My Fishless Cycle Log || Everything That Has A Beginning Has An End&#3

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ragtagcurtis

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
:) So the date is Saturday 2nd April, and the time is 01.11pm. I've just tested my tap water and the readings are:

Tap water
PH – 7.4
Ammonia – 0pmm
Nitrite – 0pmm
Nitrate – 10pmm

I'm guessing this is pretty normal from looking at other peoples logs. Thanks to BIG BAD BARRY I have some donated filter media to hopefully make this process go alittle quicker.
The aim is to eventually have a tank that is ready to drop Cichlids into. The tank's a Roma 125L and I'm aiming for 2 Kribs and maybe 3 Fairy Cichlid's, I'm not sure if this is even possible in this tank but I have plenty of time to research :rolleyes:

As I've just swapped out my gravel for sand last night, I've only just re-added my filter and heater to the tank so I think its best to leave the adding of ammonia until this evening, giving the tank a few more hours to warm up and get going.

Over the days/weeks/months, or however long it takes I hope you join me on this journy and offer your tips and advice along the way. I'm happy to take all criticism and will try my best to follow advice I'm giving. Feel free to chip in with any other ideas you may have for the tank whether that be decoration, stocking and water enviroment related.

Finger crossed

..... Here goes.

D-day: ETA - 20:00
Day 1 - Ammonia added and at 4.0ppm
Day 2 - 14:40, Ammonia at 4.0ppm
Day 3 - 20.00, Ammonia at 4.0ppm
Day 4 - 21:00, Ammonia at 2.0ppm
Day 5 - 21:00, Ammonia at 2.0ppm again
Day 6 - 21:00, Ammonia at 1.0ppm, topped up to 4ppm
Day 7 - 21:00, Ammonia at 4.0ppm
Day 8 - 21:00, Ammonia at 4.0ppm, Nitrite 5.0ppm
Day 9 - 20:00, Ammonia at 2/3ppm.. Good signs :good:
Day 10 - 21:00, Ammonia at 1.0ppm
Day 11 - 20:00, Ammonia at 0.25ppm
Day 12 - 20:00, Ammonia at 0 / 0.25ppm (I'd guess closer to yellow its hard to tell) Re-dosed to 4.0ppm
Day 13 - 18:30, Ammonia at 3ppm, Nitrite is off the chart so 5+ppm
Day 14 - 19:00, Ammonia at 0ppm, Nitrite 5ppm still. Redosed ammonia to 2ppm
Day 15 - 19:00, Ammonia at 0ppm, Nitrite 5ppm still. Redosed ammonia to 2ppm
Day 16 - 21:00, Ammonia at 0ppm, Nitrite 5ppm still. Redosed ammonia to 2ppm
Day 17 - 21:00, Ammonia at 0ppm, Nitrite 5ppm still. Redosed ammonia to 2ppm
Day 18 - 20:00, Ammonia at 0ppm, Nitrite 5ppm still. Redosed ammonia to 2ppm. PH 7.6, High PH 7.4
Day 19 - 20:00, Ammonia at 0ppm, Nitrite 5ppm still. Redosed ammonia to 2ppm
Day 20 - 20:00, Ammonia at 0ppm, Nitrite ..... 0ppm :hey: :drool: :good: :fun:... Redosed to 4ppm
Day 21 AM - 7.30, Ammonia at 0.5ppm, Nitrite 5ppm
Day 21 PM - 7.15, Ammonia at 0 ppm, Nitrite at 0ppm. Redosed to 4ppm
Day 22 AM - 7.10, Ammonia at 0 ppm, Nitrite at 5ppm. Redosed to 4ppm
Day 22 PM - 7.10, Ammonia at 0 ppm, Nitrite at 5ppm (as I expected).
Day 23 AM - 7.30, Ammonia at 0 ppm, Nitrite 0 ppm. Redosed to 4ppm
Day 23 PM - 8.00, Ammonia at 0 ppm, Nitrite at 5ppm.
Day 24 AM - 7.30, Ammonia at 0 ppm, Nitrite at 0ppm. Reduced to 4ppm
Day 24 PM - 7.40, Ammonia at 0ppm, Nitrite at 0.25ppm.
Day 25 AM - 7.30, Ammonia at 0 ppm, Nitrite at 0ppm. Reduced to 4ppm
Day 25 PM - 7.30, Ammonia at 0ppm, Nitrite at 0.25ppm. ARGHHHHH :sad:
Day 26 AM - 7.30, Ammonia at 0ppm, Nitrite at 0ppm. Reduced to 4ppm
Day 26 PM - 7.30, Ammonia at 0ppm, Nitrite at 0ppm.
Day 27 AM - 7.30,Ammonia at 0ppm, Nitrite at 0ppm. Reduced to 4ppm
Day 27 PM - 7.30, Test was not a fair test due to water changes. Redosed to 4 ppm
Day 28 AM - 7.30, Ammonia at 0ppm, Nitrite at 0ppm. CYCLE DONE! QUALIFYING TIME
Day 28 PM - 10.00, Ammonia at 0ppm, Nitrite at 0ppm. Reduced to 4ppm
Day 29 AM - 10.00, Ammonia at 0ppm, Nitrite at 0ppm.
Day 29PM -
Day 30

Fingers crossed the mature media will kick start your cycle.

Enjoy your cycle, Keith.

Just added Ammonia and got it somewhere between 4/5 I think.
So a few days of just waiting for it to fall now i suppose :rolleyes:

Just added Ammonia and got it somewhere between 4/5 I think.
So a few days of just waiting for it to fall now i suppose :rolleyes:
With the mature media added you may well see some progress pretty quickly.

Keith.

You are 1 day behind me , same tank , adding mature media this evening from a very mature 240L!

We love it on this forum when the photo of the fully cycled tank with fish in is posted!

I will deffo post pics. Am I right in thinking it's ok to have your water temp at around 82f while the cycle is happening? The higher the better right?

The optimum temp for encouraging the correct type of bacterial development is 29c which is about 84f.
Dont get the temp higher than that and dont rely on the heater setting. Get a good glass alcohol thermometer if you dont have one.

Thanks, my temp seems spot on now. Considering getting a new external filter however.
If I add all this media to the new external will everything just carry on from where it was?

Just concluded todays test. Ammonia is still at 4.0ppm as expected.

Yes, keep the media wet and transfer it just before you turn on the the new external.
Again, ideal place for your current media is for it to be placed where the water first enters the filter.
Post details of which filter you get and the setup of the media in it to get the best advice.

I purchased this filter LINK
It seems to be doing a good job but sadly makes quite abit of noise. As its in the living room I can't see it staying long if we can't get rid of the noise. I keep giving it a wiggle but no luck yet.

Anyway another test and surprisingly still at 4.0ppm. I am surprised because i have at least had to replace around 1/4 water while messing around with the filter. Maybe I overdosed to start with. Bring on tomorrow.

It seems to be doing a good job but sadly makes quite abit of noise. As its in the living room I can't see it staying long if we can't get rid of the noise. I keep giving it a wiggle but no luck yet.

Anyway another test and surprisingly still at 4.0ppm. I am surprised because i have at least had to replace around 1/4 water while messing around with the filter. Maybe I overdosed to start with. Bring on tomorrow.
Hearing a lot of good things about these filters :good: , when you swap over remove all the new carbon media and replace with your current media. If you have any other current media left over then swap it accordingly, sponge for sponge or bio media for bio media.

Keith.

Hearing a lot of good things about these filters :good: , when you swap over remove all the new carbon media and replace with your current media. If you have any other current media left over then swap it accordingly, sponge for sponge or bio media for bio media.

Keith.

My old filter didn't have carbon so I left it in. The filter seems to be working fine although the pipework isnt upto much and like I said its quiet noisy.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back