Just tossing out a bit of advice

jaylach

Supporting Member
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
Going into summer you are likely to see an increase in spam emails just like in the winter with Christmas. Many spam emails received will have a link at the bottom to unsubscribe from further emails. Never ever, ever, ever click to unsubscribe from such emails.

Think about it... This came from a spammer which is basically a con artist. By clicking on the unsubscribe link all you are doing is to confirm that your email address is valid and active. The result will almost always be more spam emails.

I cannot remember the last time I got a spam email. But I do not give out my email to many sites. I can probably count them on my fingers. My banks, my broker and a few fish sites. Then there are a few places I shop. It helps that I do not use a smart phone. I also do not store any cookies or history on my PC.

I almost do not exist online except for on a few fish sites like here. And I block the trackers sites try to load. This is an old version of the software. So I use more to get what this one misses ;)
TFFcrop1.jpg

I do not unsubscribe if I get fishing emails, I add the senderd to my blocked sender list and put the spam into the trash. My eamil provider catches some of it and puts it into the spam folder.

Going into summer you are likely to see an increase in spam emails just like in the winter with Christmas. Many spam emails received will have a link at the bottom to unsubscribe from further emails. Never ever, ever, ever click to unsubscribe from such emails.

Think about it... This came from a spammer which is basically a con artist. By clicking on the unsubscribe link all you are doing is to confirm that your email address is valid and active. The result will almost always be more spam emails.
Thank you. I actually did unsubscribe from some political ones that found me after I signed a petition and those seemed to work. However earthlink spamblocker lets me block 500 domains and boy that works

The only emails I unsubscribe to are those I know are genuine - for example a shop where I bought something last week sends receipts via email, so when I got an email a few days later from the shop showing me what else they sell I unsubcribed.

Almost all my spam emails are caught by my email provider and put in the trash folder. I check their site every few days and block the senders. Unfortunately they decided emails from TFF were spam and blocked them from showing up in my account. So I now have an email address with another provider which is only used by TFF.

The legality of an email provider blocking emails they consider spam, even if they are legitimate emails intended for you, is a bit of a grey area.

False positive happens all the time. Generally, email providers have leeway in managing their own systems, and blocking spam is a common practice.

However, if you believe email was incorrectly blocked, you can usually report it to your email provider. Habitually the provider should provide you a way to whitelist these emails on your own without their interaction.

I had already added TFF to my 'safe sender' list but they still blocked the emails. When I asked the admins why I wasn't receiving emails from TFF they showed me the response they'd had from my email provider. It's the number of emails received daily from the same source that triggered the blocking. I didn't bother contacting the provider, it was just easier to set up with a different provider.
Apparently the provider is well known in the UK for doing this, and there's an email provider in the US which tends to do the same.

I cannot remember the last time I got a spam email. But I do not give out my email to many sites. I can probably count them on my fingers. My banks, my broker and a few fish sites. Then there are a few places I shop. It helps that I do not use a smart phone. I also do not store any cookies or history on my PC.

I almost do not exist online except for on a few fish sites like here. And I block the trackers sites try to load. This is an old version of the software. So I use more to get what this one misses ;)
View attachment 341144
I do not unsubscribe if I get fishing emails, I add the senderd to my blocked sender list and put the spam into the trash. My eamil provider catches some of it and puts it into the spam folder.
Sadly I do get a fair amount but, by law, my contact info is public knowledge due to my owning a couple of domain names. There are ways to ger around this but I'm not willing to pay for that as the spammers really don't bother me much. Also, getting spam, I can see if another new scam comes up and warn people.

I get around this by having over 10 email addresses ;) and never opening them. My oldest one currently has 8,261 unopened emails. I use one email per category such as subscription services, online orders, etc. Thinking about it now, that probably isn't a future-proof idea 😂

I get around this by having over 10 email addresses ;) and never opening them. My oldest one currently has 8,261 unopened emails. I use one email per category such as subscription services, online orders, etc. Thinking about it now, that probably isn't a future-proof idea 😂
I sort of do this with a Gmail account that I will never use actively as I don't trust anything Google. I use the Gmail account if I need to download an app or whatever that requires an email.

I sort of do this with a Gmail account that I will never use actively as I don't trust anything Google. I use the Gmail account if I need to download an app or whatever that requires an email.
That’s the one good thing about gmail is the ease of linking up to single use apps or websites that require an email to use. I had to use them a lot in college for my IT course. Password manager is a great help as well

Sadly I do get a fair amount but, by law, my contact info is public knowledge due to my owning a couple of domain names. There are ways to ger around this but I'm not willing to pay for that as the spammers really don't bother me much. Also, getting spam, I can see if another new scam comes up and warn people.
I have a couple of domains, which is why I don't use my domain emails, I use earthlink. Confusing to some but really confusing to spammers

You know what ? That very thought occurred to me and I do not ever hit that unsubscribe thing for exactly the reason you mentioned . Now here’s my question . Do they ever give up and stop pestering you ?

You know what ? That very thought occurred to me and I do not ever hit that unsubscribe thing for exactly the reason you mentioned . Now here’s my question . Do they ever give up and stop pestering you ?
Yes and no... If a spammer is human it is likely that they may quit but that is not the same with spam-bots as they don't tend to see the failures. This is where email 'rules' can become handy.

OK, rules.I don't use web based email but rather an email client which is an app that collects your emails. I am currently using Outlook 365 which is included in Office 365. There are other clients such as Thunderbird (put out for free by Mozilla.org which are the same people that do the Firefox web browser). Another that I've used is eM Client which can also be done for free but there is a limit of how many email accounts you can have for free. Rules are conditions that you can set up to handle how emails are processed on your local machine. I don't do this as I want to see what spammers are sending so I can warn people on my computer help forums but say you are getting spam-mails saying you can get free whatever by doing a survey from the popular store, Loews. You could set up a rule to scan the subject and automatically delete any email that the title contains the words 'Loews' and/or the word 'survey'. It is normally easier to set up rules in a local email client but can still, normally, be done through web based email.

The only emails I unsubscribe to are those I know are genuine - for example a shop where I bought something last week sends receipts via email, so when I got an email a few days later from the shop showing me what else they sell I unsubcribed.

Almost all my spam emails are caught by my email provider and put in the trash folder. I check their site every few days and block the senders. Unfortunately they decided emails from TFF were spam and blocked them from showing up in my account. So I now have an email address with another provider which is only used by TFF.
I run a spam filter on my email that removes all spam. I can select what email domains or users I let it filter through to my email application. I am very happy with it.

The problem is that a lot of websites require you to use a valid email as a username. In time, most of these websites get hacked, and the crooks get your email address and passwords.

Yes, I learned a long time ago about unsubscribing from spam emails too. Attempting to unsubscribe only verifies you are a valid email, then they spam you more and sell it to other spam websites. It works just like robocalls, once you pick up their phony call, they got you.

Most reactions

Back