Betta In Fluval Edge Tank

I see no problem with the O2 content in the water due to the filtration. Honeythorn, while you are correct that greater surface area=greater gas exchange, this goes both ways. just becasue you put lots of O2 into a volume of water, those with higher surface areas have the potential to drive OFF O2 also (along with other dissolved gasses). having the water level right to the "rim" of this tank actually prevents O2 loss. add some plants and it is even greater during photosynthetic periods(ie, lights on).

^^ That isn't exactly correct. Water has a saturation point for both O2 and C02, so O2 would only be 'driven off' if you had artificially put the water past it's natural saturation point. The thing to do with O2 levels being low is due to the fact that not enough oxygen can dissolve fast enough. So instead of the water being at saturation point for the atmospheric pressure + temp etc, it is below that. And this can very easily lead to it not being enough for a fish. Especially a betta that has had the current turned down.

Also, plants may produce oxygen whilst photosynthesising...but at night they use oxygen. So a high plant + fish mass requires more oxygen when the lights are out.

Funny I've been posting in here today. I've just got back from town and the pet shop I get my hay from now has a Fluval Edge ( not set up or with fish ) on display. I've had another good look from below as it's on a high-ish shelf and I stick with all my observations so far. Still an awful design and far too expensive for what it is.

I have no idea what you guys are talking about. Atmospheric levels and O2 stuff is way over my head.
Few questions. Well just two. What do you think about 4or5 tetras or glo-fish as tank buddies? I think he has the temperment to be a community fish, as he's not very aggressive. I think he might get lonely. But I fear that the addition could cause undo and unneccessary stress, I'd wouldn't want for him to feel they were invading his space. I really don't want to see him kill anything, he's such a sweet fish. Worse case, I fear the new fish would contaminate the water with some disease like ich, velvet, etc...
Also, would it be a bad idea to get a floating plant for this type of tank? I thought it would add to his psuedonatural environment, and might help with the O2 stuff. But could it be obtrusive? Specifically the round, fuzzy ball kind, just one. I think it might be called riccia, but I might be wrong.

The filter can be turned up or down. I normally keep it on the low setting, but I turn it up when I do a waterchange to try to mix the new water with the old. That's my logic. Then I turn it back down. Doesn't seem to bother him.

How can you say he has the temprement to be a community fish if you've never had him with other fish... I promise you, you can't.

And particularly in an edge I WOULD NOT add anymore fish. He will not get loney, bettas live a very solitary life in the wild, normally only seeing other fish as they pass through the males territory.

Also I think floating plants would be a very very bad idea. They would end up filling up the already limited airspace making it hard for him to get to air.

When I said designer, I meant it's stylish nature, not the brand name. And as far as I can see, Hagen appears to be a big name in the aquarium world. Im sure your Eheim is nice, but $188 for filter is a little too rich for my blood. I just don't think $100 for the Edge is a rip-off. It's fully equipted, easy to set up, and works great for me. The Finding Nemo tanks are novelty. The Edge is styled to fit with a certain style and decor. Definately less novelty than the overpriced, less appealing, Biorbs. It was exactly what I was looking for, matches perfectly with the room it's in (style and space wise), and the price was right. I saw it, purchased it, used it, and loved it before I knew anything about CO2, gas exchange, and then some. But with all those things in mind, Im even more grateful that my fish is doing so well. I still think its fairly cheap in price, for what its worth. Its a nice tank and Beau agrees.

It was just a thought. I was concerned about crowding as far as both the fish and plants were concerned. They say 1 inch per gallon, and it is a 6gallon tank so I didn't think tiny tetras would take up that much space. But I don't mind him by himself, he stays pretty occupied with the stuff in his tank. He no longer seems so bored. And I can only be so entertaining. As far as lonely, it only seems natural for fish to be amongst other fish because that is how it is in nature, regardless of the distance they may keep. But as far as him having the temperment to be a community type fish, and having not exposed him to other fish... Well the only way to figure that out would be to expose him to other fish, right? He barely reacts to his reflection or strange objects in or outside of the tank. Plus I hear of many people who keep Bettas peacefully&successfully with other fish.

Is there anything alive that can be his friend in the tank that won't cause too much fuss?
Beau is fish enough for me, so we don't need anything else. Just curious too know what my options are.

I have kept a betta along with some cories and a bristlenose plec in a fluval adge for around 7 months now with absolutely no problems whatsoever.

As soon as he was put in the tank he was able to find the gap for breathing air and i do have mine filled to the top like it should be.

DSCF9690.jpg

DSCF9664.jpg

1" per gal rule applies to a normal tank with 'normal' surface area for gaseous exchange. With more fish you are risking creating a low O2 environment that could inevitably kill the occupants. Then there is the fact that it is tiny (volume wise), too small for most fish (there are a couple of exceptions, eg. ember tetras, chili rasbora just to name a couple)
Having said that, you shouldn't add fish unless you have a back-up plan. If the betta decides he doesn't want tank mates then he can and will kill them unless you can get them out quickly enough. On the other side he could have his fins shredded overnight.

And you are correct, fish do live within the vicinity of other fish in the wild. But I can assure you that a male betta would naturally claim MUCH more than 23l as his territory.

The only thing I would possibly suggest adding are a few shrimp, say 5 or so cherry shrimp. But only if you can give them enough hiding spaces.

To NaughtyT - Bristlenose catfish should grow to 5" and are meant to be housed in tanks no smaller than 80l. Once fully grown (if it gets to being fully grown), it may be quite a struggle to even get it out of the tank through the opening.

Also, full sized corys need upwards of 60l of space to act normally...you may well find that they die prematurely due to probably a mixture of stress, bad water quality and low O2 content.

Oh and just to make a point...having just read the fluval edge page, they suggest you put no more than 7cm of fish in this tank (3litres per 1cm of fish)

Which would be roughly 2.7" per 6gal so less than half an inch per gallon... And the reason they say this is purely down to the reasons stated above to go with gaseous exchange.

The BN is only in there for now as he is tiny and would end up being eaten in any of my other tanks,once he grows to a suitable size where he won't be eaten then he will be moved,that will be long before he is too big to come out of the tank,i ordered him from an online supplier and asked for a bigger BN but they sent me a 1cm baby that i knew would end up as lunch.

The cories are absolutely fine in there and act how cories should act (i have cories in 2 of my other tanks too) this tank works for me,it may not work for everyone or be to everyones personal choice but i have run mine successfully for 7 months and love it,no amount of negative posts will change my mind.

Honeythorn, you seem very confident when you tell Adamanicole that the only reason her betta is okay is that her tank is on an unlevel surface and has a large air bubble.

How then, do you explain the contradictions to what you are saying? I have an Edge with a betta and a few other fish (panda corys, black veil tetra). My tank is perfectly level and has no air bubbles. My betta is doing fantastic. Someone said a betta might panic if it could not find the airspace. Mine did, for the first half hour or less. But fish DO learn, and he learned quickly. Since the first day, he has no trouble at all and quickly goes to the surface hole when he sees me with the box of food too.

As I have a few fish in there, I've been doing regular chemical tests for oxygen levels and so far they have been consistently in the safe level (something users on here say is not possible so am I making this up, or is my test faulty?). I'm also testing my water daily for nitrates, nitrites, ph, etc. All are excellent (ok, we have hard water here, so it's a bit on the hard side, but I'm working on that). The filtration system IS designed to oxygenate well. Perhaps fluval has made adjustments that not everyone is aware of?

I know you will argue that I'm just a second person with a second fish, but your statement did not leave room for even a single anomoly. Hmm. Sorry, but it seems that those who hate the tank are as partisan as many who love it, and empiricism has flown out the window -- yet it's exactly what we need here. Real experiences, carefully weighed, and well tested and compared. That's how you ensure your animals a good life.

Yes, I bought the tank because it is beautiful (and most fish tanks are ugly has hell -- why someone hasn't come up with a nicer lid set up is beyond me). It allows me to keep my fish right on my breakfast bar where I see them many times a day and am very aware of how they are doing. I believe that being able to see and check on my fish very often gives me very good information on how they are doing. So in my case, I DID buy the tank with both my fish and myself in mind.

By the way, I've had many bettas, and while people say they hate current, I've noticed that they are as individual as people (partly why many love them) and some seem to go out of their way to play in the current. The betta I have now does. I'm surprised by how many "experts" feel that they are all the same. Bettas are loopy fish! They have such distinct personalities. In any case, the current on the sides of the tank is very low because my light silk plants do not move there. In the middle, it's strong. My betta goes into the high current and swims back and forth like he's playing, several times a day (I just know someone is going to insist that he's panicking to find the surface :) He finds that just fine, as noted ).

It's funny that people are so quick to believe that Fluval has no idea what they are doing (I happen to have selected this in part BECAUSE fluval makes it -- I'm pretty sure they are still considered a great company). You may be surprised at how well the supplied filter oxygenates. The Edge heater is also fantastic with no exposed glass and an unbreakable cover. They have done a nice job on this.

No, I would not put goldfish in here because they would create wayyyy too much bioload. Nor would I put fish who love lots of room to swim. My panda corys, though, are doing fantastic.

All argument about who is right aside, I wanted to point out that this "absolute" statement just does not hold up and that it's more important to find out how the fish are doing, not who has the morally "correct" attitude toward this tank.

Now, if I can hear some arguments from people who own the tank and have had trouble, or who allow for the fact that nothing can be said to be true for certain without question, I truly would love to hear that. I respect the dedication of everyone who loves fish and wants to ensure they are kept in the best conditions. Perhaps there is something to this tank setup that not everyone is aware of yet?

Why are my fish doing so well? (I've had several other tanks and these fish are some of the healthiest I have had -- not one loss, and everyone is bright, shiny, active, and without signs of trouble. My betta had velvet when I bought him, but we isolated him, treated him, and he's great now).

Just skimmed through this topic and I struggle to understand how people keep communities of fish in these tiny tanks >_<

Edges are TINY, the only thing I'd keep in them is shrimp, and that's if I was given one, I'd never buy one. The Edge here costs around £85-£90 new. I got a 65L (17g tank) a year old for £65, including everything, filter, even fish, chemicals, the lot. I will soon be upgrading a 30L of mine to the 65L for it to be a giant planted shrimp tank with a few metallic livebearers.

Keeping shoaling fish in a tiny Edge just ain't right. There's no swimming space! Danios and common Tetras NEED over 65-70L. It just makes the mind boggle. I have had a play with one of these in a pet store, and it's a real pain just to get your arm right in to clean the far corners. I'd rather have a plain rectangular tank thanks.

The Edge and the Orbs are just playing into style concious fishkeeping newbies wanting something stylish to look at, not for someone actually interested in PROPER fish care.

Gah and bleh.

Not nessecarily, if I wasn't a poor student I'd be tempted to get one myself. There are plenty of experienced fishkeepers who like nano tanks, the Edge is pretty much exactly the right size and looks very nice. The filtration is very powerful for a tank of it's size, the lighting is better than most nano tanks I believe, and to be honest the price isn't that bad when you compare it to it's competitors.

If you come up with a decent stocking idea (of which there are plenty if you think about it), then it's great.

I love nano tanks, have had up to 4 going at one time, now have 2, but would not bother with an Edge for one. I need better access to do planting, get in nice decor like bogwood, how would get a nice big bit of slate in the edge? You wouldn't! It would get jammed in the tiny opening. Instant fail.

Most reactions

Back