Betta Tail Types

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Sorrell said:
I wondered when this can of worms would spill all over the place :lol:
You KNOW i'll get all up in people's grills when it comes to genetics...

:lol: :rofl: :lol:

(SRC, that's not at all meant as an insult or anything, I'm just joking around with Steph cause she knows my evil ways... :shifty: :p )

The article seems to be saying that tail types would refer to genes of the fish.

Halfmoons, Delta's, Double Tails and Rose Tails are bred from Halfmoon Geno's (or as the author would say Delta Tail Geno's). So the author seems to be saying there is no Halfmoon gene. A halfmoon results from the breeding of two delta's or halfmoons or a conbination of both, but having a halfmoon in the mix does not increase the rate of the halfmoon trait in the off spring.

I think the naming scheme we have come to use is one based more on differentation from a purchasers standpoint where a double tail Plakat is Different from a Double Tail betta. Technically the designations seem a bit incorrect, but we have to call them something.

ral said:
(or as the author would say Delta Tail Geno's). So the author seems to be saying there is no Halfmoon gene.
That is exactly what he's saying. I tend to believe him, considering his history and status in the field. It is an extremely important theory, because it implies that by figuring out the "magic" combination of environmental factors (in example quality of food, water cleanliness/pH, etc), we can maximize the number of HM produced in any given delta spawn.

Thanks for all the Betta tail info. It's been a very informative thread here, also wayyy confusing re: which tail type is what. Thankfully our local lfs only carry veiltails so I don't have to worry about it. (I need my two remaining functioning brain cells for other things, like eating, sleeping :rolleyes: ) Gorgeous photos and now I'm right wary of picking up any female Bettas in case I end up with male Plakats...THAT I could see Walmart doing in a heartbeat. How DOES that happen anyways? I mean how can male plakat fry end up in a female veiltail group in a store? :blink: Did the fish supplier have the hiccups when he was bagging the fish and accidentally dropped the wrong ones in the bag? :lol: I DO presume you're not saying plakats and veiltails could come from the same fry spawn? :crazy: That WOULD confuse me all to heck and back(and it's a short trip!). :rofl:

actually they arnt. to get plakad tails you must breed plakad x plakad. veil tails might throw one occasional, but it is very unlikly. it most likly isnt the breeders fault either. if seperatly bagged the fish store might mistake it for a female and put it in with the females. it is an endless possibility of situations.

can anyone tell me what my females tail type is?? please :D ty

Attachments

• bettafem.jpg
    bettafem.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 376
its a plakat betta-lover. you can tell by the point at the end of the tail. make sure it is a female before you try and breed this time.

lol thanks coconutman.. :*) .im positive this one is a female..another plakat...hmmm, odd...lol :X

Yup looks like a Plakat. Does she have a white spot/dimple behind her belly?

Another tail type for this thread. A CrownMoon. No what I was expecting though:

Are there any combtail photos available? I have one that seems to be a veiltail but yet have combtail features. He's blue with a black head and his entire bottom fin looks like a sort of combtail.

i've been looking around on the web but cant seem to find a pic, but has any ever seen or heard about triple tails??? and fuse fins, and fusetails??

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back