Help! Victim of a dump and run...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

JessicaKaeli

Reaction score
Hey Guys, new member here so take it easy!! I've been reading some threads. You guys are fierce.
So, I was "fish sitting" for someone while they renovated their house. They dropped off a tank that I know (even for a beginner) was put together by a 3 year old. Its a 10 gal tank filled with 5 fish. (2 are still living and are going strong) Fast forward to almost 8 months later and they won't come get their fish or even answer my calls regarding them. So yea, I'm calling it a dump and run. 3 of the 5 fish died shortly after the dump and run. Possibly new tank syndrome (poor fish) I have 2 left a platy (Molly) and a goldfish(Abigail). I've read these guys don't usually get along but they seem to be best friends right now. And To be honest now I'm attached to them. They greet me every morning, wagging tails and all...so stinkn cute. Ok So Considering their crappy parents, I wanna give them a good life. I'm going to set up a tank without neon rocks, plastic plants and scuba Steve. Mostly I want these fish to be happy, so I'm reading A LOT. I've ordered the fluval edge 12gal and I'm going to use eco complete substrate because I want a few living plants. I'm going to cycle the tank and test the water before I transfer anyone over. (Sorry this is so long) and then I'm dropping this damn neon tank on their front porch!

q1: do I try to use some of the existing water they are in if there are no issues with it? Or can I / do I have to cycle the water if I use some of their existing water in the new tank?
Q2: I've heard goldfish are assholes to other fish and they can grow ridiculously big. Should I get another goldfish? Or is the Tank too small for another. She isn't an aggressive fish and she loves her sister. I'd like to have more than 2 fish, I'm just nervous who's gonna get along with who.

Lastly, I'm open (practically begging) for ANY input/knowledge/advice...
Sincerely Jessica (fish sitter/rescue mission operations manager)

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to TFF!

If you haven't you should read the beginners section and how to cycle a new tank.

The important bacteria are not in the water but on surfaces (filter media, plants, substrate, decorations). You can jump start your new tank by using filter media of your old tank, which will transfer the necessary and beneficial bacteria.

Tbh your tank (12gal) is too small for even one (!) goldfish. Sorry.

Welcome to TFF!

If you haven't you should read the beginners section and how to cycle a new tank.

The important bacteria are not in the water but on surfaces (filter media, plants, substrate, decorations). You can jump start your new tank by using filter media of your old tank, which will transfer the necessary and beneficial bacteria.

Tbh your tank (12gal) is too small for even one (!) goldfish. Sorry.

Thanks for replying! Can I cycle the tank with the filter media in it? I read the Intro to cycle, collecting supplies and mentally preparing for it. About the goldfish...what do I do with her? What size tank do they need?

Hi and welcome to the forum.

That was a sneaky thing to do by you friends to dump the tank and fish on you.

Oh well. With you asking and researching, you're doing a much better job already :)

Now, regarding the cycle for your new tank (will go into details of that tank in a minute) as hobby5 already mention, simply transferring the filter from their current tank to the new one will work just fine, don't clean the filter or sponge in filter beforehand. If that's not possible or you will get a new filter, transferring the old media from current tank, cut the sponge up to fit into the new filter if necessary, that will help cycle the new tank fast as well, either method will work fine.

Right, Fluval Edge 12 gal, beautiful tank. BUT a pain to clean and maintain the tank. I know because I had one :lol:

I'd say that the Edge is not really for the beginner, if you can cancel or change the order that would be easiest and get a nice tank that's easier, Fluval do do lots of nice all in one set ups for sort of reasonable prices, just depends what model and where you get it from.

The last thing is, goldfish are cold water fish, means they don't require a heater but good filtration is a must. They can be messy fish in terms of fish poop!

A little more info on goldfish, you don't mention which species you have but this will help anyway - http://www.fishforums.net/threads/goldfish-for-beginners.417799/

Platies are tropical, meaning they need a heater, water temp to be around 24C.

Again, a little more information for you, this time platy - http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/xiphophorus-variatus/

As you may have noticed, not really compatible to have a goldfish and a platy in one tank :/

I'd suggest you to have a think about which you'd like to try, cold water for goldfish (of course depends on which goldfish you have already, common goldfish do grow huge whilst fancies are smaller and more manageable or going for tropical set up for Platies and perhaps rehoming the other, or even get an extra tank so you can keep both but of course that would mean more work and expenses.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

That was a sneaky thing to do by you friends to dump the tank and fish on you.

Oh well. With you asking and researching, you're doing a much better job already :)

Now, regarding the cycle for your new tank (will go into details of that tank in a minute) as hobby5 already mention, simply transferring the filter from their current tank to the new one will work just fine, don't clean the filter or sponge in filter beforehand. If that's not possible or you will get a new filter, transferring the old media from current tank, cut the sponge up to fit into the new filter if necessary, that will help cycle the new tank fast as well, either method will work fine.

Right, Fluval Edge 12 gal, beautiful tank. BUT a pain to clean and maintain the tank. I know because I had one :lol:

I'd say that the Edge is not really for the beginner, if you can cancel or change the order that would be easiest and get a nice tank that's easier, Fluval do do lots of nice all in one set ups for sort of reasonable prices, just depends what model and where you get it from.

The last thing is, goldfish are cold water fish, means they don't require a heater but good filtration is a must. They can be messy fish in terms of fish poop!

A little more info on goldfish, you don't mention which species you have but this will help anyway - http://www.fishforums.net/threads/goldfish-for-beginners.417799/

Platies are tropical, meaning they need a heater, water temp to be around 24C.

Again, a little more information for you, this time platy - http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/xiphophorus-variatus/

As you may have noticed, not really compatible to have a goldfish and a platy in one tank :/

I'd suggest you to have a think about which you'd like to try, cold water for goldfish (of course depends on which goldfish you have already, common goldfish do grow huge whilst fancies are smaller and more manageable or going for tropical set up for Platies and perhaps rehoming the other, or even get an extra tank so you can keep both but of course that would mean more work and expenses.

Thank you so much! The whole situation is kind of upsetting. I really feel bad for the fish and slightly defeated. Abigail looks exactly like a fantail from the pictures on that article. I didn't know they are a cold water fish. They gave the tank to me with a heater. And I just did what they told me to do sooo she's been living with a heater thus far. Poor thing. Thanks for the info. The more I learn, the bigger this mess gets. I guess I just have to really think all of it over and make a decision.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the meantime.. here's Abigail!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 119
Hi! Pretty sucky that they dumped the fish on you but on the upside you have fish children now!
I would treat it the same as when you buy new fish. Set up your tank, have it cycle for a week or two and feed the tank a lil bit of fish good every day or two and give all the plants a chance to grow and then put each of the fish into a baggie with water from their current tank. Float the baggies for a few hours in the new tank till the temperature is the same and then slowly start transferring new tank water into their baggies over the course of a few hours before taking them out and putting them in the new tank without getting baggie water in it. There's probably better methods but I think that is the easiest one. The reason id rather do it this way is to limit the amount of stuff that could possibly be wrong from the tank getting into your tank. But then again I'm not an expert and I'm pretty new to this as well.
Good luck to Molly and Abby and you on your new journey! ❤

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back