Betta Not Doing Well

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

omega59

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Hi everyone been a while. I have my Fluval V 5 gals running for 4 years now and with a male Betta who is about 4 now too (got him with tank). He is having problems swimming and breathing. He sits at the bottom or top breathing heavy at times and will scoot to the surface rapidly.I also noticed he has trouble catching his food like he usually would it's as if he can't see?. I've increased the water surface and not sure what more I should do to try and cure him. There is really no signs of illness on his body I've looked very closely at his gills and scales. His tank levels appear normal i will list it below. I do 25%-40% water changes every week or other week. He eats Wardley Betta pellets (2 a day, occasional 3 once a day.)

Ammonia 0
Nitrate 0.025
Nitrite 0
PH 7.5-8.0
Temp of water is 26?

He is probably old. Bettas normally live for 2-3 years and sometimes a bit longer.

you can try doing a 50-75% water change and gravel clean the substrate each day for a week. That might help but I think he is just getting old.

As long as the fish can swim and eat there is no reason to euthanize him.

If you lower the water level it will be easier for him to get to the surface. Having some floating plants in the tank can give him something to rest on that is closer to the surface.

you can try different food. Flake food might be easier for him to grab, or use some frozen (but defrosted) food like bloodworm or brineshrimp. You can use a pr of tweezers to hold little bits of these foods just under the surface and he should find it easier to grab them.

Agree with Colin, while the maximum recorded lifespan of Bettas is just over 10 years, this is mostly for lab raised individuals who have been given very large tanks, good water quality, and even an "exercise program" from birth.

Sadly, For many of the common Bettas raised in Asian "Betta Factories" and then sold in cups, the average is less, closer to 3 to 6 years, Which I Presume is due to the long term effects of such treatment.

His eyes look pearled over of sorts he's sitting on the substrate. I pressum he will pass soon on his own. Or should I do it? I read dropped fish in boiling hot water will be quickest way if I don't have clove oil.

His eyes look pearled over of sorts he's sitting on the substrate. I pressum he will pass soon on his own. Or should I do it? I read dropped fish in boiling hot water will be quickest way if I don't have clove oil.

Please do NOT use boiling water to put down a fish! Fish have many of the same nerves to sense pain as people.

No, no, no, either use an overdoes of Anaesthetic, or a sharp hard blow to the head followed by using a needle or pin through the brain are the only two ways I would recommend having to do this awful task. These are the way to cause the least amount of pain possible to the fish.

No, no, no, either use an overdoes of Anaesthetic, or a sharp hard blow to the head followed by using a needle or pin through the brain are the only two ways I would recommend having to do this awful task. These are the way to cause the least amount of pain possible to the fish.

While it has not been proven that fish have the mental capacity to suffer to the same degree as humans, there is no question whatsoever from the evidence that they feel pain just as much.

As Lumpfish Guy mentioned, the most humane way to put down a fish without drugs is to destroy the brain as quickly and completely as possible.

Not for the faint on heart.

In addition to the oil of cloves, likely the most effective drug available to the general public is 2-Phenoxyethanol, sold by koi dealers and possibly pond supply stores as a sedative for koi.
The recommended dosage for these drugs is:
Oil of cloves:
10 drops per liter to sedate the fish, followed a couple of minutes later by 25 drops per liter to Euthanize.
2-Phenoxyethanol (Koi Sedative) :
The instructions included for sedation should be followed first, then, when the fish is fully sedated, a double dose to put him to sleep.

Morally, I feel like this should only be considered if there is no chance of recovery, and you honestly feel like you would rather die than be in the situation the fish is in.

Last edited:
.While it has not been proven that fish have the mental capacity to suffer to the same degree as humans, there is no question whatsoever from the evidence that they feel pain just as much.

They don't have the pain receptors which allow us to feel "pain" that is not to be confused with the receptors which allow us to feel contact ect. But that being said it is possible their nerves preform the role of both as some evidence suggests. So best to behave as if they do than think they don't and cause suffering.
As an FYI, because of this most governments legislate that fish do feel pain and need to be treated accordingly.

Apologies for double posting, failed to reply to omega.
While it has not been proven that fish have the mental capacity to suffer to the same degree as humans, there is no question whatsoever from the evidence that they feel pain just as much.

As Lumpfish Guy mentioned, the most humane way to put down a fish without drugs is to destroy the brain as quickly and completely as possible.

Not for the faint on heart.

In addition to the oil of cloves, likely the most effective drug available to the general public is 2-Phenoxyethanol, sold by koi dealers and possibly pond supply stores as a sedative for koi.
The recommended dosage for these drugs is:
Oil of cloves:
10 drops per liter to sedate the fish, followed a couple of minutes later by 25 drops per liter to Euthanize.
2-Phenoxyethanol (Koi Sedative) :
The instructions included for sedation should be followed first, then, when the fish is fully sedated, a double dose to put him to sleep.

Morally, I feel like this should only be considered if there is no chance of recovery, and you honestly feel like you would rather die than be in the situation the fish is in.

Everyone should keep a bottle of clove oil on hand. It’s the humane way to euthanize a fish. With that said, I had a betta that was doing just as you are describing in yours. I did daily water changes for 2 weeks. I also added a drop of infant liquid vitamins each day during those 2 weeks. I keep getting tarred and feathered by other members for reporting this but the fish is back to his old self. Swimming fine, eyes cleared up and his color returned. Coincidence? I don’t know, but if it ever happens to one of my other bettas, I’ll do the same thing before considering euthanasia. What’s it hurt at that point?

Most reactions

trending

Back