Help PLEASE: Betta "Finny" has bulge on tummy..

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Got epsom salt
Its most likely just me, but im against salts for fish as IMO they do absolutely nothing. Like, what is it good for-absolutely nothin' sing it with me now!
woops got carried away...

I think that's the same brand I bought a while back to use. Different, more experienced members, or the people at webwetmedia, may have suggestions.
Epsom salt helps draw fluid out, making it very useful for things like popeye, bloat, and other fluid-filled growths. Of course, take caution with it, as it can be potent with overdose or too much time in the bath.

Its most likely just me, but im against salts for fish as IMO they do absolutely nothing. Like, what is it good for-absolutely nothin' sing it with me now!
woops got carried away...
So you're having fun with this animals suffering? No surprise you two are close friends. Hopefully one of the decent people on this site will see my request for information before you clutter the postings up further with more of your clowning

I think that's the same brand I bought a while back to use. Different, more experienced members, or the people at webwetmedia, may have suggestions.
Epsom salt helps draw fluid out, making it very useful for things like popeye, bloat, and other fluid-filled growths. Of course, take caution with it, as it can be potent with overdose or too much time in the bath.
Thank you as always lyra.. I will be careful.

So you're having fun with this animals suffering? No surprise you two are close friends. Hopefully one of the decent people on this site will see my request for information before you clutter the postings up further with more of your clowning
Bruh chill the crap out, its a JOKE
I gave my opinion, I am friends very close Friends with Nickau, many people are including lyra I think? That was the most pointless comment I think I have read on this forum lmao. People tell me im to rude for not sugarcoating things, then when I do on this thread I get a dumb animal rights activist talking crap

Last edited:
How is that implying he is having fun with Finny's suffering? He just stated he thought it did nothing. Nick and DutchMuch weren't "having fun" with any animals suffering. They were simply stating what they thought, just not sugarcoated.

OK. I created an account just for this thread. How is Percy doing today? What are your water parameters?

I'm almost positive Percy has Dropsy which is most of the time fatal unless caught early. The first pic you posted on page 1 looks like he was pineconing where the tumor was. The bloating you're seeing is fluid retention which is another symptom of Dropsy.

I honestly wouldn't bother with salt as betta are freshwater fish and it will be hard on him. The best you can do is keep his water pristine with frequent water changes.

Also with the feeding remember that betta's stomachs are the size of their eyeball. Letting them eat as much as they want in an amount of time won't work with bettas as they'll gorge themselves. 2-3 pellets daily is perfect, and when fasting for constipation 2 days is nothing as they can go a week without food.

Last edited:

Update on Finny. Treated swollen tummy with three teaspoons epsom salt in his ten gallon for one week. Also thoroughly soaking pellets before feeding and substituting half food with thawed emerald entre "frozen food" to help his digestion. Epsom salt removed through several 50% water changes and his tummy swelling actually resolved! Thank goodness... But now.. He's got some fin rot starting. Sooo frustrating.! Of course immediately checked all parameters with my api master kit. 0,0,10ppm.. Same great quality/ parameters as usual.. Lfs recommended "more" kanaplex mixed with food? He received two courses a couple months ago for tumor with no improvement. Added 1 tsp per gallon api aquarium salt for now, but hoping for advice on different medication possibly if salt isn't effective? Maracyn plus? Maracyn two? Something else? His bloat is better.. Tumor on side the same.. Not "too" much fin material lost yet, but red/pink at tips of some areas of fins experiencing loss. Thank you for any help.
Apologies to the guys I got upset with as well. I guess I just reacted to writing style.. Idk.. Just want to help the little guy.

Any improvement is great!
The fin rot could be from the stress of treatment, I'd hold off on more meds for a little bit, unless he begins to look very bad.

Little guy passed away tuesday morning. Still very sad and missing him. He has to be in heaven now at least. Suffering over. Stopped eating for first time ever on Monday. Began hanging out listlessly on bottom. Swam erratically each time he changed places in tank. At least he didn't appear to be suffering alot. Just "fading." :( checked on him often through day, evening, and night. Was still alive at 2:30 AM. Stayed home from Dr appointment Tuesday to be there if he started suffering alot and needed me to put him down.. But when I checked at 8:00AM he had made one last effort and swam to surface. Found him in hid floating plants with little mouth at surface. Still had color and clear eyes. Thought he was still alive and since back at surface maybe made a recovery. But he was gone... :( Love the little dude. Buried by tree out front. Miss him dearly. Thank you all for helping him when he was here.
Sincerely.
John..
20170411_142203.jpg
20170304_091955.jpg

I'm so sorry he passed. :c Thank you for trying to save him, though. You did your best.

I'm so sorry he passed. :c Thank you for trying to save him, though. You did your best.

My sons 35 gallon fw tank. Helped him set up eight months ago. Beautiful. Even has a female betta in it for some time now. "Not" named... I only say hi once in a while. Personally gonna stay away from fishkeeping for foreseeable future. But hope anyone involved is always very careful with these beautiful creatures.
Sincerely,
John

Attachments

• 20170520_124709.jpg
    20170520_124709.jpg
    647.5 KB · Views: 97

Most reactions

Back