My Fishless Cycle Log || Everything That Has A Beginning Has An End&#3

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Sorry, did not explain myself very well. I was suggesting that you remove the carbon and replace with sponge or bio media, carbon does a good job of removing meds and tannins but not the best media for promoting the growth of the bacterias you want to colonise within the filter.

Keith.

Sorry, did not explain myself very well. I was suggesting that you remove the carbon and replace with sponge or bio media, carbon does a good job of removing meds and tannins but not the best media for promoting the growth of the bacterias you want to colonise within the filter.

Keith.

Oh ok, I'll have to look into that next weekend. How would replacing it with alfagrog fair?

Keith.

Oh ok, I'll have to look into that next weekend. How would replacing it with alfagrog fair?

So today my Ammonia reading is at 2.0ppm.
Myabe this is due to the amount of water that has left the tank since I first started cycling. If it's any lower over the next to days I will do a Nitrate test.

Arghhh looks like the new filter I brought has a problem and will have to be sent away for upto a week. Looks like my fishless cycle isn't going to be quick and all my donated media's bacteria will die :(... Bad times.

can you not get the old filter going with the media and run it till the the new one returns and then swap it back?
or
tell the company that your filter media will die. If the new filter is still partly functioning, keep it running and tell them to send you a replacement, swap everything over and then return it to them.

can you not get the old filter going with the media and run it till the the new one returns and then swap it back?
or
tell the company that your filter media will die. If the new filter is still partly functioning, keep it running and tell them to send you a replacement, swap everything over and then return it to them.

What I have ended up doing is Buying a Eheim 2213 which i think although less powerful than my other filter is still more than enough for 125L tank.

Once that arrives and I can transfer media I'll send the other filter back to be repaired and then put the one I least like on ebay.

Anyway, another day another test... Nothing much to report really. Ammonia has dropped to 1.0ppm So I'm topping back up to 4.

Let the ammonia drop to 0ppm or as close to (if it is stuck at 0.25 for many days) before redosing.

Let the ammonia drop to 0ppm or as close to (if it is stuck at 0.25 for many days) before redosing.

Thanks for the advice I will do in future :good:

Todays results are back at 4.0ppm. I ordered a Eheim 2213, do you think it will be ok for this tank?

It is rated for tanks up to 250L so should be fine.

Quite a lot of people use these so you should be able to get help in this section or the diy section if you need it.

It is rated for tanks up to 250L so should be fine.

Quite a lot of people use these so you should be able to get help in this section or the diy section if you need it.

Set it up today and seems to be doing a grand job. So much quieter than the other filter think its a keeper.

Just had the urge to check my nitrite levels. Didn't expect to see anything so soon but the test changed colour quickly to indicate 5.0ppm. Considering my cycle has so far been 8 days with 3 different filters is this a sign that its not all doom and gloom? Could good times be coming soon ? :rolleyes:

Todays reading is somewhere between 1.0ppm and 0.50ppm, a little hard to tell. Getting there though :good:

Now that the reading is at 0.25ppm should i re-dose or wait until it's at 0?

Most reactions

Back