My Fishless Cycle Log || Everything That Has A Beginning Has An End&#3

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

That will be fine or in that big 65L thing you mentioned.
Dont forget the heater.
Keep water you use covered as any chemicals or cleaning products will destroy your filter bacteria.

So todays test results are done. I'm finding it so hard to tell if my nitrite is at 0 or 0.25 it seems nowhere near the 0.25 but slightly off the 0 colour also :S
PH still holding firm.

So here is my plan for tomorrow, please tell me if this sounds OK as I'm having to empty the tank while decorating.

7:00 am - Ammonia and Nitrite test. Redose ammonia to 4ppm.
8:00am - empty tank of all water placing 65L in a large bucket along with heater so filter can be run off it for the day.
6:30pm - Refill tank with temperature matching water. Water will be treated of course.
7.00pm - Ammonia and Nitrite test of the water in the bucket! I'm guess that this should still class as a fair test as the water in the bucket was tank water and had 4ppm ammonia in to start with.
Once test is concluded place heater in the aquarium to maintain heat.
7.30pm - Finally add filter back to the aquarium.

Does this sound ok as a plan for the day? By the end of this the tank will have had atleast a 95% water change and laying the flooring in the lounge will be finished so the tank will have no reason to be majorly disturbed again.

sounds like a plan Raga, last thing you need is your hard earned bacteria stalling on you when you are so near to the end!

keep us updated

G

Good to see you have a plan for the move.
The 7:00pm test isnt vital but will keep your log updated.
Dont move your heater for a minimum of 15-20mins after switching it off as the glass can be fragile when subjected to temperature differentials.

So a report of my day.

All went to plan and infact everything took alot less time than expected including the decorating :good:

I have just put the tank back up an filled it with water (also created a new scape). I did try and add some warm water but the temp is still reading low. What I am therefore planning to do is wait for the water to warm through, I have just added the heater after slowly cooling down the other water it was placed in.

Once the water has warmed up I will restart the filter. I will not be testing for my log tonight (although I will test the new tank water to see how much nitrite and ammonia remains if any) I will instead add 4ppm ammonia at around 7-8pm and resume testing in the morning.

The heater should be able to go into cold water after it has been off for 15-20 min, it should be neutral to the touch at that point (note: not a good idea to touch a heater which is plugged in, so make sure it isn't).

So I am now getting double zeros in 12 hours! JOY!!

I think I have since thursday to be honest but wanted to make sure. So qualifying week begins although it might only go on till wednesday as I think I can pick up fish on wednesday evening. Exciting times.

Just had a check of the Nitrates I'm happy to see they are only at 10ppm. The water change I did really much have removed most of them. Such good news. Can't wait to get the fish now.

I think I can actually say the tank is cycled. Aslong as there are know glitches today and tomorrow the girlfriend may even pursuade me to get some of the fish monday and then test the water everyday for to weeks just to make sure. She suddenly is showing interest again an I want to keep it that way. So if I have to sacrifice some of the qualifying week so be it :unsure:

tested and added ammonia a little late tonight so will test alittle later as a result in the morning. Between 9.30 am and 10.30am

This mornings results were double zeros again. Tonight I will do a 90% water change and test everything as we may have some fishes tomorrow :good:

Congrats Raga, i completed today as well , just need to change 100% water and clean, re-scape and add plants and let settle after reducing temp...looking at fish then.

read the last posts in my log some great advice from the pro's for acclimatization.

:good: :drool:

Congrats Raga, i completed today as well , just need to change 100% water and clean, re-scape and add plants and let settle after reducing temp...looking at fish then.

read the last posts in my log some great advice from the pro's for acclimatization.

:good: :drool:

Was just reading your log while you were posting on here dude.

Congratz to you also. Are you going to empty the water from your filter also? That's one thing I'm not sure about when doing a large water change. Also I could never do a 100% as I'd suck up all my sand best i can manage is 95% but saying that my Nitrates are only at 10ppm after my large water change friday.

nope, i do when i do my filter maintenance , don't want to disturb the bacterial harmony i have at the moment, seeing that its great and doing everything inside 9 hours! next filter swish is around 3 weeks

i say 100% was bout 95% i changed down to the sand , letting it settle for a few hours then do a check test on the readings.

nope, i do when i do my filter maintenance , don't want to disturb the bacterial harmony i have at the moment, seeing that its great and doing everything inside 9 hours! next filter swish is around 3 weeks

i say 100% was bout 95% i changed down to the sand , letting it settle for a few hours then do a check test on the readings.

OK thats sounds good to me. I've been told that only really tamper with the filter once every two months or so. Replace anything that needs replacing and give the media a wash in some tank water taken from the tank. I'm going to try and avoid messing with mine for atleast another month and a half to ensure the bacterial colony settles and remains strong.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back