Fluval Edge

Just thought I'd update, returned to a different LFS for another test (using API) and it turns out our ammonia and nitrite are spot on just nitrate is a bit of a prob. So, after purchasing our own liquid test kit (for cheaper than the internet) it turns out nitrate levels in our tap water is relatively high to start with. We have completed a 25% water change with RO and shall test again tomorrow. Fingers crossed!
I assume you have very hard water where you live?(RO water being soft)
What was your tap water nitrate results?
can you also post us your tap water pH results

Keith.

Yes, we have very hard water here in Dorset. PH 7.8, and Nitrate was 3ppm :)
If you are going to fishless cycle don't add your RO water, the bacterias that you want to colonise in your filter respond better to a pH of 7.4 to 8.4.
Which test kit did you purchase?, your nitrate reading seems a little odd(3ppm) or did you mean 30ppm.

Keith.

If you are going to fishless cycle don't add your RO water, the bacterias that you want to colonise in your filter respond better to a pH of 7.4 to 8.4.
Which test kit did you purchase?, your nitrate reading seems a little odd(3ppm) or did you mean 30ppm.

Keith.

The result was definately between 0 and 5 ppm for the tapwater and the kit is API's (typo earlier) master freshwater kit. True what you say about the tanks ph being bacteria friendly, but we have only changed 25% ro water today and the current ph of the tank is well between that range so all is well. The tank is only 23l so I guess 3ppm is normal ( considering the ratio of the unit)

Keith.

The result was definately between 0 and 5 ppm for the tapwater and the kit is API's (typo earlier) master freshwater kit. True what you say about the tanks ph being bacteria friendly, but we have only changed 25% ro water today and the current ph of the tank is well between that range so all is well. The tank is only 23l so I guess 3ppm is normal ( considering the ratio of the unit)
I wish my tap water was 3ppm nitrate.

Hiya just wanted to comment on this...

Just thought I'd update, returned to a different LFS for another test (using API) and it turns out our ammonia and nitrite are spot on just nitrate is a bit of a prob

Of course you stats will be perfect. You currently aren't dosing with ammonia...
Water stats look perfect until you add fish or ammonia (be it pure h/h ammonia or from rotting fish food etc). Then you realise you have no where near the bacteria levels needed to keep the levels down.
In a fishless cycle obviously this is fine, but I don't want you to get in any way confused and think that your tank is now ready for fish. If you put fish in there then it will begin cycling and you'll end up having to do some large daily water changes until the bacteria have grown enough to keep levels down.

Yes you may have had a bacterial bloom when you put the cycle stuff in, but that's probably just been cause by a residual (very low) level of ammonia from the dead bacteria in the bottle. It wont be enough to get any sort of a cycle started, and often a level high enough to cause a bloom isn't high enough to register on a test kit.

That's all well and good, but we have now got 5 ember tetras (fully aware on the processes of fish-in cycling and what it entails) I wasn't keen on the idea of adding ammonia myself so thought this was the best idea. I know there's alot of people willing to slate the advice of lfs staff but ours is excellent. Appreciate your comments obviously

Fish in cycling is never the 'best idea', as it definitely leads to exposing the fish to ammonia and nitrites, especially as I can't see why you would be 'unkeen' to add ammonia? It's a 9.5% solution and so it's mainly water anyways... However it is your decision, and so long as it was an informed one and you have plenty of water conditioner (and a test kit) to hand then good luck to you :D

Try to feed sparingly over the coming weeks, if it were me I would probably feed every other day at the most, and be on the look-out for some mature media as that will really speed things up and make it easier on the fish if you can get some.

I know the processes of the nitrogen cycle more than most (biology a level and zoology degree to thank for that). We have the API testing kit and shall be testing twice daily. Also hoping to get hold of some mature media when we visit the lfs on weds to top up our RO supply.

Thought it was time for an update seeing as we now have some fish (5 x Ember tetras). Water stats as follows (collected using API master freshwater liquid testing kit),

Tap water:

pH: 7.8
Ammonia: 0.25ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: between 3 & 4 ppm

Last test of tank water before fish:

pH: 7.4
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 2.5ppm

And now 32 hours after adding fed fish:

pH: 7.4
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm (? - guessing its pretty close due to the vivid yellow of the test result)

I know it's early days and expecting these to change dramatically...but hey its a start.

tank.jpg

I like it!

not a fan of ornaments in tanks, but that one seems to work with the tank layout. Nicely done.

it was the boyfriends choice! interestingly we looked into tikis and found that this one was a "tiki-kapakapa", in Polynesian culture this means the "progenitor of fish and birds", so really quite appropriate! :lol: thanks for your comments

Looking good, liking the way you have setup your edge :good:

Keith.

Tested water again this eve,

Ph remains 7.4, nitrite and ammonia both 0ppm...didn't bother with nitrate in the end.

Suspecting a higher readings and a water change tomorrow though. Oh, and the fish seem pretty happy with the set up and eating well :)

Most reactions

Back