Bright fish that can live together in a 14 gallon tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

BettaMan2000

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Any ideas on bright coloured fish to live in a 14 gallon tank?

Particularly other than neon tetra sized ones?

I've been thinking of multiple barbs together, probably a large(r) number?

Completely hypothetical at the minute, but am wondering what my options were?

Currently got 6 cardinal tetras, wonder what would be a good arrangement of fish with and without these?

First we need to know your water parameters.

P.s Barbs are a fish that should be kept alone as they are fin nippers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, we need to know the parameters of your source water in order to suggest suitable fish. But while we're waiting for that, I can say that no barb species will manage in this small a tank; the cherry might, but that is pushing things.
Even the cardinal tetra should have more space (Seriously Fish recommends a tank 60cm by 30cm as absolute minimum) but cardinals are rather quiet fish, not active swimmers like barbs, so this is a factor allowing less physical length for cardinals than barbs.

The hardness is 82 ppm = 4.6 dH. And the tank is 54 litres = 14 gallons and measures 60 x 30 x 30 cm or 24 x 12 x 12 inches.

Don't forget you need to sort out the ich before you think of getting more fish.

With the tank size you could maybe have a shoal of one of the smaller barbs such as cherry barbs which are just slightly larger than cardinal tetras. The bigger barbs all need bigger tanks.

To be honest, no shoaling fish bigger than cardinal tetras is suitable for a 54 litre, 14 gallon tank.

To be fair, that size tank is way too big for the 6 cardinals I’ve got, even though seriously fish might say otherwise, I just don’t agree imho

The cardinals you have won't be fully grown yet. And it's not a question of how they look in a tank, it's how big a tank the fish need. There is more to stocking a tank than just what the fish look like.

What about groups of cpd’s and lamb chop rasbora, etc or will they end up attacking my cardinals, I’ve almost given up on the community tank idea

Noted, but I can’t see them getting that much bigger!

If they are healthy, and in the right environment, they should attain over 1 inch, generally close to 1.5 inches, and sometimes even 2 inches. In aquaria they tend to remain around 1.5 inches. If essjay's dimensions (post #4) are correct, this tank is fine.

There is more to keeping fish that mere tank size and fish size ratio. This is a fish that lives in congregations of hundreds, even thousands, in flooded forests for half the year. It "expects" things, and to be in the best of health, it must be provided with something similar. Now, we can't all have a tank with several hundred (I have seen this, quite stunning) but keep it in mind.:fish:

What about groups of cpd’s and lamb chop rasbora, etc or will they end up attacking my cardinals, I’ve almost given up on the community tank idea

The Celestial Pearl Danio, definitely not here. On their own in this tank, yes. But not with cardinals or anything else in this small a space.

The lamb chop rasbora (Trigonostigma espei presumably, or perhaps the closely related and in my view more striking T. hengeli), yes, as far as with cardinal tetra. The rasbora remain in the mid to upper level, the cardinals tend to be mid to lower level, so a good combo from that aspect. Then we come to the tank size. A 29g (30 by 12 by 18 inches) would be ideal for both, plus some substrate cories etc.

Community aquaria are involved, as there are so many aspects to consider in order to provide the best conditions for each species. We need to remember that very rarely are the species we put into a community aquarium ever together in their respective habitats. Just because they are all "fish" does not mean they are going to thrive together. And surviving, which is sadly the best so many hobby fish can expect, is not at all the same thing as thriving.

My tetras are already around 1.5 inch, my tank is 30x30x60 so 12x12x24 inch could this house some rasbora too

To be honest, no shoaling fish bigger than cardinal tetras is suitable for a 54 litre, 14 gallon tank.
A Betta sorority?

A Betta sorority?

Even sororities exactly like their human namesakes can be lethal to each other and other smaller fish like tetras.

How many rasbora and tetra can I keep in my tank?

Maybe I could get some endless in there too?

What’s the best combo and how many of each?

Last edited:
Even sororities exactly like their human namesakes can be lethal to each other and other smaller fish like tetras.

How many rasbora and tetra can I keep in my tank?

Maybe I could get some endless in there too?

What’s the best combo and how many of each?

You have the minimum tank for the lambchop rasbora species, same as for cardinals. I would still want larger quarters for both together, but I will admit that if you are diligent in your maintenance (substantial water changes), and don't over feed, and with the live plants, it can work. I would get a group of seven.

Endlers no, not with these, completely different water parameters.

One issue with giving advice on a forum is that we don't really know the mindset of the members asking questions. I have been in this hobby over 25 years, and from the start I have been a researcher first, then the fish, never fish as any form of experiments. With a room of 8 tanks, I have back-up options if this or that doesn't work (thinking more of adding this or that species to a community tank). And I can read fish better than I could initially. But I know that what would work for me in this or that tank, would likely not work for many others. It is a delicate and sometimes difficult road we have to walk when we give advice. I often wish I could be less "no" and more "sure," but I put the fish first, always. And so must every aquarist or they are in the wrong hobby.

Oh no you dont put other fish in with a sorority.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back