Identify This Catfish!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Cgosch

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Help identifying this little guy would be great!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 386
Can you get a better image of full body please? It seems to be a shovelnose or synodontis but i cant tell its species. 

looks like a tigrinus? or some Amazonian species that are common. I just cant tell which

I'm trying to get a full body pic but this little guy hates the light, he only comes out in the dark

I hope these pictures help!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 425
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 423
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 424
In a what sized tank is it in? looks to me your tank is too small for it. it just looks like a tigrinus to me, which can get up to 4 feet long

It's not a triginus, it looks kinda like a red tail cat but is to black to be that. Kinda looks like marble catfish but still to dark, I'm not sure, it's really dark lol

It's a 60 gallon tank, just placed him in a small container for the pic

Is it a Leiarius Pictus? It could be a stressed one.... I have to admit I think it could be a monster waiting to grow...

Wills

Does certainly look a bit like that Wills, and id have to agree, most catfish that look like that grow to be monsters in need of at least 150 gallons+ easily.

Thanks for the feedback! I still haven't been able to find a picture online that matches my cat, but I'll post pictures as it grows and hopefully can get a positive ID

Its an Asian RTC or Asian redtail catfish

The Asian rtc is probably the closest match so far. I went back to the pet store today and the kind man told me it was a southeast Asian catfish hybrid, but he didn't know exactly what species. Thanks again to everyone who responded! I bought a bunch of guppies, ghost shrimp, and a rock cave to keep him busy hunting at night

be wary of tankmates though, I have seen one who has destroyed an axolotl. even though it was bigger than it. some tankmates like American cichlids could do well with them.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back