Just tossing out a bit of advice

Does a computer ever gets tired of it's job ?
Actually, as odd as it may sound, the answer is a sort of yes. If a computer is left on long enough with several apps running eventually the system will run out of resources and start acting weird. The main issues is memory. Many apps, when closed, will not restore all the memory they use back to the system. Eventually the system will basically run out of memory causing all sorts of odd behavior.

I have two desktop systems that run pretty much 24/7. Both are home built. My main system is a beast and can run for weeks at a time but even it needs a restart now and then to totally free the memory (RAM, not hard drive). that system has 32 GB of memory. The second desktop only has 8 GB of memory and needs to be restarted every 3-4-5 days. Since the second system is 10 or more years old I consider restarting every few days totally acceptable.

So, in a way, a system CAN get tired.

These kind of software are habitually running on server class hardware and I can certify.

That windows 2003 Server can run many years without a single restart and flush millions of spams while relaying ten times more emails.

These kind of software are habitually running on server class hardware and I can certify.

That windows 2003 Server can run many years without a single restart and flush millions of spams while relaying ten times more emails.
If this is in response to my above post about memory it is a different critter than the vast majority of users are using. I'm not familiar with Windows Server 2003 but is it not a routine background task to free dedicated but not used memory? I HAVE, as a learning process, set up a server on one of my systems but used Apache, not Windows server. This was many years ago so I don't remember exact details but it seems that one of the background processes was memory control. To be honest my Apache setup worked quite well but only for local sites stored on my hard drive as I didn't bother to include a name server including my PHP setup.

Actually there are free utilities that will free up memory that is not needed for running apps but I find it easier to just do a restart now and then.

It sounds like you have a LOT more server experience than I but, if you would like to converse more on this, it would probably be best if we did it through PM's as I'm sure that we are already over most heads here.

Sever grade hardware with ecc memory does not suffer these problems. They have hardware memory control. And can regain lost "memory" space as it vacates without even the operating system noticing.

These boxes are 20k and more. I wouldn't put one in my home because of the incredible sound and energy hog they are. But stability is their primary function and they deliver for sure.

Sever grade hardware with ecc memory does not suffer these problems. They have hardware memory control. And can regain lost "memory" space as it vacates without even the operating system noticing.

These boxes are 20k and more. I wouldn't put one in my home because of the incredible sound and energy hog they are. But stability is their primary function and they deliver for sure.
So it sounds like I was right in that a dedicated server automatically frees RAM that is not actually in use and not really needed for function...

This is actually true. The supermarket checkout computers here get tired of their job and regularly knock off early. This usually occurs after 5pm and is most noticeable on Thursday and Friday nights. There are more self serve checkout faults on Thursday and Friday after 5pm and more of the machines go offline (play up and not work right) at these times. I am dead serious about this even though it's hilarious. Sometimes the self serve checkouts will play up on other weeknights but it's much less common than Thursday or Friday night. The joke at the supermarket is they want to go to a party that night and have packed up early. :)

This is actually true. The supermarket checkout computers here get tired of their job and regularly knock off early. This usually occurs after 5pm and is most noticeable on Thursday and Friday nights. There are more self serve checkout faults on Thursday and Friday after 5pm and more of the machines go offline (play up and not work right) at these times. I am dead serious about this even though it's hilarious. Sometimes the self serve checkouts will play up on other weeknights but it's much less common than Thursday or Friday night. The joke at the supermarket is they want to go to a party that night and have packed up early. :)
I work in retail, and when on tills towards the end of my shift I regularly have tills freeze for a couple of minutes and in some cases turn off completely. I thought it was just me! perhaps it's a worldwide problem šŸ¤” I wondered whether the tills might be using the CPU to plan an uprising instead of scanning Lager barcodes. If this is the case, it is game over ladies and gents šŸ«”

No , I donā€™t think it does . Iā€™m an old fool from the old school and it took me a long time to have it finally dawn on me that this stuff is automated and that thereā€™s no human involvement in most of it . Part of me still thinks that thereā€™s a clerk somewhere doing this in his office or cubicle but thatā€™s really gone the way of the blacksmith and the cobbler hasnā€™t it ?

Most reactions

Back