker than this morning so hopefully should see a change 2moz.

:good:

If i get a 0/0 2moz im i ok to do a full water change?

Also how much bacteria is in the sand?

As im water to put Cat Litter down then cap with sand and give it a week to settle down ;)

N-bac growth might be slower at this stage due to high nitrate levels that have built up, so will just take some more time probably.

I read on here about the cat litter while back, its a good substrate for plants right?

I'm eyeing up a Juwel Rio 180 or the even nicer Vision 180 (too pricey!!!!!) for the near future, don't think I'll try real plants til then seems hard work :( but they look great!!!!!

although I'm normally up for water changes am really not sure this time round, i'd be tempted maybe to give it another couple of days

There is some of the beneficial bacteria in the substrate, on the aquarium glass, on all of the ornaments etc. If you are going to alter the substrate, it would be better to do it before you get the fish into the tank. That way things can settle back down before you have any fish in the tank.

I got that. The message is the same. If you will be making changes, it is better to do it before the fish go into the tank. That way things can settle down while there are no fish present to be harmed.

Day 22 *Updated*

Right!

Did a 90% water change to kick start my cycle again, all back going with a re-dose of 5ppm of ammonia

Found what looks like planaria, i dosed some King British White Spot, which is copper based and kills inverts

but iv since learned planaria is not really affected by meds or treaments, dont know what there living on as there is no food or nothing
unless there feeding on the scum layer on the top layer of water due to the fishless cycle process and no WC or algae?

Just abit worried as my last cycle had to be re-started due to leeches! :sly:

Day 23 *Updated*

Not so bothered about this mornings test as i did a full water change, plus i took my media trays out to look for anything wrong ( only out for about 3mins)

i did an ammonia test at 11am today and it was 0 my ammonia now show a slight hint of green, unless i mis counted the drops but dont think i did.

im wanting to get fish this weekend iv got plants coming wed and what to get all set up, so i hope i get a 0 2moz!

Day 23 *Updated*

Not so bothered about this mornings test as i did a full water change, plus i took my media trays out to look for anything wrong ( only out for about 3mins)

i did an ammonia test at 11am today and it was 0 my ammonia now show a slight hint of green, unless i mis counted the drops but dont think i did.

im wanting to get fish this weekend iv got plants coming wed and what to get all set up, so i hope i get a 0 2moz!
tested this morning after 12 hours PH 8.0 Ammonia 0.50 Nitrite 0.75 Nitrate 20 .
whats going on ?

Day 24 *Updated*

Well the test/cycle are screwed up, today at4PM there was a slight hint of green in the ammonia.

Just tested now and it cam up 0.25, i re-tested again and it came up 0ppm :S

my Ammonia test bottles are new and been used around 10 times,

it seems as my cycle is goin backwards.

i started my first cycle on the 26th june, this is my 3rd time round.

i use tetra aquasafe as my de-chlor i filled up via a hose-pipe but before i did i filled a 10L bucket with water and put de-chlor in for a full tank during fill i put 2ml the towards the end i put another 2ml just tpo make sure,

my plants arecomming 2moz, they will get soaked for 24hrs to kill any meds and/or snails extra, so thursday i will be setting my tank up

Iv got some seachem prime de-chlor would it help if i put a few ml of that in?

its probably just due to the water change, it sometimes takes a couple of days to recover, thats what I was told after my 1st water change, and mine took about 5 days to reach the same point again at the time. Hopefully it'll be back to normal soon

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back