Betta Tail Types

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Wow, was surprised the first one was a veil tail. It looks just like a CT but with less dramatic ray extension.

I noticed tonight that my VT is completely smooth except one section on each fin that extends into two rays. Caught me off guard.

MAM - Yeah, pretty much. The IBC is trying to get rid of deltas all together, basically. HM's are ideal.

Amber - You're right, those aren't tail types. Mustard Gas is a color - blue or greenish body with yellow/chocolate fins - sometimes blue highlights in the fins. You can see an example of my MG in the first picture. A Butterfly isn't an actual color, but a color pattern. The fins (all of them ideally) have more than one color (usually 2) in rings.... for example - white near the body, and then a ring of red.

Below is a photo of Sorrell's fish - a red and cellophane (clear) butterfly. :) HTH.

Attachments

• butterfly.jpg
    butterfly.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 172
Ok, I have a Betta that has tail nothing like anything shown here.....sorry, I don't have a picture at the moment, but let's see if I can discribe him....

Red with a blueish wash on it's body (I know, that does not help ;) ).
Tail is "double" but not rounded like the Double-tail, it's more V shaped, and it has spikes like the Crowntail.
His dorsal and Anal fins look very similar to a Crowntail.

Anyone seen this type?

Sounds like a veiltail tail type, and a double tail at that. Is his dorsal twice the length of a single tail betta? He's probably also a crowntail, that's possible. Sounds like a very unique combination of genes, you've got a special fish. :)

Thanks for the reply juliethegr8t :)

Yes, his dorsal is long, but I don't know about twice as long, though? I just got some pictures of him ,but need to get them off the camera, and that programs not on this computer :X Is it ok for me to post him here?

And believe it or not, he's a PetSmart Betta :D

Hmmmmm

By the sound it sounds like a Crowntail x Double-Tail

now thats what a betta should look like, he's a very nice fish. im going to agree with joker on the ct x dt , it has the rounded tail like a dt but the rays are very prominent ;)

Hi..I'm pretty new to Betta's and I have 2 that I'm not quite sure what tail type they are. I'm assuming they are Veil Tails..but they aren't long so I'm not quite sure. Can anyone help clear this up for me..Thanks a bunch. :flowers:

Nin007.jpg

001Nin.jpg

and

001Han.jpg

Han002.jpg

Yup, those two are veils. They're very pretty. :wub: They look like they've just been torn or suffered from fin rot at one time, which made them shorter.

Juliethegr8t, I got two pics of my DT/CT(?) but neither really do him justice. He's so mellow, I can't get him to flare at anything :blink: Anyway, maybe you can tell from these?
04_11_19DTCTBetta1.jpg

04_11_19DTCTBetta.jpg

Any ideas? Definately a double-tail, but with pointed ends......

Actually, I think he is a veiltail with a split. All double tails have the extended dorsals, which your fish does not have. He does have comb extensions on his unpaired fins though, so he's a Veiltail Combtail. :) Very pretty fish.

So maybe I read that wrong....are you saying it looks like his tail is "split"? Or that's a tail type? His tail is naturally that way, not a rip or any external cause. It's a < shape with Crown points on top and bottom.

Ya know, it really doesn't matter...I love him anyway :wub: I was just curious after all the different types I hear about.

Mamaschild said:
So maybe I read that wrong....are you saying it looks like his tail is "split"? Or that's a tail type? His tail is naturally that way, not a rip or any external cause. It's a < shape with Crown points on top and bottom.

Ya know, it really doesn't matter...I love him anyway :wub: I was just curious after all the different types I hear about.
Yeah, that's a split, it very well could have happened very early on before you got him. The points at the bottom means that he carries the CT gene and is displaying combtail traits.

Here's a picture of one of my DTs and you can see how there is actually two tails extending from the base and I outlined the dorsal to show the size. Maybe we should say the dorsal is twice the width of non DT bettas?

Attachments

• dorsal.JPG
    dorsal.JPG
    20.3 KB · Views: 143
Ok, I hate to argue, but his tail isn't damaged. That's the way it is? I've had him for a while and even though some fin growth has occured, nothing has changed with his tail....it's almost exactly like when I got him. Well, the "combs" have lengthened, but no "Repair" to the tail. Or are you thinking this is a non-repairable thing?

Also, at my Aquatic Society show a couple weeks ago, they had one almost identical to him....< shaped tail, NO fin damage at all, BEAUTIFUL fish. Same "comb" extensions and everything? Is Sandiegofishes (Barb Bean) a member here? She can tell you about that one, as I commented I had one VERY similar.

I need to get him to flare somehow and get a goot pic of his fins. -_-

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back