Betta In Fluval Edge Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

dkbmxr18

Reaction score
Hey all!

Just wondering if a betta would be okay in a fluval edge tank. From what I read they need to breathe from the surface. However, the edge only has a small 4x4" access to air. Since the water fills all the way to the top. Just seeking your advice before I think about doing a betta tank!

Photo of my tank

newtank3.jpg

What kind of filter does that tank have on it? Bettas do not like currents, so that's something to keep in mind. Is "the edge" part near the filter?

I just wanted to add (edited) to say that I just googled your tank and see it has an adjustable water flow, right? If so, you can reduce it to around 33 gph, which would still be too strong for a betta, so what you do is stick filter foam around the outtake valve and that slows down the water flow enough to minimize the amount of water motion the betta has to swim around in. Best thing is to find a betta with smaller fins (possibly even a female betta). One of mine (a male one) is a double-tail and I have foam wrapped around both the intake and out take to keep his fins safe!

Bettas may be said to be more hardy (according to pet store employees) and I'm not sure if that is true, but one thing I'm realizing is they need pampering! ;) Personally, I would hesitate to put a Betta in a tank that has such a small of an open breathing hole.

Your tank is very cool looking. Best of luck :)

What kind of filter does that tank have on it? Bettas do not like currents, so that's something to keep in mind. Is "the edge" part near the filter?

It's just the stock one that comes with the tank. It has an adjustable flow which slows down the water quite a bit I was going to some foam to put around the inlet tube as well to slow it down even more.

Glad you asked this mate, as I was thinkin of getting a Betta fish for this tank when I buy it next week :p

But... I mite go pure shrimp setup... soooo hard to choose lol :)

Best of luck with yorus mate!

or dwaf puffer tank? :p haha

Due to the lack of airspace I really wouldn't. I think that's a real fault with these tanks, the way oxygen gets into the water for fish to utilise, is through the air mixing from above, usually with the aid of surface disturbance (which bettas dislike immensely ) increasing the surface area of the water and allowing more oxygen.

Since this tank will not have that air pocket above the water surface, then the oxygen content of your water is likely to be quite low. Bettas do of course have a labyrinth organ enabling them to survive in a low oxygen environment, but this only really works because they can take air and oxygen from that air pocket at the surface. But you don't have one . In which case this tank would really not be a good idea for a betta at all.

Due to the lack of airspace I really wouldn't. I think that's a real fault with these tanks, the way oxygen gets into the water for fish to utilise, is through the air mixing from above, usually with the aid of surface disturbance (which bettas dislike immensely ) increasing the surface area of the water and allowing more oxygen.

Since this tank will not have that air pocket above the water surface, then the oxygen content of your water is likely to be quite low. Bettas do of course have a labyrinth organ enabling them to survive in a low oxygen environment, but this only really works because they can take air and oxygen from that air pocket at the surface. But you don't have one . In which case this tank would really not be a good idea for a betta at all.

The space is big enough that a Betta could find it right? Would a highly planted tank help with the oxygen problem? I did a search and found a couple photos of people with a Betta in the same tank. I know the instruction manual lists a Betta as one of it's recommended fish?

I've seen one of those tanks in my lfs and the top is sealed glass yes? If the water fills this completely then is the only airspace where that box at the back is? I presume that's the filter and lighting? I also presume there has to be a gap there otherwise you can't get into the tank so I guess that may be enough for a betta.

Plants will provide some oxygen yes and if you do get a betta then the tank needs to be highly planted regardless as they like to hide in and rest on them.

I wouldn't do it myself but It's up to you of course.

Yes you do. Well, obviously you could choose not to but that defeats the point of the tank design, which is to be able to view the tank from nearly all sides and above like a rectangular bubble.

In a way this tank is no better than a bowl in terms of surface area since filling it all the way to the top removes the air above that mixes with the water. If anything it has less surface area than a half filled bowl ( not that that makes bowls ok for bettas since they definitely are NOT in any form ).

It's a nice looking tank but the designers seem to have thought more about how it would look on an executive desk, rather than how well it actually functions as a fishtank.

The space is big enough that a Betta could find it right? Would a highly planted tank help with the oxygen problem? I did a search and found a couple photos of people with a Betta in the same tank. I know the instruction manual lists a Betta as one of it's recommended fish?
Many instruction manuals recommend fish that should NOT be in the tank they're selling. My 3-gallon eclipse came with a box that showed two gold fish on it, which would be an insane stocking since gold fish grow far too big. Also, you can see 1/2 gallon bowls sold for Bettas. Doesn't mean those are right, either.

Also, others may have online photos of their bettas in the Fluval Edge, but you have NO idea how long their fish have been alive for. For all one knows, they could have just put the fish in, and in excitement, snapped a few photos. The fish may not survive too long :(

Re: space in general. . .6 gallons is fine for a Betta, as long as the fish has access to the surface. Also, a gentle filter (and heater - which you have).

as long as the fish has access to the surface. Also, a gentle filter (and heater - which you have).

But it doesn't have much access at all that's the point. The tank has a sealed glass top that you fill up with water so there is no air surface at all in the main surface area of the tank. It's literally water then glass. The only airspace that I can "see" on this tank ( and I have examined one in my lfs before ) is under that box at the back4 inches square of exposed water will give seriously poor oxygen. One of the numerous reasons fish shouldn't be kept in bowls, including anabantids like bettas, is that the surface area is really tiny because the bowl narrows at the top, this tank has effectively the same type of thing going on with only the small amount of exposed water under the hatch available for oxygen absorbtion and for the fish to come to the surface.

Like I say, they are nice modern looking tanks but they don;t seem to have been thought out for the needs of what's supposed to live in them. And the price of them is extortionate. I wouldn't keep anything except shrimp in something like that. Even anabantids need more than a 4x 4 area of airspace. They get more than that in the dry season in the wild!

My personal views on this would be no not a good idea simply due to the design and the fact there isnt a large surface area for the betta to breath from plus if it does get sick there are going to be many more problems along the way. There are plenty of other fish that would look great in there though that would really appreciate complete submergance and strong filtration :)

No way would i do it !!!
the only hole there is where the filter is pouring water back in to the tank and this may scare the betta
Also if the betta looses air ive seen mine dart to the top and as there is no air there the betta could panic and not find the tiny hole and thus cause the betta to drown
At least with bowls all they have to do is follow the sides to the top where as this is flat!
Ive seen one in my lfs as a shrimp tank and it looks amazing

I agree it would make a superb shrimp setup with loads of mosses and so on. Crystal reds would look wonderful.

Thanks for all the input everyone! I'm just going to keep my Danios and glass shrimp until I figure out what I want to do with it since they are all doing great. I'm going to start doing some research of shrimp tanks.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back