How Do You Control The Algae In Your Betta Tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Loops

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi all

I have noticed every week I have to really scrub Lotus's tank due to algae all over my plants and the glass.

My other tanks does not suffer this due to good flow, but obviously Lotus's tank I can't increase the flow.

I have a bit of sponge over the filter outlet and there is hardly any flow at all.

What can I do?

Cheers x

how long do you have the light on for? and what watt is it?
dose it get direct sunlight?

Algae does'nt realy effect your betta's health..

either you can move his tank out of sunlight or pop down to your fish store and ask them for a algae eater and some algae waffers ( they dont always like eating algae so the waffers are treats :D )

hope i've helped!

either you can move his tank out of sunlight or pop down to your fish store and ask them for a algae eater and some algae waffers ( they dont always like eating algae so the waffers are treats :D )

hope i've helped!
your better of prevnting the algea insted of getting somethink to eat it and if your latking about a plec the common ones that you normaley egt at the lfs can get up to 2 foot long.

The light is 11w 6500k and I have it on from 12:00 til 9.00pm.

It is not in direct sunlight :good:

hope i've helped!
your better of prevnting the algea insted of getting somethink to eat it and if your latking about a plec the common ones that you normaley egt at the lfs can get up to 2 foot long.

Yeah I will sort the problem :good:

I always keep a little bristlenose plec with bettas, they keep the substrate clean and eat up odd scraps of food and eat lots of algae, ive some babies if you interested in the spring. di

maby try putting the light on a little less like from 3:00 to 9:00. what level light do the plant you hav need?

I always keep a little bristlenose plec with bettas, they keep the substrate clean and eat up odd scraps of food and eat lots of algae, ive some babies if you interested in the spring. di

I would love to but my Betta tank is only 28L so its way too small for one, but thanks for the offer x

maby try putting the light on a little less like from 3:00 to 9:00. what level light do the plant you hav need?

Yeah ok, I will give that a go, I only have lowlight plants. Anubias, Java Fern and Crypts. :)

yh them plants will be fine with les light. you could try a apple snail or shrimps or pygmy corys

Yeah I did try Pygmy Corydoras but Lotus thought they were food! :lol:

He is a very large Betta so they wereso tiny compared to him :)

I have added 2 Nirite snails which seem to be ok so far, (Lotus hasn't attacked them)

Many varieties of algae are triggered by small ammonia spikes. Too small to harm fish, so don't worry about Lotus, but large enough to trigger algae. Reduce your photo-period (which has already been recommended) and perform more water changes. Also, see if you can try to deduce what the ammonia source is. Have plants been losing leaves, how is your anubia planted? Overfeeding?

An even better question, what does the algae look like? There are so many varieties.

llj

Many varieties of algae are triggered by small ammonia spikes. Too small to harm fish, so don't worry about Lotus, but large enough to trigger algae. Reduce your photo-period (which has already been recommended) and perform more water changes. Also, see if you can try to deduce what the ammonia source is. Have plants been losing leaves, how is your anubia planted? Overfeeding?

An even better question, what does the algae look like? There are so many varieties.

llj

Hi ya, Thanks for the reply.

No leaves lost...Anubias is attached to a rock, java fern attached to some wood.

I don't think I am over feeding :/ , He has 6 pellets a day, sometimes more because he makes me :lol: I rarely see any pooh on the sand from him, although I can now see snail pooh!

The algae is green/brown, its on the Anubias and glass, also on the thermometer there is hair algae! :(

I will take some pics of the algae when I get home and post before I do the water change.

Most reactions

trending

Back