Betta Not Doing Well

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I moved him into a glass bowl as he is not able to swim up and catch food no matter what type of food it is. However it does stress him moving him from tank to bowl, then back. This evening he ate 3 drops of pellets in the bowl but he laying on the bottom on his side hardly seeing his gills moving like normal breathing. I will assume he is 1. has some infection inside the gills i cannot see, and 2. he is too old to recover?

1. has some infection inside the gills i cannot see, and 2. he is too old to recover?

Generally speaking when fish have problems with their gills they try and move water over them more. Like we would gasp for air if we had lung problems. So their operculum will be moving more to push water over the gills

The correct way to put down a Betta is to net it and quickly place its head between your thumb and fore finger and crush its skull, Its quick and painless, the whole procedure takes under 5 seconds.

while the maximum recorded lifespan of Bettas is just over 10 years, this is mostly for lab raised individuals who have been given very large tanks, good water quality, and even an "exercise program" from birth.

So what you are saying is, Bettas kept correctly in a larger tank fed good food live longer than Bettas kept in death bowls ( anything under 10 gallon? ) Wow who knew?

A breeder friend of mine has several males living in 2 foot heavily planted tanks that are 7 years old.

Last edited:
i uploaded a quick private clip here. if you guys see an illness other than the obvious please let me know. Hopefully the 720p quality option will show up for you's shortly.

Darn ok idk, I thikt today I need to make a decision I don't like seeing him suffering anymore and it doesn't seem fair.

Clove oil takes too long causes too much stress and I do not recommend it.

Pls can you paste me a link to something else?

Here's everything you need.

The correct way to put down a Betta is to net it and quickly place its head between your thumb and fore finger and crush its skull, Its quick and painless, the whole procedure takes under 5 seconds.

this may sound cruel but if its death is inevitable, drop it into a sink disposer...very guick and easier on the owner than crushing its head:(

this may sound cruel but if its death is inevitable, drop it into a sink disposer

Im sorry but did I just read that? Are you f***ing kidding?

PS if you think my reply is rude, you should see what I wanted to reply with.

Last edited:
this may sound cruel but if its death is inevitable, drop it into a sink disposer...very guick and easier on the owner than crushing its head:(
That's the approximate equivalent of putting a dog down by putting it through a wood chipper!!!
:no:

wow omg that is terrible idea. if anything clove oil i will use. YIKES!

wow omg that is terrible idea. if anything clove oil i will use. YIKES!

If you do use clove oil, mix a dose vigorously in warm water first before using it, it does not mix easily with water straight from the bottle, and check to make sure it isn't mixed in alcohol, like it sometimes is.
Don't think I have to explain why breathing alcohol is not a pleasant way to go.

Clove oil takes too long causes too much stress and I do not recommend it.
I think the main trouble is that in many of the guides I have seen to using clove oil there is no mention of how it tends to work very slowly if not pre mixed in some warm water, and this can cause a stressful delay.

The advice of some online guides to mix it in alcohol does not help in the slightest.

Also one of the uses for clove oil in humans is topical numbing for a toothache.
Going by this, I would imagine that it would feel akin to full body novacaine to any fish it was used on.

Based on this, I'm not surprised that one website selling it as a fish sedative mentioned that it could cause the fish to act disoriented before going under.

Here is Nathan Hill's take on methods to use (and ones to avoid) when humanely ending a fish's suffering, in a Practical Fishkeeping article I came across.

https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/blog/articles/painful-fish-deaths-you-might-be-guilty

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back