Help PLEASE: Betta "Finny" has bulge on tummy..

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

I wish I could offer some advice but I've never kept a beta (well not since I was a kid...and that was in a bowl). It does appear to be a tumor and from all the posts I've read on this board in the last year or so it does seem that betas are kind of prone to this sort of thing. I've seen a number of people looking for help with similar issues. I'd search around this site and maybe just google in general "beta with tumor" and see what kind of information you read.
Sorry he's not well, but I'm glad you're trying your best to help him.
Good Luck.

Are you sure it's not dropsy just the way the scales look lifted on him, but I'm no professional. Fun rot is usually caused by bad water quality, and doing frequent water changes should clear that issue up without any medication.
What are you water stats ammonia nitrate nitrite, size of tank and do you use a dechlorinator? Just for us to know, and for your future fish.

Are you sure it's not dropsy just the way the scales look lifted on him, but I'm no professional. Fun rot is usually caused by bad water quality, and doing frequent water changes should clear that issue up without any medication.
What are you water stats ammonia nitrate nitrite, size of tank and do you use a dechlorinator? Just for us to know, and for your future fish.
"Finny is 18-24 months old.. Lives in heated, filtered, cycled, ten gallon by himself. Body colors faded from dark blue to "blotchy" light and dark blue pattern fast ( over past two weeks since he badly tore dorsal fin on some ornament. His water parameters are, and have been pristine for at least six months. 0 ammonia,0 nitrites ,20ppm nitrates 79°. 50% water change once per week. Completed course of melafix after dorsal fin torn."
Check the other one: http://www.fishforums.net/threads/please-help-old-betta-finny.443807/

I saw you posted this issue in the Betta section already. I hope you find your solution soon. For the fin's keep doing water changes every 48hrs 25% it will restore itself. Betta's may change colour as they mature as i'am sure many other fish species do. especially if they were kept in a cup stressed in a store shelf, once they are free from confinement they will become happier and colours can change.

Finny still hanging on.. Tough little guy. But so sad to imagine him being unhappy and/or suffering.. Over a month past since last posts. Lump is a big larger.. And he has some swelling at bottom/tummy area now as well.. But not constipated. Still feed occasional blanched pea and find poop at weekly vacuum and water change each week. Still less active than his normal/ healthy level. Just sits on betta leaf alot. Maybe wedges in leaves of floating plants. And a few trips around tank each day is all.. Comes out to eat of course. Even still jumps for food occasionaly/daily... But I'm still terribly sad.. Does he suffer? I've considered trying to relieve pressure by anesthetizing and using syringe to draw fluid off? Even purchased eugenol/clove oil and syringe. But I'm afraid to hurt him... Feel pretty confident from research that it's mostly fluid. But I'm not "sure!"
Please help with advice.

He sure is a fighter. Any picture updates perhaps a top and side view this time? Water changes can do wonders when it comes to fish illness. Many people jump right-away to medications for just minor things such as fin issues. He maybe resting due to the lump now allowing him to move about as normally. But I may suggest letting us know your water perimeters as an update to know. You may also want to try our emergency section of this forum to see what more advanced users will say, and paste the link to this thread you already started so they can understand what's been going on since Feb your post.

20170401_103327.jpg
20170401_103327.jpg
20170401_103327.jpg
20170401_103327.jpg
He sure is a fighter. Any picture updates perhaps a top and side view this time? Water changes can do wonders when it comes to fish illness. Many people jump right-away to medications for just minor things such as fin issues. He maybe resting due to the lump now allowing him to move about as normally. But I may suggest letting us know your water perimeters as an update to know. You may also want to try our emergency section of this forum to see what more advanced users will say, and paste the link to this thread you already started so they can understand what's been going on since Feb your post.

Thank you for encouragement. Still doing 50% water changes weekly with temperature matched, dechlorinated water. Vacuum gravel with each water change. Alone in heated 79° tank. Clip on aquaclear filter with cycled filter media which is maintaining his parameters pristine. 0 Ammonia. 0 Nitrites. Less than 20ppm Nitrates. Ph in our area is always high however. Around 8. But this is same as lfs'. They even buy and sell fish, when it's appropriate' adjusted/acclimated to this higher PH.. Consequently most hobbyists just leave as is and most species are doing well.

20170401_103344.jpg
20170401_103344.jpg

Thank you for encouragement. Still doing 50% water changes weekly with temperature matched, dechlorinated water. Vacuum gravel with each water change. Alone in heated 79° tank. Clip on aquaclear filter with cycled filter media which is maintaining his parameters pristine. 0 Ammonia. 0 Nitrites. Less than 20ppm Nitrates. Ph in our area is always high however. Around 8. But this is same as lfs'. They even buy and sell fish, when it's appropriate' adjusted/acclimated to this higher PH.. Consequently most hobbyists just leave as is and most species are doing well.

Attachments

• 20170326_142319.jpg
    20170326_142319.jpg
    514.8 KB · Views: 110
  • 20170326_142319.jpg
    20170326_142319.jpg
    514.8 KB · Views: 149
Have you tried not feeding him for a few days and see if his belly goes down? It maybe over feeding I'm not sure or tumor. How is his poo? Try our Emerge Section.

Have you tried not feeding him for a few days and see if his belly goes down? It maybe over feeding I'm not sure or tumor. How is his poo? Try our Emerge Section.

Only feed a couple times each day. About total of 10 or 15 hikari betta gold pellets. Maybe 4 pellets, three times a day. 5 pellets twice, etc.. And please notice that issues began a couple months ago with well defined "lump" on left side of body. No swelling in belly till a month later. Pics of original lump will be uploaded again with this reply. With only the lump on side, he had no difficulty swimming or reduced activity for about an entire month. Not until the additional swelling in tummy did his activity decrease and lump size increase.
IMG_20170216_203318_2.jpg
IMG_20170216_203145.jpg
IMG_20170216_203318_2.jpg
IMG_20170216_203145.jpg

Also regarding not feeding.. Any advise to help me overcome feelings of extreme guilt? Have rarely gone without feeding the little guy.. "Especially" lately because I've believed, unfortunately, that it's been cyst/tumor, as well as swelling caused by systematic failure of kidneys and/or liver.. So "lately" I've been feeding the same "total" daily food, but when I have time I divide feedings into two or three feeding times a day to have more interaction with him.. Poor thing seems so sad.. Mostly just sitting on his leaf.. In fact the "only" thing he does throughout the day is to swim out to eat, so the thought of taking that away from him sacres me.. He could feel there's nothing to live for.

Definitely try not feeding him, for a couple days, just to see if it goes down at all. If you'd like, you can transition him into it with feeding a little less every day. For example, only 5 pellets for the next few days, then 2, then the fasting period. If it is something like overfeeding, that's an easy fix. If you don't want to fast him yet, try only one pellet a day.
As far as guilt goes, you could try an enrichment technique, like placing a ping pong ball in the tank one day, a small mirror for a few minutes, or draw shapes on the outside of the tank with dry erase markers. However, it's good to remember that fish of all species are capable of going days without food.
My last betta was the same way. He only came out to eat, and even then, he struggled with it. It's sad to see them like this. Keep us updated.

I agree. Stop feeding him a few days, them maybe give him pease blanched without skin mushed. Maybe twice a day see what happens. I've read fish can go two weeks without food.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Though Omega made a good suggestion, it doesn't work well with bettas. The majority will watch it sink to the bottom without touching it. A different food with the same effect would be better.

About total of 10 or 15 hikari betta gold pellets.

Also regarding not feeding.. Any advise to help me overcome feelings of extreme guilt? Have rarely gone without feeding the little guy..
You want advice on not feeding him?

Ok I will be brutally honest.

You are killing him by feeding him so much, His belly is swollen from overfeeding he will get SBD and die if you don't change your habits. At most that fish should have 4 maybe 5 pellets a day NOT 15,

The lump on his side looks like a tumor.

Most reactions

Back