Help PLEASE: Betta "Finny" has bulge on tummy..

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Bettafriend

Reaction score
Four days now. Water parameters all perfect for many months. In heated, filtered ten gallon by himself. Still eating normal and swimming. Though less active than normal. Bulge on "left" side of body? Slight protrusion of scales over area of bulge, but nowhere else. On antibiotic "Kanaflex" four days. Condition unchanged. Adding pics. Please help asap. Is he in pain? (
IMG_20170214_101538.jpg
IMG_20170214_101538.jpg
IMG_20170214_101543.jpg
IMG_20170214_101551.jpg
IMG_20170214_101558.jpg

Not familiar with forum enough to navigate and post where best seen, if seen at all :( being emergency, Im hoping anyone seeing this can help. Guide me to posting properly. Etc.. Finny has this bulge on left side. Desperately need advice on treating

Can you please try and get a close up of the side?

And please, if you know any additional members very knowledgeable in such things,please direct them as well.. I clearly don't know how to navigate this site well, though I need as much exposure and help as possible. . thank you so much.

That looks like a tumor, and there is nothing you can do about it Im afraid.

Thank you for quick response. First hope is to heal if possible.. But reduce suffering if necessary. Info is crucial. Can tumors grow almost intantly though? Have you seen this? I was thinking fluid from infection. Blockage.. Parasite?
How confident are you of it being a tumor?

It does look like a tumor to me, as well. I had some form of a tumor grow on an old female betta of mine, it came up overnight. She recovered well, hopefully he does as well.

Thank you for quick response. First hope is to heal if possible.. But reduce suffering if necessary. Info is crucial. Can tumors grow almost intantly though? Have you seen this? I was thinking fluid from infection. Blockage.. Parasite?
How confident are you of it being a tumor?
20170126_093506.jpg

That looks like a tumor, and there is nothing you can do about it Im afraid.
Sorry if I offended you in any way.. Really "do" appreciate your time and quick reply to my urgent plea for help.. Didn't want you to feel I was questioning your advice. Just so hard to hear and accept bad news.. And truly just want as many opinions as possible to have a pool of information to average and weigh to form the best possible diagnosis of Finnys condition before proceeding with any possible additional treatment/ care. To give a picture of my dedication regarding providing the best care for Fin. Last year he had a particularly stubborn case of fin rot. After trying two different avenues of treatment trying to heal him, the poor thing "still" wasn't responding, and knowing that if it reached his body he could die. So before trying "another" treatment, I wanted to be sure it was indeed the "best" course of treatment, so I had an exotic animal veterinarian visit Finny at home to examine and advise. Much to my girlfriends frustration it was pretty expensive "for a fish. " but he's my buddy. And he "did" recover. Simply continuing to do my best for him. Please accept my apology for any offense you may have felt. Just trying to continue doing my best for Fin..

Sorry if I offended you in any way
You did not offend me in any way. Thats why forums are great its peer reviewed.

Last edited:
Sorry if I offended you in any way.. Really "do" appreciate your time and quick reply to my urgent plea for help.. Didn't want you to feel I was questioning your advice. Just so hard to hear and accept bad news.. And truly just want as many opinions as possible to have a pool of information to average and weigh to form the best possible diagnosis of Finnys condition before proceeding with any possible additional treatment/ care. To give a picture of my dedication regarding providing the best care for Fin. Last year he had a particularly stubborn case of fin rot. After trying two different avenues of treatment trying to heal him, the poor thing "still" wasn't responding, and knowing that if it reached his body he could die. So before trying "another" treatment, I wanted to be sure it was indeed the "best" course of treatment, so I had an exotic animal veterinarian visit Finny at home to examine and advise. Much to my girlfriends frustration it was pretty expensive "for a fish. " but he's my buddy. And he "did" recover. Simply continuing to do my best for him. Please accept my apology for any offense you may have felt. Just trying to continue doing my best for Fin..
If possible, maybe get that vet to come back and have a look at him. I'm sure they could remove the tumor. Recently there was a goldfish that had one removed.
https://www.thedodo.com/senior-goldfish-has-surgery-2259516462.html

It does look like a tumor to me, as well. I had some form of a tumor grow on an old female betta of mine, it came up overnight. She recovered well, hopefully he does as well.
Thanks for the encouragement. If it "is" some benign tumor then I should definitely stop the "Kanaplex" antibiotic treatment.. Im just really afraid to do so. He's on 7th day of treatment today. Contemplating another partial water change and to see how he does with just super clean water. But I'm torn with the concern that if it "is" based on any bacterial infection maybe causing some sort of inflammation possibly causing a bloating effect, then stopping antibiotic treatment would likely allow bacterial infection to run rampant and quickly kill him.. Soooo hard to decide. Really wish I could afford vet again, but times are difficult right now. So any support from members expressing level of confidence regarding whether this "is" in fact a tumor, or maybe bacterial, or parasitic would be so welcome to help me feel im not shooting in the dark with my buddies fate. And again. Im sort of blind in my knowledge of posting on this site for maximum visability, so any help insuring the most members possible actually "see" my situation would be more than helpful. Thank you. Sincerely. I am holding steady with antibiotic course in anticipation of further advice

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back