Betta Tail Types

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I have a question. lol..again.

I just purchased a Betta for one of my friends xmas presents...and I knwo wha tmoast of the abbreviation means..but some of it I have no clue on.

OHM-BF

I know the OHM is OVer Half Moon..but what is the BF for? Anyone..... -_-

lol DOH!! I should have known that lmao.

I am so bad with abbreviations ..it's not even funny.

Thanks!!! :D

One more question (alas, I'm sure it won't be my last lol)

My new fish Det..
001Det.jpg

What type tail is he?

Marriane says he comes from HM parents/background..yet he is not a HM. Does that make him a Veil also..or what lol She didn't say otehr then he was not a Hm but came from HM parents.

I'm confused again lol. :unsure:

He looks like a delta tail. :) Meaning he does not reach the full HM spread. Check my descriptions again. :thumbs:

i always get messed up with vts and deltas, the tales are simular when spreadout but the deltas dont have that point on the end like the vts ;)

GD - It's actually quite easy to tell the difference with this trick - When the fish is fully flared, draw an imaginary horizontal line from the middle of where the tail connects to the body. If the tail is symmetrical, like I've mentioned in the descriptions, it's a delta/HM. If part of the tail is above it, and most of it below (non-symmetrical), you have a veiltail. I'll post some pics to show you the difference. :) HTH.

Here's a veil.

Attachments

• chocolateline.jpg
    chocolateline.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 123
And a delta. Notice how his tail is a mirror image above and below the line? Also, this doesn't apply to females.

Attachments

• bluehmline.jpg
    bluehmline.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 115
Julie I told you to take those red lines out of your tank but no you didnt and now look what happened, they have stuck themselves to your betta tails, what are you going to do now?

Okay moveing on Does anyone have any other meathods for determining if a female is plakat or VT? I was looking at a fem today and she had one branching, very pretty all black, probably wont be there tommorow But I didnt want to drop 15 bucks on her if she was a VT so I didnt get her :sad: Anyone have any other methods?

Hi. Here is a HM steel female. When we talk about tail, we have to get deeper what makes the tail. Now we into about how many rays split. This female has 16 rays.

Attachments

• fwbettasd1102790062.jpg
    fwbettasd1102790062.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 111
This male is 32 rays and it is an over halfmoon royal blue male. :)
Yes. both belongs to me. :) They will have champion line down the line for competition if I breed them. Colors will be green, steel, royal blue, and butterfly. I love to breed betta and they are beautiful!

Attachments

• 099hm.jpg
    099hm.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 140
i thought i might extend on the "comb tail" part. comb tail is actually not a tail type. you hear people calling bettas HMGeno and HMTraited. in truth what the comb tail is, is that it is a extended CT line. meaning somewhere in the fish forefathers/mothers there was a CT and now he/she now carries the CTGeno. just a little clarification.

Something else, its very hard, but possible, to have more than one tail type on the betta. i dont have any pictures of a good example, but i have seen on multiple occasions where there is a DT HM, he/she basically fills the imaginary circle perfect. you can also have CT HM, but this is hard to acheive also. Thai breeders have plakad CTs and HMs.

sorry if i confused anyone.

CCNM you Cant be plakat plus anything, plakat is the absence of any genetic variation, and its quite imposible to have something and not have it at the same time (well it happens with relationships but thats a whole different story). Also DT and HM are the same thing to different degrees so you cant do it there too, and Crown Tail Comb tail is the same story, Ive seen a DoubleTCT before but they are labled DoubleTCT's them and HMCT's are just aboput the only doubles traits you see.

yes you can have a two tail type plakad. plakad is a term for short fins. its just like long finned. but the fact that plakads can have CTs and HM traits, even DT means that they can. plakad is not really a tail type, more of a classification IMO

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back