The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

well just done another water change for my fish in cycle - first week over

PH 7
nitrate 0
nitrite 0
ammonia 0

and no deaths......all 10 corys happy.. as well corys lol.......so must be doing something right. :good:

Just got home from work and excited to be able to get the rest of my stuff and start cycling tomorrow. Well, in theory, anyway. My test kit hasn't arrived yet but may arrive tomorrow. If it doesn't, I'll either have to wait or may just buy an ammonia kit depending on how much they are.

My pipettes for measuring things out probably won't come for a while since I think the seller I bought from on eBay is Chinese. Does anyone know where I might be able to buy them IRL?

My shopping list for tomorrow is a stand for my tank, gravel, a non-return valve and an airway splitter. I'll also see what nice rocks they have, but I'm leaving wood until I add in plants. Also, I need a little notebook to keep a journal of my cycle (and to make notes on various species to take to the shop with me when I eventually reach that stage) and a jug to make for easier water changes as at the moment I only have a bucket. These are the two things I'm likely to forget since they won't sell them at the fish store.

Just got home from work and excited to be able to get the rest of my stuff and start cycling tomorrow. Well, in theory, anyway. My test kit hasn't arrived yet but may arrive tomorrow. If it doesn't, I'll either have to wait or may just buy an ammonia kit depending on how much they are.

My pipettes for measuring things out probably won't come for a while since I think the seller I bought from on eBay is Chinese. Does anyone know where I might be able to buy them IRL?

My shopping list for tomorrow is a stand for my tank, gravel, a non-return valve and an airway splitter. I'll also see what nice rocks they have, but I'm leaving wood until I add in plants. Also, I need a little notebook to keep a journal of my cycle (and to make notes on various species to take to the shop with me when I eventually reach that stage) and a jug to make for easier water changes as at the moment I only have a bucket. These are the two things I'm likely to forget since they won't sell them at the fish store.
i use a medicine syringe.. :hey:

i use a medicine syringe.. :hey:

I got some modelling syringes from model zone

Well the fate of the "not quiet so bionic" tank is almost decided, it is probably fixable, but too expensive and too risky to ship, so unless someone wants a vivarium in the next week I will be indulging my appetite for destruction on it.
On the plus side, ordered my replacement tank, a nice brand spanking new Juwel Rio 400, should arrive next weekend!

while your waiting some LFS will test your water for you for a small fee which will tide you over for a couple of days :good:

Well the fate of the "not quiet so bionic" tank is almost decided, it is probably fixable, but too expensive and too risky to ship, so unless someone wants a vivarium in the next week I will be indulging my appetite for destruction on it.
On the plus side, ordered my replacement tank, a nice brand spanking new Juwel Rio 400, should arrive next weekend!

Awsome, makes my lil ole 180 seem a bit inadiquate. How goes the bucket cycle?

Awsome, makes my lil ole 180 seem a bit inadiquate. How goes the bucket cycle?

Looking pretty good, see link in sig.

I think I will get my first zero for Nitrite today or tomorrow, the question now is will I be on 12 hour testing before switching to the Rio

Hey all,

Got my tank mostly set up now. Got my substrate today, went for half gravel and half sand. Washed it out for ages and ages but couldnt quite get the water to run completely clear. Got 9 litres in my 60 litre tank now, will probably fill the rest up tomorrow morning. The water is a tad cloudy but I'll whack the filter on once it's full and hope it clears up. I think some of the cloudiness may be my sand as well so that should settle down soon.

Hoping my test kit turns up tomorrow, I'm eager to get started!

Hey all,

Got my tank mostly set up now. Got my substrate today, went for half gravel and half sand. Washed it out for ages and ages but couldnt quite get the water to run completely clear. Got 9 litres in my 60 litre tank now, will probably fill the rest up tomorrow morning. The water is a tad cloudy but I'll whack the filter on once it's full and hope it clears up.

Hoping my test kit turns up tomorrow, I'm eager to get started!
nice one...
I purchased a second tank yesterday, with mature media, heater, filter, sand and ornament ,light in lid.
Bargain price of £40
I halfed the mature media and put a bit of each in each tank. hoping it would speed things up...
the second (new) tank went down to 2ppm overnight..which was good...but i am just so eager to see nitrites!!
the filter will clear it Cezza, im sure. This hobby needs alot of paitence....which id known that before i bloody started!! :lol:

Two weeks ago I went into the shop because I wanted a goldfish bowl, and now I have a 60L tropical tank :p

The plan for tomorrow is to fill the tank with water and dechlorinate it before I go to work, then leave the filter and heater running while I'm gone. Fingers crossed, my test kit will arrive tomorrow and I can start cycling when I get home.

I asked at my LFS if they had any mature media but they just tried to sell me a bottle of instant cycling stuff, which made me sad. I've got a bottle of that stuff that came with my tank that I plan on using as per the instructions, on top of the normal cycling method. It might not help but it can't hurt. Would've really liked some good old fashioned bacteria.

Saw some awesome little coloured LED lights in Pets at Home today, I want them so bad! I've spent enough on my tank for the moment though, but might look into it again when I'm getting nearer to getting fish.

Two weeks ago I went into the shop because I wanted a goldfish bowl, and now I have a 60L tropical tank :p

The plan for tomorrow is to fill the tank with water and dechlorinate it before I go to work, then leave the filter and heater running while I'm gone. Fingers crossed, my test kit will arrive tomorrow and I can start cycling when I get home.

I asked at my LFS if they had any mature media but they just tried to sell me a bottle of instant cycling stuff, which made me sad. I've got a bottle of that stuff that came with my tank that I plan on using as per the instructions, on top of the normal cycling method. It might not help but it can't hurt. Would've really liked some good old fashioned bacteria.

Saw some awesome little coloured LED lights in Pets at Home today, I want them so bad! I've spent enough on my tank for the moment though, but might look into it again when I'm getting nearer to getting fish.
oooh they sound nice.....have you a link?

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/micro-led-light-blue-by-marina-58077

This is a link to one of them. They don't seem to have them all listed on their website, but it seems they come in white, blue, red and green. Would be great to light up a few caves with them.

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/micro-led-light-blue-by-marina-58077

This is a link to one of them. They don't seem to have them all listed on their website, but it seems they come in white, blue, red and green. Would be great to light up a few caves with them.
ooohhh YUM! :wub:

Water added today. The water was rather cloudy but I've left the filter running while I'm at work so will hopefully have cleared up by the time I get home.

My filter seems rather noisy, which is annoying since it's about a foot from my bed. I'm going to cut out a sponge surround for it to hopefully cushion and muffle the noise. I plan on doing this for my air pump as well, though this is less crucial since I'm only gonna have that one on during the day.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back