Identify This Catfish!

Cgosch

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Help identifying this little guy would be great!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 386
Can you get a better image of full body please? It seems to be a shovelnose or synodontis but i cant tell its species. 

looks like a tigrinus? or some Amazonian species that are common. I just cant tell which

I'm trying to get a full body pic but this little guy hates the light, he only comes out in the dark

I hope these pictures help!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 425
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 423
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 424
In a what sized tank is it in? looks to me your tank is too small for it. it just looks like a tigrinus to me, which can get up to 4 feet long

It's not a triginus, it looks kinda like a red tail cat but is to black to be that. Kinda looks like marble catfish but still to dark, I'm not sure, it's really dark lol

It's a 60 gallon tank, just placed him in a small container for the pic

Is it a Leiarius Pictus? It could be a stressed one.... I have to admit I think it could be a monster waiting to grow...

Wills

Does certainly look a bit like that Wills, and id have to agree, most catfish that look like that grow to be monsters in need of at least 150 gallons+ easily.

Thanks for the feedback! I still haven't been able to find a picture online that matches my cat, but I'll post pictures as it grows and hopefully can get a positive ID

Its an Asian RTC or Asian redtail catfish

The Asian rtc is probably the closest match so far. I went back to the pet store today and the kind man told me it was a southeast Asian catfish hybrid, but he didn't know exactly what species. Thanks again to everyone who responded! I bought a bunch of guppies, ghost shrimp, and a rock cave to keep him busy hunting at night

be wary of tankmates though, I have seen one who has destroyed an axolotl. even though it was bigger than it. some tankmates like American cichlids could do well with them.

Most reactions

Back